Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to ignore No such file or directory on the output? Post 303046341 by apmcd47 on Friday 1st of May 2020 07:01:46 AM
Old 05-01-2020
Try appending this to your command:

Code:
2> >(grep -v 'No such file or directory' >&2)

It should remove the above message from the STDERR but allow other messages to be printed.

Works for bash and I believe ksh, but not sh or dash.

Andrew
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to apmcd47 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a sh script to spool directory and modify the output (Oracle cnt file)

Hi, I'm creating a shell script to dynamically create a recreate controlfile for an Oracle database. I need to read a cold backup file system, and make some changes to these files. Let's say for argument sake the directory name is /ebsprod_c/oradata and it looks like this:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob questions.. Append output to a file in different directory

Noob question! I know almost nothing so far, and I'm trying to teach myself from books, on a typical command line without using scripts how would I append output from a sort to a file in a completely different directory? example: If I'm sorting a file in my documents directory but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find: ignore directory completely

Hello, I know find can be prevented from recursing into directories with something like the following... find . -name .svn -prune -a type d But how can I completely prevent directories of a certain name (.svn) from being displayed at all, the top level and the children? I really... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwb123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory using grep....plz ...

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt msisdn ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command with ignore directory

Dear All, I am using find command find /my_rep/*/RKYPROOF/*/*/WDM/HOME_INT/PWD_DATA -name rk*myguidelines*.pdf -print The problem i am facing here is find /my_rep/*/ the directory after my_rep could be mice001, mice002 and mice001_PO, mice002_PO i want to ignore mice***_PO directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore garbage output file

Hi All, below is my shell script #!/bin/sh set -x echo "test for multiple values" UIDPSWD=`cat /projects/feeds/twest/uidpswd` echo "oracle connection test" full=/projects/feeds/twest/test_file values=`cut -d'|' -f1 $full|sed -e "s/.*/'&'/" -e 's/$/,/g' -e '$s/,$//'` sqlplus $UIDPSWD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wget - how to ignore files in immediate directory?

i am trying to recursively save a remote FTP server but exclude the files immediately under a directory directory1 wget -r -N ftp://user:pass@hostname/directory1 I want to keep these which may have more files under them directory1/dir1/file.jpg directory1/dir2/file.jpg... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying the same awk over a directory of files with individual file output

I am trying to apply an awk action over multiple files in a directory. It is a simple action, I want to print out the 1st 2 columns (i.e. $1 and $2) in each tab-separated document and output the result in a new file *.pp This is the awk that I have come up with so far, which is not giving me a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX find ignore directory

I am using aix. I would like to ignore the /u directory. I tried this but it is not working. find / -type f -type d \( -path /u \) -prune -o -name '*rpm*' 2>/dev/null /u/appx/ls.rpm /u/arch/vim.rpm (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
PERIODIC(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       PERIODIC(8)

NAME
periodic -- run periodic system functions SYNOPSIS
periodic directory ... DESCRIPTION
The periodic utility is intended to be called by launchd(8) to execute shell scripts located in the specified directory. One or more of the following arguments must be specified: daily Perform the standard daily periodic executable run. This usually occurs early in the morning (local time). weekly Perform the standard weekly periodic executable run. This usually occurs very early on Saturday mornings. monthly Perform the standard monthly periodic executable run. This usually occurs on the first day of the month. path An arbitrary directory containing a set of executables to be run. If an argument is an absolute directory name it is used as is, otherwise it is searched for under /etc/periodic and any other directories specified by the local_periodic setting in periodic.conf(5) (see below). The periodic utility will run each executable file in the directory or directories specified. If a file does not have the executable bit set, it is silently ignored. Each script is required to exit with one of the following values: 0 The script has produced nothing notable in its output. The <basedir>_show_success variable controls the masking of this output. 1 The script has produced some notable information in its output. The <basedir>_show_info variable controls the masking of this output. 2 The script has produced some warnings due to invalid configuration settings. The <basedir>_show_badconfig variable controls the mask- ing of this output. >2 The script has produced output that must not be masked. If the relevant variable (where <basedir> is the base directory in which the script resides) is set to ``NO'' in periodic.conf, periodic will mask the script output. If the variable is not set to either ``YES'' or ``NO'', it will be given a default value as described in periodic.conf(5). All remaining script output is delivered based on the value of the <basedir>_output setting. If this is set to a path name (beginning with a '/' character), output is simply logged to that file. newsyslog(8) knows about the files /var/log/daily.log, /var/log/weekly.log and /var/log/monthly.log, and if they exist, it will rotate them at the appropriate times. These are therefore good values if you wish to log periodic output. If the <basedir>_output value does not begin with a '/' and is not empty, it is assumed to contain a list of email addresses, and the output is mailed to them. If <basedir>_show_empty_output is set to ``NO'', then no mail will be sent if the output was empty. If <basedir>_output is not set or is empty, output is sent to standard output. ENVIRONMENT
The periodic utility sets the PATH environment to include all standard system directories, but no additional directories, such as /usr/local/bin. If executables are added which depend upon other path components, each executable must be responsible for configuring its own appropriate environment. FILES
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.periodic-*.plist the periodic utility is typically called via these launchd(8) jobs /etc/periodic the top level directory containing daily, weekly, and monthly subdirectories which contain standard system peri- odic executables /etc/defaults/periodic.conf the periodic.conf system registry contains variables that control the behaviour of periodic and the standard daily, weekly, and monthly scripts /etc/periodic.conf this file contains local overrides for the default periodic configuration EXIT STATUS
Exit status is 0 on success and 1 if the command fails. EXAMPLES
The /etc/defaults/periodic.conf system registry will typically have a local_periodic variable reading: local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic" To log periodic output instead of receiving it as email, add the following lines to /etc/periodic.conf: daily_output=/var/log/daily.log weekly_output=/var/log/weekly.log monthly_output=/var/log/monthly.log To only see important information from daily periodic jobs, add the following lines to /etc/periodic.conf: daily_show_success=NO daily_show_info=NO daily_show_badconfig=NO DIAGNOSTICS
The command may fail for one of the following reasons: usage: periodic <directory of files to execute> No directory path argument was passed to periodic to specify where the script fragments reside. <directory> not found Self explanatory. SEE ALSO
sh(1), periodic.conf(5), launchd(8), newsyslog(8) HISTORY
The periodic utility first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
Paul Traina <pst@FreeBSD.org> Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> BUGS
Since one specifies information about a directory using shell variables containing the string, <basedir>, <basedir> must only contain charac- ters that are valid within a sh(1) variable name, alphanumerics and underscores, and the first character may not be numeric. BSD
August 30, 2007 BSD