Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Counting words in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting words in a file Post 30561 by r0mulus on Wednesday 23rd of October 2002 08:43:13 PM
Old 10-23-2002
Data Counting words in a file

I'm trying to figure out a way to count the number of words in the follwing file:

cal 2002 > file1

Is there anyway to do this without using wc but instead using the cut command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting words then amending to a file

i want to count the number of words in a file and then redirect this to a file echo 'total number of words=' wc -users>file THis isnt working, anyone any ideas. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iago
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting words

if i have a long list of data, with every line beginning with an ip-address, like this: 62.165.8.187 - - "GET /bestandnaam.html HTTP/1.1" 200 5848 "http://www.domeinnaam.nl/bestandnaam.html" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)" how do i count which ip-adresses are mentioned... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FOBoy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting words

Hi Is there a way to count the no. of words in all files in directory. All are text files.I use wc -w but somehow i am not getting the rite answer. Is there an alternative. Thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
9 Replies

4. Programming

Counting the words in a file

Please find the below program. It contains the purpose of the program itself. /* Program : Write a program to count the number of words in a given text file */ /* Date : 12-June-2010 */ # include <stdio.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <string.h> int main( int argc, char *argv ) {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in counting the no of repeated words with count in a file

Hi Pls help in solving my doubt.Iam having file like below file1.txt priya jenny jenny priya raj radhika priya bharti bharti Output required: I need a output like count of repeated words with name for ex: priya 3 jenny 2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of files that contain words stored in another file

Hi All, I have written a script on this but it does not do the requisite job. My requirement is this: 1. I have two kinds of files each with different extensions. One set of files are *.dat (6000 unique DAT files all in one directory) and another set *.dic files (6000 unique DIC files in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting words from one file in another file

Hi All, I have written a script on this but it does not do the requisite job. My requirement is this: 1. I have two kinds of files each with different extensions. One set of files are *.dat (6000 unique DAT files all in one directory) and another set *.dic files (6000 unique DIC files in all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting words with perl?

how to use perl to count number of lines, words characters in a file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: winter9
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting occurrence of all words in a file

Hi, Given below is the input file: http://i53.tinypic.com/2vmvzb8.png Given below is what the output file should look like: http://i53.tinypic.com/1e6lfq.png I know how to count the occurrence of 1 word from a file, but not all of them. Can someone help please? An explanation on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r4v3n
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting specific words from the log

Hi, I need a shell script which can provide details from error logs like this Aug 23 21:19:41 red mountd: authenticated mount request from bl0110.bang.m pc.local:651 for /disk1/jobs (/disk1) Aug 23 08:49:52 red dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:25:90:2b:cd:7c via eth0: unknown client Aug 24... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
2 Replies
WORDS(5)						     Linux Programmers Manual							  WORDS(5)

NAME
irish - a list of Irish words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/irish is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
/etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to a /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default- wordlist(8) for more information. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Alastair McKibstry <mckinstry@computer.org> Kevin Scannell Linux 29 Sept 1998 WORDS(5)