Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: strange
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers strange Post 31843 by LivinFree on Wednesday 13th of November 2002 10:26:37 PM
Old 11-13-2002
By the way, yes, you do need to update the DB before it'll see any files...
Also, seeing that you are using slocate, there are some things to keep in mind.
slocate stores user permissions to make sure a normal user can't see files they shouldn't... Try doing something like "slocate exec" as a normal user, then execute the same query as root - you'll usually get more matches as root...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange error

Hi all, i executed a script. cat <filename> | grep <pattern> | awk '{print $1}' | read a i get the answer when i execute it in the shell env (no problem with that) as ./<name>.ksh when i tried the same in cron (as an entry in cron) value is not being read in the variable a through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange question

Good day. I whant to put in a "readkey" function into my script. My script will be running in "real time". Basicaly I whant to add a eg. "Press X to exit" statement into my script. More or less like the read command, but I don't whant it to wait for the user to press enter. eg. Readkey. If no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blooper
5 Replies

3. AIX

Strange ls results..

Multipart question.. Can anybody explain why this happens : -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1531061 Feb 13 21:45 filename1.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1760706 Feb 10 22:10 filename2.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1525805 Aug 16 2005 filename3.log -rw-rw-r-- 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Something strange...

Hi all, Thanks for any replies and for reading in advance. We have upgraded one of our database instances to 10g on a Solaris 8 box, anyhow the other day it started trying to ping loads of weird IP addresses that we don't use, since our systems all run on pretty similar IP's. It all behind... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Logic

I am trying to read a file and skip few records based upon the following two columns. Pipe delimiter used between the two columns. Column1|Column2 Property|CutOff Target|11111 Min|9999 Max|10000 Comment|This is a test Property|Weight Target|222 Min|3434 Max|77777 UOM|mm ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange one (likely something simple...)

Right folks... this is probably something simple that I'm missing as it's early, but can anyone tell me what's going on here: The Script: cougar:/usr/hxscripts>vi ~/test.ksh "/usr/home/branch/users/tech/test.ksh" #!/bin/ksh LOGDIR=/usr/hxscripts/LOGS/logmeoff/ # Logging directory,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Strange Messages

Dear Solarizer, Every time i log in to the sheel i always got this messages, How to stop this messgaes permanently. tpx@plood/export/home/ $ Jul 29 11:35:00 plood sendmail: unable to qualify my own domain name (plood) -- using short name Jul 29 11:35:00 plood sendmail: unable to qualify... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpx99
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange output with du

Can someone please explain why I get two outputs with the du command? The first one gave me one. I also didn't ask for the second directory so why did it give that directory? $ du -h "/media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist" 775M /media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist $ du -h "/media/Part... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

10. Solaris

strange numbers when df a fs

Hi, when i execute a df, look what such a strange numbers appear Does anybody know why these numbers appear??? is it critical?? is there a way to mend it? df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d704 2033295 18446744073707800956 3722957... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
3 Replies
UPDATEDB(1L)															      UPDATEDB(1L)

NAME
updatedb - update the slocate database SYNOPSIS
updatedb [-u] [-u path] [-e path1,path2,...] [-f fstype1,...] [-l [01] ] [-q] [-v,--verbose] [-V, --version] [-h, --help] pattern... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents slocate, a security-enhanced version of locate. updatedb is simply a link to slocate that implies the -u option. OPTIONS
-u Create slocate database starting at the root directory. This is the default behavior when called as updatedb. -U path Create slocate database starting at path path. -e dirs Exclude directories in the comma-separated list dirs from the slocate database. -f fstypes Exclude file systems in the comma-separated list dirs from the slocate database. -l <num> Security level. -l 0 turns security checks off, which will make searches faster. -l 1 turns security checks on. This is the default. -q Quiet mode; error messages are suppressed. -v Verbose mode; display files indexed when creating database --help Print a summary of the options to slocate and exit. --version Print the version number of slocate and exit. ENVIRONMENT
SEE ALSO locate(1L), UPDATEDB(1L)