Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: removing a dir named: $HOME
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users removing a dir named: $HOME Post 30527 by Vishnu on Wednesday 23rd of October 2002 02:24:53 PM
Old 10-23-2002
If I'm correct you want to remove a directory named literally as $HOME

rm '$HOME'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Home dir for users

Hello all, Most of our users have the same home directory, I know it's weird but it has been like this before me and we don't want to change that for now. When creating a new user using command useradd, it is not allowing me to create it because it is using the home directory of someone else. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root dir ? home dir ?

I am little bit confused when the words "root directory" and "home directory" and "parent directory" are used. Can anybody explains the difference. I am trying to list the names and protections levels and size of visible files in the root directory would it be correct if I just typed: ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hinman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify user home dir

I created a new user and assigned a certain home dir to tis user. I've noticed that this home dir (/export/home/test) is already assigned to other users. I really want to create a dedicated home dir for the new user. Can anyone tell me how I can modify this user with a new homedir? Thx for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris_devis
4 Replies

4. Solaris

need to restrict user to his home dir

Hello, i need to create a user who's access is restricted only to his home directory and below, i restricted his pty access by adding 'no-pty' to the options of the ssh key in authorized_keys file. However, sftp access still allows this user access to all my file system thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lidram
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

home dir checking

Hi, I want suggestion about user home directories, checking. how i could calculate this. I have 200 Users. if home-dir-of-user1 > 250 MB -> print "OK" fi if home-dir-of-user1 > 500 MB > Print "Warning" fi if home-dir-of-user1 > 1000 MB > Print "Critical" fi Thanks, Bash (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
4 Replies

6. Solaris

home dir mount issue

Hi all, I have to mount my home directory in one box, by default everyone's home directory will mount in all unix boxes which we have. But we have unmounted these home directories from some boxes to keep the data as safe. So for automation purpose i need my home directory only in those boxes to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
2 Replies

7. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to list of file in home dir ?

I want to print all list of file in the home dir of the user in $i with full bath an owner and group and permissions (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: testman84
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Home dir renaming

It is required to rename the home dir of some users specifed in the file ids.csv. But the code is not working as expected. ids.csv have content in the format id1,name,id2 It displays the expected message , still it is unable to rename the dirs Find the code below: #!/bin/ksh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

10. Solaris

remove a user without removing its home dir

HI all, I have wrongly given a wrong home directory to a user. This dir is very critical for my production environment(Can;t afford to lose it for a single minute) Now i want to delete that user, Whenever i try to delete user it tries to delete its home dir. Commnd i use: userdel ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunksharma87
9 Replies
INSTALL-MH(8)                                                        [nmh-1.5]                                                       INSTALL-MH(8)

NAME
install-mh - initialize the nmh environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/install-mh [-auto] [-check] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Install-mh is the nmh program to create the initial setup for a first-time nmh user. Install-mh lives in two places for historical rea- sons. The -auto option does things as automatically as possible and makes install-mh less chatty. The user is asked for the name of the directory that will be designated as the user's nmh directory. If this directory does not exist, the user is asked if it should be created. Normally, this directory should be under the user's home directory, and has the default name of ``Mail''. Install-mh writes an initial .mh_profile for the user. As with all nmh commands, install-mh first checks for the existence of the $MH environment variable since that gives the profile path if set. If it isn't set, the $HOME environment variable is consulted to determine the user's home directory. If $HOME is not set, then the /etc/passwd file is consulted. When creating the users initial .mh_profile, install-mh will check for the existence of a global profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile. If found, this will be used to initialize the new .mh_profile. The -check option can be used to check whether or not nmh has been installed. This can be used by other programs to determine whether or not nmh has been installed without their having to know the internals of nmh. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile Used to initialize user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To set the user's nmh directory CONTEXT
With -auto, the current folder is changed to "inbox". MH.6.8 11 June 2012 INSTALL-MH(8)