Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if argument passed is an integers Post 31125 by Vishnu on Friday 1st of November 2002 01:45:55 PM
Old 11-01-2002
Code:
echo $string | grep "^[0-9]+$"
echo $?

$? will be 0 only if $string is a sequence of digits and nothing else...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print all argument passed

like i have script with which i have passed arg list :eg: i/p: scriopt1 arg1 arg2 arg3 .... argn o/p: arg1 arg2 arg3 .... argn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check that passed parameters all have the same extension?

$ ls monkey.txt banana.csv tree.txt $ myscript monkey.txt tree.txt All extensions ARE alike. $ myscript *txt All extensions ARE alike. $ myscript monkey.txt banana.csv All extensions are NOT alike. $ myscript * All extensions are NOT alike. My brain has given up; what's the simplest... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File not recognized when passed as argument

I have the below script in file read_file.ksh if ] || ] then echo "Required one input file" echo "Enter a file to get char count:" read $FILE_NAME if ] then echo "valid file" else echo "Not a valid file." fi When run as read_file.ksh detail.csv or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if passed arguments is users

i want to check passed arguments one by one and if it is user print home director of that user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: testman84
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for ftp files passed in command line argument

i want to write a shell script function that will ftp the files passed in the command line . i have written a shell script for ftp but how will it do for all files passed in command line argument , i am passing 4 files as argument ./ftp.sh file1 file2 file3 file4 code written by me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rateeshkumar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that check the argument passed to it and prints error if test condition is not met

I want to make a script that check for the argument passed to it and generates an error in case any character/string argument passed to it. I am using below code, but its not working. can anyone help. #!/bin/bash if ]; then echo 'An integer argument is passed to the script hence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable passed as argument

I have a script. #!/bin/sh cur_$1_modify_time=Hello echo "cur_$1_modify_time" When I run like sh /root/script1 jj I expect value "Hello" being assigned to variable "cur_jj_modify_time" and output being "Hello" ie echoing $cur_jj_modify_time But the output comes as # sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Read a json file passed as cmd line argument

usage: myscript.sh config.json config.json: { "HOST":"abc", "DB_NM":"xyz", "USR_NM":"asd", "PWD":"xxx", ......... ......... ......... ........ } myscript.sh: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RGRT
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting number of argument passed to a shell script

Hi Experts, I have been trying to work on a simple shell script that will just add the two argument passed to it. Here is what i tried : #!/bin/bash welcome(){ echo "Welcome to this Progg. which will accept two parameter" } main_logic(){ arg=$# echo "Number of argument passed is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
4 Replies
expr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   expr(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
arguments DESCRIPTION
takes arguments as an expression, evaluates, then writes the result on the standard output. Terms in the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to the shell must be escaped. Note that rather than the null string, is returned to indicate a zero value. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments can be preceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, 2's complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by The list is in order of increasing prece- dence with equal-precedence operators grouped within symbols. Returns the first expr if it is neither null nor otherwise returns the second expr. In the UNIX 2003 environment, returns 0 if the first expr is null or and the second expr is null. Returns the first expr if neither expr is null or otherwise returns If both arguments are integers, and if the comparison is satisfied, expr returns otherwise it returns expr returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers; other- wise returns the result of a lexical comparison (note that and are identical, in that both test for equality). Addition or subtraction of decimal integer-valued arguments. Multiplication, division or remainder of decimal integer-valued arguments producing an integer result. The matching operator compares the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. expr supports the Basic Regular Expression syntax (see regexp(5)), except that all patterns are ``anchored'' (i.e., begin with and, therefore, is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of characters matched (0 on fail- ure). Alternatively, the pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. The length of expr. Takes the substring of the first expr, starting at the character specified by the second expr for the length given by the third expr. Returns the position in the first expr which contains a character found in the second expr. Match is a prefix operator equivalent to the infix operator Grouping symbols. Any expression can be placed within parentheses. Parentheses can be nested to a depth of as specified in the header file EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the collating sequence used in evaluating regular expressions and the behavior of the relational operators when comparing string values. determines the interpretation of text as single- and/or multi-byte characters, and the characters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C" (see environ(5)). If is set to it enables the UNIX 2003 Standard environment. International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. RETURN VALUE
As a side effect of expression evaluation, expr returns the following exit values: Expression is neither null nor zero. Expression is null or zero. Invalid expression. An error occurred while evaluating the expression. DIAGNOSTICS
Operator or operand errors Arithmetic attempted on a string EXAMPLES
Add 1 to the shell variable For equal to either or just return the last segment of a path name (i.e., Beware of alone as an argument because expr interprets it as the division operator (see below): A better representation of the previous example. The addition of the characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator and simplifies the whole expression: Return the number of characters in WARNINGS
After argument processing by the shell, expr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If is an the command: resembles: as the arguments are passed to expr (and they will all be taken as the operator). The following works: AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1), environ(5), lang(5), regexp(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
expr(1)