Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: memory regain
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers memory regain Post 31149 by Kelam_Magnus on Saturday 2nd of November 2002 01:09:34 PM
Old 11-02-2002
It sounds like you have runaway procs that are consuming your memory. As time goes on they take over more and more of your available memory as it is freed by other procs. You need to determine which procs are using the most memory and then decide to whether to kill and restart them.

I don't know what type of monitoring tools you have on Redhat, but i bet you do or can download a patch for one to read the performance on your host.

Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

2. Programming

how to round up a memory address(memory alignment problem)

Hi, I try to marshal a unsigned int and a char * into a buffer, and then unmarshal them later to get them out. I need to put the char * in the front and unsigned int at the end of the buffer. However, my system always give me "BUS ERROR". I am using Sun Sparcs Sloris 2.10. My code to marshal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
6 Replies

3. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

5. Programming

How to deal with lots of data in memory in order not to run out of memory

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to manage memory when I have to deal with lots of data. Basically I'm indexing a huge file (5GB, but it can be bigger), by creating tables that holds offset <-> startOfSomeData information. Currently I'm mapping the whole file at once (yep!) but of course the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emitrax
1 Replies

6. Solaris

restrcit physical memory with zone.max-locked-memory

Is it possible to restrict physical memory in solaris zone with zone.max-locked-memory just like we can do with rcapd ? I do not want to used rcapd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

7. Solaris

relationship or difference between entitled memory and locked memory

Hello solaris experts, Being new to solaris containers, from Linux, feeling difficulty in understanding certain concepts. Hope somebody can help me here. I understand that, & some questions .... Locked memory -- memory which will not be swapped out at any cause. is this for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
0 Replies

8. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to regain the focus back to the launch window?

Consider this code snippet below:- char=`which afplay` if then xterm -e 'while true; do clear; echo "Press Ctrl-C to Quit..."; afplay /tmp/pulse.wav; done' & > /dev/null 2>&1 fi This launches a second terminal window that generates a specific waveform for the next calibration of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
curs_memleaks(3X)														 curs_memleaks(3X)

NAME
_nc_freeall _nc_free_and_exit - curses memory-leak checking SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> void _nc_freeall(void); void _nc_free_and_exit(int); DESCRIPTION
These functions are used to simplify analysis of memory leaks in the ncurses library. They are normally not available; they must be con- figured into the library at build time using the --disable-leaks option. That compiles-in code that frees memory that normally would not be freed. Any implementation of curses must not free the memory associated with a screen, since (even after calling endwin), it must be available for use in the next call to refresh. There are also chunks of memory held for performance reasons. That makes it hard to analyze curses ap- plications for memory leaks. To work around this, one can build a debugging version of the ncurses library which frees those chunks which it can, and provides these functions to free all of the memory allocated by the ncurses library. The _nc_free_and_exit function is the preferred one since some of the memory which is freed may be required for the application to continue running. Its parameter is the code to pass to the exit routine. RETURN VALUE
These functions do not return a value. PORTABILITY
These functions are not part of the XSI interface. SEE ALSO
curses(3X). curs_memleaks(3X)