Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers display went awkwards after issue kill pid Post 31833 by yls177 on Wednesday 13th of November 2002 08:06:03 PM
Old 11-13-2002
okay, let me clarify.... my question is that sometimes the screen will get messed up .. and so this "reset" will help... ??
yls177

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass pid to kill using script

Hi there, i wonder if anyone can help is there any way that i can write a script that will kill all current ftp processes, for example if ps -ef | grep ftp produces 3 active proceses, then I would like to somehow extract the PID for each one and pass that to kill -9 has anybody done this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

KILL without PID

Hellow Experts i have one problem. i run one script in backgroun. and i want to kill that script with only script name..... so what's the solution.. for your info my script name is "testscript" n it contains "sleep 100" thanks.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckypower
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

When kill [pid] does not work...

Hi, On my Linux machine, using Bash, I sometimes run into a situation where doing the following does not seem to work at all. kermit@fastbox ~ $ ps -A | grep firefox-bin 5375 ? 00:06:57 firefox-bin <defunct> 5624 ? 00:00:00 firefox-bin kermit@fastbox ~ $ kill 5624... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kermit
7 Replies

5. AIX

kill -3 <PID> ... where the output file goes?

Hi all, I am generating the coredump of my JBoss, and by default it puts it in to a particular directory. i.e. JBOSS_HOME/. I would like this output file to be created, lets say in /tmp/dump/. I tried the following: kill -3 9404940>/tmp/dump/out.txt But it created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroon_a
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Kill process with dynamic PID?

Hello, I have problem with killing red5 process running on linux server. As this process is continuously changing its PID so it can't be killed with "kill -9 PID" command. First I used following command to list RED5 process ps aux | grep red5 which showed me root 5832 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Kill process with dynamic PID?

Hello, I have problem with killing red5 process running on linux server. As this process is continuously changing its PID so it can't be killed with "kill -9 PID" command. First I used following command to list RED5 process ps aux | grep red5 which showed me root 5832 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a PID using script

Hi, I wrote a script to kill a process id. I am able to kill the PID only if I enter the root password in the middle of the execution because I did not run as root i.e after i run the script from the terminal, instead of killing directly, it is killing only after entering the pass when it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumarme_1
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill PID with one liner

Hello Friends, I've been trying to write a one line which checks java processes and filter them for a user (testuser) and then check process arguments with PARGS command and then check if there is certain patterns exists in pargs output then kill the process. I have tried the following so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

10. AIX

Kill pid

I created a program to kill long running pid processes. I am getting the following error message: -f command cannot be found. I also want to count the number of pids that are killed and append the results to a text file. I am new to shell script programming. 1.The first part of code... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
10 Replies
KILL(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   KILL(2)

NAME
kill -- send signal to a process LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int kill(pid_t pid, int sig); DESCRIPTION
The kill() function sends the signal given by sig to pid, a process or a group of processes. sig may be one of the signals specified in sigaction(2) or it may be 0, in which case error checking is performed but no signal is actually sent. This can be used to check the valid- ity of pid. For a process to have permission to send a signal to a process designated by pid, the real or effective user ID of the receiving process must match that of the sending process or the user must have appropriate privileges (such as given by a set-user-ID program or the user is the super-user). A single exception is the signal SIGCONT, which may always be sent to any descendant of the current process. If pid is greater than zero: sig is sent to the process whose ID is equal to pid. If pid is zero: sig is sent to all processes whose process group ID is equal to the process group ID of the sender, and for which the process has permission; this is a variant of killpg(3). If pid is -1: If the user has super-user privileges, the signal is sent to all processes excluding system processes and the process sending the signal. If the user is not the super user, the signal is sent to all processes with the same uid as the user excluding the process sending the signal. No error is returned if any process could be signaled. For compatibility with System V, if the process number is negative but not -1, the signal is sent to all processes whose process group ID is equal to the absolute value of the process number. This is a variant of killpg(3). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
kill() will fail and no signal will be sent if: [EINVAL] sig is not a valid signal number. [ESRCH] No process can be found corresponding to that specified by pid. [ESRCH] The process id was given as 0 but the sending process does not have a process group. [EPERM] The sending process is not the super-user and its effective user id does not match the effective user-id of the receiving process. When signaling a process group, this error is returned if any members of the group could not be signaled. SEE ALSO
getpgrp(2), getpid(2), sigaction(2), killpg(3), signal(7) STANDARDS
The kill() function is expected to conform to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
April 19, 1994 BSD