Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Sat. 27 June 2020: Movement of www.UNIX.com to new server Post 303046371 by Neo on Tuesday 23rd of June 2020 04:50:26 AM
Old 06-23-2020
Sat. 27 June 2020: Movement of www.UNIX.com to new server

FYI.

On Saturday, 27 June, 2020 I plan to move the legacy (reference) site ```www.unix.com``` to a different server.

The new location is currently running fine and tested.

The new app is in a Docker container I created which supports end-of-life (EOL) PHP 5.6; and so the legacy forum app and man pages will continue to run; but it will be a little slower because the temporary staging site I'm moving it to has only 32 GB RAM and an older 8 Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 3365 processor, versus the current site of 64 GB RAM and 8 core Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz. Plus, all apps in Docker containers are slower than on "bare metal".

Code:
Original Site H/W:
8 Core Intel  i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz with 64GB RAM, SSD drives.

Code:
Temporary Staging H/W:
8 Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 3365 with 32 GB RAM, SSD drives.

The reason for this temporary move is as follows:
  1. Cost. This server is too expensive for standalone serving only the legacy unix forum app.
  2. Staging: Moving to an existing server in my inventory, temporarily.
  3. Reliability. Later will move to new H/W with new SSD drives and a newer CPU.
  4. Consolidation: Consolidate other apps on the new hardware (less servers to manage).
  5. Tech Refresh: Will more-than-likely move to new H/W running Ubuntu* **20.04 LTS** (but not this month).

I think this H/W move will take less than 5 minutes on Saturday, as the legacy app has been tested on the temporary staging hardware:
  1. Change DNS IP address to new server.
  2. Cut over to new Apache2 reverse proxy.
  3. Update SSL certificate for ```www.unix.com```.

Code:
Planned Cutover Time Start:   Saturday, 27 June 2020, 8:00 AM GMT.

Code:
Reference:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New www.unix.com search

PUZZLED: How can I search for posts on 'VI' if by the new rules (or maybe they are old) I get the messge: "The search term you specified (vi) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. If this term contains a wildcard, please make... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sierra_aar
13 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

www.unix.com

Of late, when i start www.unix.com my system is going to 100% CPU and takes lot of time to get the information. I think this is happening after adding the graphics on the page. Has anyone seen this problem..Sorry to post this here.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssow
6 Replies

3. IP Networking

rlogin questions (Unix Tip 3426 - June 26, 2012)

In the following Unix Tip from Unix Guru Universe, are there some typos? Specifically, should: "From hosts(user:deepak)" be "From host2(user:deepak)"? (I'm almost 100% certain it should) "rlogin hosts.domain.com -l paul" be "rlogin host2.domain.com -l paul"? Some related... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RandyKramer
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Are we having sat-sun holiday for unix forum?

Are we having sat-sun holiday for unix forum? I am just thinking there are no new things to explore on sat-sun. It looks like holiday for this site also....:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pamu
1 Replies

5. Open Source

Shell script file movement to a Mail Box server using ftp commands

Hi All, I have a current Process that runs "windows script " for the file movement that needs to changed to a "DataStage Process (Using shell script )" Source :Text file is getting generated as part of Datastage Jobs processes and resides in a shared drive (Unix server) Target :ftp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: developer.dwh9
2 Replies
GETPEEREID(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     GETPEEREID(3)

NAME
getpeereid -- get the effective credentials of a UNIX-domain peer LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int getpeereid(int s, uid_t *euid, gid_t *egid); DESCRIPTION
The getpeereid() function returns the effective user and group IDs of the peer connected to a UNIX-domain socket. The argument s must be a UNIX-domain socket (unix(4)) of type SOCK_STREAM on which either connect(2) or listen(2) have been called. The effective used ID is placed in euid, and the effective group ID in egid. The credentials returned to the listen(2) caller are those of its peer at the time it called connect(2); the credentials returned to the connect(2) caller are those of its peer at the time it called listen(2). This mechanism is reliable; there is no way for either side to influence the credentials returned to its peer except by calling the appropriate system call (i.e., either connect(2) or listen(2)) under different effective credentials. One common use of this routine is for a UNIX-domain server to verify the credentials of its client. Likewise, the client can verify the cre- dentials of the server. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
On FreeBSD, getpeereid() is implemented in terms of the LOCAL_PEERCRED unix(4) socket option. RETURN VALUES
The getpeereid() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
The getpeereid() function fails if: [EBADF] The argument s is not a valid descriptor. [ENOTSOCK] The argument s is a file, not a socket. [ENOTCONN] The argument s does not refer to a socket on which connect(2) or listen(2) have been called. [EINVAL] The argument s does not refer to a socket of type SOCK_STREAM, or the kernel returned invalid data. SEE ALSO
connect(2), getpeername(2), getsockname(2), getsockopt(2), listen(2), unix(4) HISTORY
The getpeereid() function appeared in FreeBSD 4.6. BSD
July 15, 2001 BSD