Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Grep first n lines from each file Post 303046275 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 29th of April 2020 10:54:21 AM
Old 04-29-2020
Even without the shopt -s extglob the folllowing is expanded: echo {*,*/*,*/*/*}.{opt,texi}
A shopt -s nullglob suppresses non-matching patterns.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple lines from a file

Hi, I would like to ask if there is any method to grep a chuck of lines based on the latest file in a directory. E.g Latest file in the directory: Line 1: 532243 Line 2: 123456 Line 3: 334566 Line 4: 44567545 I wanted to grep all the line after line 2 i.e. Line 3 and line 4 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and display lines from a file

I have to grep on a few words in a file and then display the line containing those words and the line above it. For ex - File1.txt contains... abc xyz abc This is a test Test successful abc xyz abc Just a test Test successful I find the words 'Test successful' in the file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user7617
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep two lines in a file

Hi Everyone, I have 1.txt 1 6-6 3-3 word y f 6-6 word 5-5 4 5-5 word The output should be: 3-3 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep between block of lines in a file

Hi Friends, I have a file which has many of the statements like below ******** MAKING > noun1 < cg_all statements statements statements ********* MAKING > noun2 < cg_all statements statements statements ********* MAKING > noun3 < all statements statements statements I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep two lines from a file

Sample File abc xyz def abc ggh abc xyz I just created a sample file above to show what I need. I need to grep two lines. e.g abc and xyz(only if they are one after the other) so output would be abc xyz abc xyz (note abc followed by ggh line would not come out in the output). I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran123
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep lines in a file that have only one field

Hello. How does one grep lines in a file that have only one field? AAA BBB CCC DDD AAA CCC Is is possible to grep "DDD" becuase it has only one field? Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:25 PM ---------- I found it, thank you! awk 'NF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep 3 lines from a file

I have file, test.txt UtranCellId MDN407WI1 administrativeState 1 (UNLOCKED) aseDlAdm 500 aseUlAdm 800 cellReserved 1 (NOT_RESERVED) dlCodeAdm ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep into a file + show following lines

Hi guys, This is probably very easy but I've no idea how to pull this out. Basically, I need to find errors into a very large logfile. When you grep the ID, the output is like this: +- Type: 799911 Code: Ret: 22728954 Mand: X Def: Des: UserDes: SeqNo: 2 +- Type: 799911 Code: Ret:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkadia
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the lines in one file that are also in another

Hi all, I have two files. File A looks like this: abkhasian com|hum accent com|com|com|com|sta acceptation act|com|sta adventures com|hum adversity com|hum|hum and File B looks like this: adventure adventures adversary Adverse adversity I want to print those lines in File A... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
9 Replies
MATCH(1L)						      Schily's USER COMMANDS							 MATCH(1L)

NAME
match - searches for patterns in files SYNOPSIS
match [ -option ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Match searches the named files or standard input (if no filenames are given) for the occurrences of the given pattern on each line. The program accepts literal characters or special pattern matching characters. All lines that match the pattern are output on standard output. You can only specify one pattern string for each match, however, you can construct an arbitrarily complex string. When you do not specify a file, match can be used as a filter to display desired lines. Standard in is used if no files are specified. OPTIONS
-not, -v Prints all lines that do not match. -i Ignore the case of letters -m Force not to use the magic mode -w Search for pattern as a word -x Display only those lines which match exactly -c Display matching count for each file -l Display name of each file which matches -s Be silent indicate match in exit code -h Do not display filenames -n Precede matching lines with line number (with respect to the input file) -b Precede matching lines with block number REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
The following is a table of all the pattern matching characters: c An ordinary character (not one of the special characters discussed below) is a one character regular expression that matches that character. c A backslash () followed by any special character is a one character regular expression that matches the special character itself. The special characters are: ! # % * { } [ ] ? ^ $ ! Logical OR as in match this!that!the_other. You may have to use `{}' for precedence grouping. # A hash mark followed by any regular expression matches any number (including zero) occurrences of the regular expression. ? Matches exactly any one character. W? matches Wa, Wb, Wc, W1, W2, W3 ... * Matches any number of any character. % Matches exactly nothing. It can be used in groups of ored patterns to specify that an empty alternative is possible. {} Curly brackets may be used to enclose patterns to specify a precedence grouping, and may be nested. {%!{test}}version matches the strings testversion and version. [string] A non empty string of characters enclosed in square brackets is a one character regular expression that matches any one character in that string. If however the first character of the string is a circumflex (^), the one character expression matches any character which is not in the string. The ^ has this special meaning only if it occurs first in the string. The minus (-) may be used to indi- cate a range of consecutive ASCII characters; for example, [0-9] is equivalent to any one of the digits. The - loses it's special meaning if it occurs first (after an initial ^, if any) or last in the string. The right square bracket (]) and the backslash () must be quoted with a backslash if you want to use it within the string. ^ Matches the beginning of a line. $ Matches the end of a line. (^*$ matches any entire line) EXAMPLES
FILES
None. SEE ALSO
grep(1), fgrep(1), egrep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
NOTES
Even if a match occurs more than once per line, the line is output only once. Quote special pattern matching characters to prevent them from being expanded by the Command Interpreter. BUGS
The length of the pattern is currently limited to 100 characters. This limit is reduced by 38 if the -w option is used. Joerg Schilling 15. Juli 1988 MATCH(1L)