Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to ignore No such file or directory on the output? Post 303046279 by Varja on Wednesday 29th of April 2020 02:30:29 PM
Old 04-29-2020
How to ignore No such file or directory on the output?

Hello -
I have a script which looks for filesystem usage and its a common script for all servers I have . On few servers, we do not have a FS available and getting the output as
Code:
No such file or directory

, which is expected. I am not in favor of having an if condition to have list of servers added and verify for that specific FS only on those servers.

wondering if there is a way I can ignore this error to show-up on output itself when someone run that script?
Noe - I write the output of the script to a temp txt file and use it for different purpose.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a sh script to spool directory and modify the output (Oracle cnt file)

Hi, I'm creating a shell script to dynamically create a recreate controlfile for an Oracle database. I need to read a cold backup file system, and make some changes to these files. Let's say for argument sake the directory name is /ebsprod_c/oradata and it looks like this:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob questions.. Append output to a file in different directory

Noob question! I know almost nothing so far, and I'm trying to teach myself from books, on a typical command line without using scripts how would I append output from a sort to a file in a completely different directory? example: If I'm sorting a file in my documents directory but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find: ignore directory completely

Hello, I know find can be prevented from recursing into directories with something like the following... find . -name .svn -prune -a type d But how can I completely prevent directories of a certain name (.svn) from being displayed at all, the top level and the children? I really... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwb123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory using grep....plz ...

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt msisdn ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command with ignore directory

Dear All, I am using find command find /my_rep/*/RKYPROOF/*/*/WDM/HOME_INT/PWD_DATA -name rk*myguidelines*.pdf -print The problem i am facing here is find /my_rep/*/ the directory after my_rep could be mice001, mice002 and mice001_PO, mice002_PO i want to ignore mice***_PO directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore garbage output file

Hi All, below is my shell script #!/bin/sh set -x echo "test for multiple values" UIDPSWD=`cat /projects/feeds/twest/uidpswd` echo "oracle connection test" full=/projects/feeds/twest/test_file values=`cut -d'|' -f1 $full|sed -e "s/.*/'&'/" -e 's/$/,/g' -e '$s/,$//'` sqlplus $UIDPSWD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wget - how to ignore files in immediate directory?

i am trying to recursively save a remote FTP server but exclude the files immediately under a directory directory1 wget -r -N ftp://user:pass@hostname/directory1 I want to keep these which may have more files under them directory1/dir1/file.jpg directory1/dir2/file.jpg... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying the same awk over a directory of files with individual file output

I am trying to apply an awk action over multiple files in a directory. It is a simple action, I want to print out the 1st 2 columns (i.e. $1 and $2) in each tab-separated document and output the result in a new file *.pp This is the awk that I have come up with so far, which is not giving me a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX find ignore directory

I am using aix. I would like to ignore the /u directory. I tried this but it is not working. find / -type f -type d \( -path /u \) -prune -o -name '*rpm*' 2>/dev/null /u/appx/ls.rpm /u/arch/vim.rpm (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
nis_intro(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      nis_intro(7)

NAME
nis_intro - Network Information Service (NIS) introductory information DESCRIPTION
The Network Information Service (NIS) is a distributed name service that allows participating hosts to share access to a common set of sys- tem and network files. NIS allows the system administrator to manage these shared files on a single system. NIS is intended for use in a secure environment only, where gateways do not allow outside Internet access to the NIS protocol. NIS Maps Information distributed by NIS is stored in database files called maps. Most of the NIS maps represent files that were traditionally stored in the /etc directory. These files include the following: aliases group hosts netgroups networks passwd protocols rpc services In a secure environment, you can run NIS in a secure mode, thereby creating secure and nonsecure versions of the NIS maps. See the Secu- rity guide for more information. You can also use NIS to distribute files used by Automount or AutoFS, or to distribute other user-defined files. Each NIS map contains a set of keys and associated values. For example, as keys, the hosts map contains all host names on a network, and as values, the corresponding Internet addresses. Each NIS map has a map name, used by programs to access data in the map. NIS Domains A named set of NIS maps is called a domain. A system's "domain name" or "NIS domain" corresponds to the set of NIS maps that the system can access. You can think of an NIS domain as a set of systems that share the same set of NIS maps. A system's domain name is set at the time the system is booted by the /sbin/init.d/nis script using an entry in the /etc/rc.config.common file. System administrators can use the nissetup script to place entries in this file. The nissetup script is described in the Network Administration manual. You can determine your system's NIS domain using the domainname command. Refer to domainname(1). A domain name is required for retrieving data from an NIS database. NIS Client-Server Model NIS follows the client-server model of distributed services. There are two types of NIS servers - master and slave. The master server stores the master copy of the NIS maps for its domain; these are the only NIS maps that can be modified. Each domain has only one master server. Slave servers store copies of the master server's NIS maps. NIS slave servers can be spread throughout a network. Whenever an NIS map is updated on the master server, the master propagates the changes to each slave server in its domain. If the master is unavailable for any reason, the slave servers continue to make the NIS maps available to the NIS clients. Clients are all of the systems that can access NIS maps. When a client requires NIS information, it makes a remote procedure call (RPC) to one of the NIS servers to obtain the information. NIS Data Storage The data in NIS maps is stored as databases in dbm/ndbm, btree, or hash format. For example, the NIS map for the /etc/hosts file in the domain market might be stored in these dbm/ndbm files: /var/yp/mar- ket/hosts.byaddr.dir /var/yp/market/hosts.byaddr.pag /var/yp/market/hosts.byname.dir /var/yp/market/hosts.byname.pag The makedbm command takes an ASCII file such as /etc/hosts and converts it into dbm/ndbm files suitable for use by NIS. However, system administrators use the Makefile script in the /var/yp directory to create NIS map files and specify file format. The Makefile script then calls makedbm. Refer to the Network Administration manual for details on the Makefile script, specifying different formats, and other NIS management information. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: domainname(1), svcsetup(8), ypbind(8), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypxfr(8) Files: svc.conf(4) Network Administration delim off nis_intro(7)