Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Accessing NTFS...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Accessing NTFS... Post 30535 by auswipe on Wednesday 23rd of October 2002 03:21:24 PM
Old 10-23-2002
There should be a -ntfs option for mount, ala:

Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdx /mnt/myNTFSDrive

But AFAIK, mounting a NTFS filesystem is read-only proposition. Writing to a NTFS filesystem could corrupt it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparison of NTFS and SV or S5

Hi I am looking for articles comparing the UNIX Sv filesystem with NTFS, does anyone know where to find such articles, have them etc. thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: delboy14
1 Replies

2. SuSE

Disk Formated with NTFS

HI All, My pc has two disks, One disk loaded with windows NT 2000 and redhat linux 7.2 dual boot. Another disk 80GB added and formated with NTFS file system. How to access the 80GB NTFS file system disk by booting linux os. Thanks in advance Bache Gowda (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Mounting NTFS filesystem

I'm currently running dual boot Linux & Windows. Linux is Fedora core 3. I've downloaded and installed the rmp that was needed so that I could mount a NTFS filesystem. But when I go to mount the filesystem I'm still getting error's stating it does not support the NTFS filesystem. Also the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
9 Replies

4. Linux

Mount ntfs in linux

How Can I mount Windows NTFS Partation in to Linux ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Deore
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ntfs support

hello, I want to acces my other drives(NTFS) on my fedora 6......I had recomplied my kernel to 2.6.23....previously it was 2.6.18.... Also I had loaded driver for ntfs ie.......installed successfully ....fuse + ntfs-3g..... Now I am able to accces my other ntfs drives....... but what i need is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
11 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

fat32 vs ntfs

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Interoperability Is this no longer accurate about fat32? I just used a 4 gb flash drive to share several video files between Windows XP and Linux Mint. I also plan on sharing several files in the future with that 4 gb flash drive between XP and Mint so I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

7. Fedora

unable to mount NTFS

Hi, I'm new for unix. I tried to mount windows NTFS partition in Fedora unix, but it is saying ntfs not found. The command i used is mount /dev/sdb1 -t ntfs /mnt/drive1 and how to find the available filesystem type?. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Share NTFS for Backups

Hi, I would like to assign a 10TB LUN to multiple windows servers. On the LUN will be a folder assigned to each server to place its backup. Is there any change of data corruption with this setup. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Ntfs-3g help?

I am trying to get ntfs-3g to work, so I can mount ntfs partitions. I installed ntfs-3g from SFE - Software Packages for Solaris, OpenIndiana and OmniOS | Get your favourite software for (TM) Solaris 11, OpenIndiana Hipster, OmniOS as ready-to-use IPS packages Repository There are VLC, Wine, etc.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
0 Replies
NTFS-3G.PROBE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  NTFS-3G.PROBE(8)

NAME
ntfs-3g.probe - Probe an NTFS volume mountability SYNOPSIS
ntfs-3g.probe <--readonly|--readwrite> volume DESCRIPTION
The ntfs-3g.probe utility tests a volume if it's NTFS mountable read-only or read-write, and exits with a status value accordingly. The volume can be a block device or image file. OPTIONS
Below is a summary of the options that ntfs-3g.probe accepts. -r, --readonly Test if the volume can be mounted read-only. -w, --readwrite Test if the volume can be mounted read-write. -h, --help Display help and exit. EXAMPLE
Test if /dev/sda1 can be mounted read-write: ntfs-3g.probe --readwrite /dev/sda1 EXIT CODES
The exit codes are as follows: 0 Volume is mountable. 11 Syntax error, command line parsing failed. 12 The volume doesn't have a valid NTFS. 13 Inconsistent NTFS, hardware or device driver fault, or unsetup SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. 14 The NTFS partition is hibernated. 15 The volume was not cleanly unmounted. 16 The volume is already exclusively opened and in use by a kernel driver or software. 17 Unsetup SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. 18 Unknown reason. 19 Not enough privilege to mount. 20 Out of memory. 21 Unclassified FUSE error. KNOWN ISSUES
Please see http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html for common questions and known issues. If you think you have found an undocumented problem in the latest release of the software then please send an email describing it in detail. You can contact the development team on the ntfs-3g-devel@lists.sf.net address. AUTHORS
ntfs-3g.probe was written by Szabolcs Szakacsits (szaka@ntfs-3g.org). THANKS
Alon Bar-Lev has integrated the utility into the NTFS-3G build process and tested it with Erik Larsson before the public release. SEE ALSO
ntfs-3g(8) ntfs-3g.probe 2010.3.6 January 2008 NTFS-3G.PROBE(8)