Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split values using awk
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Split values using awk Post 303046301 by Skrynesaver on Thursday 30th of April 2020 08:00:51 AM
Old 04-30-2020
Code:
$ cat ~/tmp.dat
Name , Company_Worked (Header)
Asley,IBM;Amazon;BOA;Google
King.Jr,Wipro;Microsoft;AMZ

$ perl -ne 'chomp;($name,$emp)=split/,/;for (split/;/,$emp){print "$name, $_\n";}' ~/tmp.dat
Name ,  Company_Worked (Header)
Asley, IBM
Asley, Amazon
Asley, BOA
Asley, Google
King.Jr, Wipro
King.Jr, Microsoft
King.Jr, AMZ

This User Gave Thanks to Skrynesaver For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

split variable values into array

i have these values inside variable $blah BUNGA TERATAI 3 5055 ITH 1 0 0 0 1 1 JADE TRADER 143W ITH 4 0 0 0 4 4 MOL SPLENDOR 0307A ITH 3 0 0 0 3 3 so how do I split them into array with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pick values from column based on key values by usin AWK

Dear Guyz:) I have 2 different input files like this. I would like to pick the values or letters from the inputfile2 based on inputfile1 keys (A,F,N,X,Z). I have done similar task by using awk but in that case the inputfiles are similar like in inputfile2 (all keys in 1st column and values in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: read values from file1; search for values in file2

I have read another post about this issue and am wondering how to adapt it to my own, much simpler, issue. I have a file of user IDs like so: 333333 321321 546465 ...etc I need to take each number and use it to print records wherein the 5th field matches the user ID pulled from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the values

ABC|DFE HYK|YUI is the contents in file. I am using the for loop for for value_list in `cat ./file` ; do echo $value_list cat use_firstvalue > second_value done I have to split the based on '|' and it should be used as a varaible in the cat command. How to do that. Please help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script:split the values

Hi, I have file like below as file.txt Linux sptpp1a 2.6.18 348.1.1.el5 xxxxx 05/02/2013 %usr %sys %wio %idle 14:18:30 0 1 0 99 14:18:40 1 1 0 98 14:18:50 1 1 0 98 14:19:00 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file according to column values

Hi all, I am trying to split a file by the values of the FIRST column. The following awk works to split the file by the value of the LAST column -- How can I alter this to divide the column by the FIRST column?? awk -F"\t" '{ print > $NF ; close($NF)}' filename1Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a content in a file with specific interval base on the delimited values using UNIX command

Hi All, we have a requirement to split a content in a text file every 5 rows and write in a new file . conditions: if 5th line falls between center of the statement . it should look upto after ";" files are below format: 1 UPDATE TABLE TEST1 SET VALUE ='AFDASDFAS' 2 WHERE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KK230689
3 Replies
TRACE-CMD-SPLIT(1)														TRACE-CMD-SPLIT(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-split - split a trace.dat file into smaller files SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd split [OPTIONS] [start-time [end-time]] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) split is used to break up a trace.dat into small files. The start-time specifies where the new file will start at. Using trace-cmd-report(1) and copying the time stamp given at a particular event, can be used as input for either start-time or end-time. The split will stop creating files when it reaches an event after end-time. If only the end-time is needed, use 0.0 as the start-time. If start-time is left out, then the split will start at the beginning of the file. If end-time is left out, then split will continue to the end unless it meets one of the requirements specified by the options. OPTIONS
-i file If this option is not specified, then the split command will look for the file named trace.dat. This options will allow the reading of another file other than trace.dat. -o file By default, the split command will use the input file name as a basis of where to write the split files. The output file will be the input file with an attached '.#' to the end: trace.dat.1, trace.dat.2, etc. This option will change the name of the base file used. -o file will create file.1, file.2, etc. -s seconds This specifies how many seconds should be recorded before the new file should stop. -m milliseconds This specifies how many milliseconds should be recorded before the new file should stop. -u microseconds This specifies how many microseconds should be recorded before the new file should stop. -e events This specifies how many events should be recorded before the new file should stop. -p pages This specifies the number of pages that should be recorded before the new file should stop. Note: only one of *-p*, *-e*, *-u*, *-m*, *-s* may be specified at a time. If *-p* is specified, then *-c* is automatically set. -r This option causes the break up to repeat until end-time is reached (or end of the input if end-time is not specified). trace-cmd split -r -e 10000 This will break up trace.dat into several smaller files, each with at most 10,000 events in it. -c This option causes the above break up to be per CPU. trace-cmd split -c -p 10 This will create a file that has 10 pages per each CPU from the input. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-SPLIT(1)