Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Community.UNIX.com login tips Post 303046364 by Neo on Thursday 7th of May 2020 11:43:02 PM
Old 05-08-2020
To learn how to user discourse more effectively, head on over to the new site and send one of these messages to Discobot:

Code:
@discobot start new user

Code:
@discobot start advanced user

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Good tips to Unix System Administrator

A list with sites that have a good tips to Unix System Administrator : www.samag.com www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/whitepapers/aixmapping.html www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/index.html www.spec.org Witt (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: witt
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX community...help your Mac brother!

Hello, I have been a Macintosh user for many, many years. As you may know the latest MacOS ( OS X ) is UNIX based. (Please see http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/inside.html for more information.) Basically, I really have no idea where to start with UNIX...if anyone could take a quick... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: makemead
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX login ID

Hello World: I need to have a user ID called devapp in the passwd and shadow file for a certain application to start. The problem is that I do not want users to be able to use the devapp login ID to log directly into the system. The users sometimes need to start and stop the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need UNIX Login ...

Hi, I dont have UNIX os on my pc. I want to learn UNIX system programming. How to get this OS or Can i get any remote login account ? Thanks. Bye... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthiu
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Tips - UNIX Shell Script

Can any one please provide a fast learning tips to learn UNIX shell scripting? Thanks, Gov (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Govindh.v
3 Replies

6. Web Development

Login in Unix

Can anyone plz share the HTML code for login in UNIX. I am not able to verify the password. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish.s
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

How Much Vacation Do You Take? | UNIX.com Community | Annual Vacation (YouTube)

Here is another simple YT video co-produced with our video partner. How Much Vacation Do You Take? | UNIX.com Community | Annual Vacation https://youtu.be/MSy553qS654 Background sound track is called "Caribbean Paradise" Sounds like something wisecracker would have played in one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)