Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Processing variable values using awk Post 303046265 by srilaxman on Wednesday 29th of April 2020 02:41:00 AM
Old 04-29-2020
Processing variable values using awk

Hello,

I am using the command below to send emails to users using a for loop. If The command finds the user Id in 1st column then it will print the email Id of the user from the 2nd column.
Code:
/usr/bin/awk -F "," ' $1 == "username"  {print $2}' file.csv

This command is getting executed when I give the username directly or execute it manually in command line. But when I try to use the same code in shell script to process various usernames in a for loop, the awk command doesn't recognize the variables

The code I am using in shell script is below. Can someone please let me know how to fix this?
Code:
For usr in ${users[@]}; do
/usr/bin/awk -F "," ' $1 == "$usr"  {print $2}' file.csv
done > out.txt

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Code tags for code, please!

Last edited by Peasant; 04-29-2020 at 04:46 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable values to awk command

Hi, I have a situation where I have to specify a different value to an awk command, I beleive i have the gist of this done, however I am not able to get this correct. Here is what I have so far echo $id 065859555 This value occurs in a "pipe" delimited file in postition 8. Hence I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping Unix Variable Array values into AWK

#ksh Here is my code: ERRORLIST="43032 12001 12002 12003 12004 34019 49015 49016 49017 49018 49024 49025 49026 58004 72003 12005 12006 12007 12008 12011 12012 16024 16023" for ERROR in ${ERRORLIST} do awk -v l="$lastdate" '/^....-..-../&&$0>l{d=$0}d&&/Error: '"${ERROR}"'/{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk and accessing variable values within the syntax

I'm writing a bash script, and I am having trouble with this line: awk '{print "url = \"http://www.example.com/directory/$type/"$1"\""}' input.file > output.file Within the URL being printed, I wish the value of the variable "$type" to be printed, after being read from user input from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meridionaljet
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using awk iteratively in a script to assign variable values

I have a log file that has certain fields that I want to evaluate, and depending on the value in those fields, I want to put the value of a different field in that line in a particular variable that I'll use later on down the log file. Sort of like setting a switch to change what I do with a bunch... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pts2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing values from awk to shell variable

I am writing a script where I need awk to test if two columns are the same and shell to do something if they are or are not. Here is the code I'm working with: @ test = 0 ... test = `awk '{if($1!=$2) print 1; else print 0}' time_test.tmp` #time_test.tmp holds two values separated by a space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malavin
3 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing values from Oracle procedure

Hi all, My oracle procedure returns more than one value. i need to get one value at a time upto ending value ina shell script. Please help me..... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmreddy
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of variable number of fields data file

Hy! I need to post-process some data files which have variable (and periodic) number of fields. For example, I need to square (data -> data*data) the folowing data file: -5.34281E-28 -3.69822E-29 8.19128E-29 9.55444E-29 8.16494E-29 6.23125E-29 4.42106E-29 2.94592E-29 1.84841E-29 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text File with Binary Values processing

Hello all, I have a txt file containing millions of lines. Below is the example: {tx:be} head -50 file.txt Instr1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Instr1:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign awk values to shell variable?

Hi Gurus, I have a script which assign awk output to shell variable. current it uses two awk command to assign value to two variables. I want to use one command to assign two values to two variables. I tried the code, but it does't work. kindly provide your suggestion. current code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
2 Replies
Prophet::Test(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Prophet::Test(3pm)

set_editor($code)
       Sets the subroutine that Prophet should use instead of "Prophet::CLI::Command::edit_text" (as this routine invokes an interactive editor)
       to $code.

set_editor_script SCRIPT
       Sets the editor that Proc::InvokeEditor uses.

This should be a non-interactive script found in t/scripts.

import_extra($class, $args)
   in_gladiator($code)
       Run the given code using Devel::Gladiator.

repo_path_for($username)
       Returns a path on disk for where $username's replica is stored.

repo_uri_for($username)
       Returns a file:// URI for $USERNAME'S replica (with the correct replica type prefix).

replica_uuid
       Returns the UUID of the test replica.

database_uuid
       Returns the UUID of the test database.

replica_last_rev
       Returns the sequence number of the last change in the test replica.

as_user($username, $coderef)
       Run this code block as $username.  This routine sets up the %ENV hash so that when we go looking for a repository, we get the user's repo.

replica_uuid_for($username)
       Returns the UUID of the given user's test replica.

database_uuid_for($username)
       Returns the UUID of the given user's test database.

ok_added_revisions( { CODE }, $numbers_of_new_revisions, $msg)
       Checks that the given code block adds the given number of changes to the test replica. $msg is optional and will be printed with the test
       if given.

serialize_conflict($conflict_obj)
       Returns a simple, serialized version of a Prophet::Conflict object suitable for comparison in tests.

The serialized version is a hash reference containing the following keys:
	   meta => { original_source_uuid => 'source_replica_uuid' }
	   records => { 'record_uuid' =>
			  { change_type => 'type',
			    props => { propchange_name => { source_old => 'old_val',
							    source_new => 'new_val',
							    target_old => 'target_val',
							  }
				     }
			  },
			'another_record_uuid' =>
			  { change_type => 'type',
			    props => { propchange_name => { source_old => 'old_val',
							    source_new => 'new_val',
							    target_old => 'target_val',
							  }
				     }
			  },
		      }

serialize_changeset($changeset_obj)
       Returns a simple, serialized version of a Prophet::ChangeSet object suitable for comparison in tests (a hash).

run_command($command, @args)
       Run the given command with (optionally) the given args using a new Prophet::CLI object. Returns the standard output of that command in
       scalar form or, in array context, the STDOUT in scalar form *and* the STDERR in scalar form.

Examples:

run_command('create', '--type=Foo');

load_record($type, $uuid)
       Loads and returns a record object for the record with the given type and uuid.

as_alice CODE, as_bob CODE, as_charlie CODE, as_david CODE
       Runs CODE as alice, bob, charlie or david.

perl v5.10.1							    2009-09-02							Prophet::Test(3pm)