Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions mapping FTP site as local drive Post 30699 by auswipe on Friday 25th of October 2002 10:49:16 AM
Old 10-25-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by cerberusofhate

and store all decryption keys on cd-rws. I forgot to mention though, sniffing is impossible because the network is switched. In order to sniff the passwords, they would already have to have root on the FTP server, which is redundant as hell, because then they could just copy the damn files. And
I call BS.

I have monitored traffic on a switched network by unplugging RJ45 and re-connecting into a hub and connecting hub to switch between two networks to monitor port usage. It is NOT impossible. Users could also get access to a mirrored port on the switch.

Quote:

don't trust it. For those of you that would just tell me to shut the hell up about the users/security, I can't take the risk with this kind of data being transferred. I can't say what it is, but I can assure you that its important enough to encrypt it on the server,
Then why use a protocol that sends passwords as cleartext to transfer data that is this important? Why not use scp or sftp? Is this FTP server accesable from the outside world? If so, what's to keep Ivan from sniffing out the cleartext from the outside?

But my real question is this: What is Win98 doing on a high-risk network? Isn't that a high-risk to begin with?

What's the stat? 80% of hacks come from inside the network with employees?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

percentage sign in a drive mapping ?

Good day all, I'm hoping someone can help me understand what the percentage sign is and does in mapping a drive to a server ? I provided the example for you. (ie \\server1\share%simon) thanks simon2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
2 Replies

2. Solaris

OpenSolaris 2008.11 Hard Drive Device mapping

Dear Solaris Experts, I am a bit confused about OpenSolaris Hard Drive device mapping. On RedHat Linux based system, an IDE on first channel master drive is mapped as /dev/hda, first channel slave drive will be /dev/hdb, etc. For (Open)Solaris systems I found it as /dev/rdsk/c3d0p0 : ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zepiroth
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a text file in Local Drive

Hi All, I am new in Shell Script. I have a ksh script running in the Unix Server and basically in that script I need to create a text file but the text file has to be generated in the local PC (the user computer such as in C:\ drive). I have no idea on how to do it and I need it pretty urgently.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yramli
2 Replies

4. Web Development

Creating a blog site on a local computer

Hello! I would like to create a blog website on a web domain of mine. The blog will be used for publishing economics-lated articles. I tried to use a few open source packages for blog creation (WorldPress, b2evolution, Movable type) which I wanted to test on a local computer before arranging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: degoor
5 Replies

5. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

configuring site-local IPv6 address

How do I configure site-local IPv6 address in HP-UX box? I can get link local IPv6 address automatically when I put IPv6 up. aps39-88-root# ifconfig lan0 inet6 up (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirtikjr
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

drive mapping

What is the eqiuvalent of /dev/dsk/rdsk in linux vs Solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnutpony123
1 Replies

8. Debian

How to install package from local hard drive?

Hello, I want to install a .deb package which I already have on the hard drive. I have tried to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the file but apt-get says it can't find it. The package is not in the Debian repository. Debian 6.0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution of local commands for remote site.

Hi all, I have a problem with ftp execution within unix environment. I'd like to get files on remote and delete them later, but here is too crowd so I can accidentally delete some files. Can I delete only the files I can get to the local folder? I can ask this question with a different... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: attillam
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mapping drive

please forgive me. i know this is unix forum. CIFS can map to shared windows folder. i just wonder if windows can map to unix shared folder. if yes, please enlight me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
5 Replies
Net::LDAP::Security(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Net::LDAP::Security(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Security - Security issues with LDAP connections SYNOPSIS
none DESCRIPTION
This document discusses various security issues relating to using LDAP and connecting to LDAP servers, notably how to manage these potential vulnerabilities: o do you know that you are connected to the right server o can someone sniff your passwords/userids from the directory connection o can someone sniff other confidential information from the directory connection Net::LDAP provides ways to address these vulnerabilities: through the use of LDAPS, or LDAPv3 and TLS, and/or the use of SASL. Each of these will be explained below. How does an LDAP connection work A normal LDAPv2 or LDAPv3 connection works by the client connecting directly to port 389 (by default), and then issuing various LDAP requests like search, add, etc. There is no way to guarantee that an LDAP client is connected to the right LDAP server. Hackers could have poisoned your DNS, so 'ldap.example.com' could be made to point to 'ldap.hacker.com'. Or they could have installed their own server on the correct machine. It is in the nature of the LDAP protocol that all information goes between the client and the server in 'plain text'. This is a term used by cryptographers to describe unencrypted and recoverable data, so even though LDAP can transfer binary values like JPEG photographs, audio clips and X.509 certificates, everything is still considered 'plain text'. If these vulnerabilities are an issue to, then you should consider the other possibilities described below, namely LDAPS, LDAPv3 and TLS, and SASL. How does an LDAPS connection work LDAPS is an unofficial protocol. It is to LDAP what HTTPS is to HTTP, namely the exact same protocol (but in this case LDAPv2 or LDAPv3) running over a secured SSL ("Secure Socket Layer") connection to port 636 (by default). Not all servers will be configured to listen for LDAPS connections, but if they do, it will commonly be on a different port from the normal plain text LDAP port. Using LDAPS can potentially solve the vulnerabilities described above, but you should be aware that simply "using" SSL is not a magic bullet that automatically makes your system "secure". First of all, LDAPS can solve the problem of verifying that you are connected to the correct server. When the client and server connect, they perform a special SSL 'handshake', part of which involves the server and client exchanging cryptographic keys, which are described using X.509 certificates. If the client wishes to confirm that it is connected to the correct server, all it needs to do is verify the server's certificate which is sent in the handshake. This is done in two ways: 1. check that the certificate is signed (trusted) by someone that you trust, and that the certificate hasn't been revoked. For instance, the server's certificate may have been signed by Verisign (www.verisign.com), and you decide that you want to trust Verisign to sign legitimate certificates. 2. check that the least-significant cn RDN in the server's certificate's DN is the fully-qualified hostname of the hostname that you connected to when creating the LDAPS object. For example if the server is <cn=ldap.example.com,ou=My department,o=My company>, then the RDN to check is cn=ldap.example.com. You can do this by using the cafile and capath options when creating a Net::LDAPS object, and by setting the verify option to 'require'. To prevent hackers 'sniffing' passwords and other information on your connection, you also have to make sure the encryption algorithm used by the SSL connection is good enough. This is also something that gets decided by the SSL handshake - if the client and server cannot agree on an acceptable algorithm the connection is not made. Net::LDAPS will by default use all the algorithms built into your copy of OpenSSL, except for ones considered to use "low" strength encryption, and those using export strength encryption. You can override this when you create the Net::LDAPS object using the 'ciphers' option. Once you've made the secure connection, you should also check that the encryption algorithm that is actually being used is one that you find acceptable. Broken servers have been observed in the field which 'fail over' and give you an unencrypted connection, so you ought to check for that. How does LDAP and TLS work SSL is a good solution to many network security problems, but it is not a standard. The IETF corrected some defects in the SSL mechanism and published a standard called RFC 2246 which describes TLS ("Transport Layer Security"), which is simply a cleaned up and standardized version of SSL. You can only use TLS with an LDAPv3 server. That is because the standard (RFC 4511) for LDAP and TLS requires that the normal LDAP connection (ie., on port 389) can be switched on demand from plain text into a TLS connection. The switching mechanism uses a special extended LDAP operation, and since these are not legal in LDAPv2, you can only switch to TLS on an LDAPv3 connection. So the way you use TLS with LDAPv3 is that you create your normal LDAPv3 connection using "Net::LDAP::new()", and then you perform the switch using "Net::LDAP::start_tls()". The "start_tls()" method takes pretty much the same arguments as "Net::LDAPS::new()", so check above for details. How does SASL work SASL is an authentication framework that can be used by a number of different Internet services, including LDAPv3. Because it is only a framework, it doesn't provide any way to authenticate by itself; to actually authenticate to a service you need to use a specific SASL mechanism. A number of mechanisms are defined, such as CRAM-MD5. The use of a mechanism like CRAM-MD5 provides a solution to the password sniffing vulnerability, because these mechanisms typically do not require the user to send across a secret (eg., a password) in the clear across the network. Instead, authentication is carried out in a clever way which avoids this, and so prevents passwords from being sniffed. Net::LDAP supports SASL using the Authen::SASL class. Currently the only Authen::SASL subclasses (ie., SASL mechanism) available are CRAM-MD5 and EXTERNAL. Some SASL mechanisms provide a general solution to the sniffing of all data on the network vulnerability, as they can negotiate confidential (ie., encrypted) network connections. Note that this is over and above any SSL or TLS encryption! Unfortunately, perl's Authen::SASL code cannot negotiate this. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAPS, Authen::SASL ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Jim Dutton <jimd@dutton3.it.siu.edu> provided lots of useful feedback on the early drafts. AUTHOR
Chris Ridd <chris.ridd@isode.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2001-2004 Chris Ridd. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-07-21 Net::LDAP::Security(3)