Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: About Ping
Special Forums IP Networking About Ping Post 30795 by S.Vishwanath on Monday 28th of October 2002 07:53:26 AM
Old 10-28-2002
Yes, this was from the HP-UX machine.

Actuall I had put this HP-UX machine system to reboot & was continuesly pinging from my local windows desktop to check whether this system has come up or not.

When the HP-UX system started comming up initially I got the Quenching reply & after some time in started replying normally.

That's it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping

Hi there hope list can help I'm looking for a command that does the following lets say i ping a server 00.00.000.00 and this server is up and running how do i get the ping command to return a UP or a Down meaning if the command is true do this if the command is False do this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemex
2 Replies

2. AIX

ping

We can ping out but the return never comes back even to localhost ping localhost PING loopback: (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0 ms it just sits there.... any ideas, any files to check (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ping

Hi , I have one system installed on Linux Red Hat 3.0. I have ip of system 3.156.168.*** and i want to ping some port that is on this IP which command i can do this? sam70 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam70
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

can't ping by ip

hi, I m trying to ping ip on the network . The machine is started but i can't access and can't ping it .. But when i restarts that machine that works fine..... can anybody have an idea about this problem ?? if then reply .. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tahir23
2 Replies

5. Linux

Not able to ping

Hi All, Need your help one more time. I am trying to ping a linux machine which is not responding to ping. However traceroute can reach the machine and I can log in to it by ssh. I have checked /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all it is already set as "0". It is not happening in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Can't Ping

I have an old MP-Ras Unix system. I have setup netowkring but am unable to ping any local network pcs or the default gateway. If i use the arp -a command I receive the correct mac address for all connected pcs but I cannot ping anything except the local address. Any help would be appreciative. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutgerncas
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

PING

I am unable to ping my remote server.My server is unable to ping the same. both are able to ping the gateway. both the ip's are on same network.i use a proxy tunnel on my remote server.Help if any clues. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oslbhavana
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

10. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
RMCPING(8)						      System Manager Commands							RMCPING(8)

NAME
rmcpping - send RMCP Ping to network hosts SYNOPSIS
rmcpping [OPTION...] destination DESCRIPTION
rmcpping uses the RMCP Ping request datagram to elicit an RMCP Pong response from a remote host. The utility can be used to verify if a remote host supports RMCP or IPMI. The initial starting sequence number will be randomized. rmcpping will return 0 to the environment if it receives atleast 1 response from the remote host. Otherwise, it exits with a value of 1. OPTIONS
The following options are available -h Output help menu. -V Output version. -c count Stop after sending count packets. -i interval Wait interval seconds between sending each packet. The default is to wait for one second between each packet. -I interface address Set source address to specified interface address. Argument may be numeric IP address or name of device. -t timeout Time to wait for a response, in seconds. Default is five seconds. -v Verbose output. -s num Specify an initial starting sequence number. The default is to use a random initial sequence number. -d Turn on debugging. KNOWN ISSUES
It has been observed that some remote BMCs can get "confused" and delay packet responses if duplicate packets (with duplicate sequence num- bers) are sent in succession very quickly. There is no known way to cleanly deal with a "confused" BMC other than the wait awhile. Unlike ping(8), local network devicess (e.g. 127.0.0.1) cannot be "pinged". REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <freeipmi-users@gnu.org> or <freeipmi-devel@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2012 Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC. Copyright (C) 2003-2007 The Regents of the University of California. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. ORIGIN
Command and manpage based off ping(8). SEE ALSO
freeipmi(7), ping(8), ipmiping(8) http://www.gnu.org/software/freeipmi/ rmcpping 1.1.5 2012-06-15 RMCPING(8)