Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Issue with Keyboard or Char Encoding During Migration Post 303046248 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 28th of April 2020 08:34:01 AM
Old 04-28-2020
Yes, I'm getting bored with this.

What you are saying is that when I see

Quote:
"ABCDEFG"
on the old forum, there is nevertheless, something wrong with, say, the second quote mark which after migration becomes

Quote:
"ABCDEFG<placeholder>
If so, then what is wrong with the second quote mark (Unicode value) in the old site???

I just don't understand how it can be that wrong and still display perfectly on my screen (unless it's 8bit value vs 7bit value or some such).

Otherwise, if it displays perfect then it should migrate perfect. Yes?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how2 get single char from keyboard w/o enter

I am writing a bash shell menu and would like to get a char immediately after a key is pressed. This script does not work but should give you an idea of what I am trying to do.... Thanks for the help #! /bin/bash ANSWER="" echo -en "Choose item...\n" until do $ANSWER = $STDIN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encoding of a text issue

I created one file on windows system and is visible as : TestTable,INSERT,večilnin1ईगल受害者是第,2010-02-02 10:10:10.612447,137277,ईगल受害者是第večilnin!@#$%^&*()_+=-{}] But when send this file to unix system, the file is visible as : TestTable,INSERT,žvečilnin1ई-ल -害...是第,2010-02-02 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 p2v migration issue

Hi All, We need to move Physical Solaris 10 system to Virtual Solaris 10(p2v). Both the servers having Solaris 10(Generic_147440-25) means physical server which we are going to move is having Solaris 10 and this physical server will be converted as a virtualserver on another physical server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Keyboard and Mouse Issue

Hello All, PC: CuBox-i (*i.MX6) Mini-PC OS: openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (armv7hl) Kernel: 3.14.14-cubox-i # uname -a Linux CuBox-HQ 3.14.14-cubox-i #1 SMP Sat Sep 13 03:48:24 UTC 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/LinuxSo I've been having this random issue happen on this PC where a few strange... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
12 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Migration issue with EMC ODM sets

Hi Experts , I want to start migrating our AIX 6.1 to AIX 7.1 . I am planning to use alt_disk_migration . Chris gibson has awesome documentation in the internet. However I am running into an issue with EMC odm filesets . So my current OS is AIX 6.1. and I have this : lslpp -l | grep EMC ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JME2015
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX to RHEL migration - awk treating 0e[0-9]+ as 0 instead of string issue

Greetings Experts, We are migrating from AIX to RHEL Linux. I have created a script to verify and report the NULLs and SPACEs in the key columns and duplicates on key combination of "|" delimited set of big files. Following is the code that was successfully running in AIX. awk -F "|" 'BEGIN {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
5 Replies

7. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! Im using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . Im expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
MIME::Decoder::NBit(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    MIME::Decoder::NBit(3)

NAME
MIME::Decoder::NBit - encode/decode a "7bit" or "8bit" stream SYNOPSIS
A generic decoder object; see MIME::Decoder for usage. DESCRIPTION
This is a MIME::Decoder subclass for the "7bit" and "8bit" content transfer encodings. These are not "encodings" per se: rather, they are simply assertions of the content of the message. From RFC-2045 Section 6.2.: Three transformations are currently defined: identity, the "quoted- printable" encoding, and the "base64" encoding. The domains are "binary", "8bit" and "7bit". The Content-Transfer-Encoding values "7bit", "8bit", and "binary" all mean that the identity (i.e. NO) encoding transformation has been performed. As such, they serve simply as indicators of the domain of the body data, and provide useful information about the sort of encoding that might be needed for transmission in a given transport system. In keeping with this: as of MIME-tools 4.x, this class does no modification of its input when encoding; all it does is attempt to detect violations of the 7bit/8bit assertion, and issue a warning (one per message) if any are found. Legal 7bit data RFC-2045 Section 2.7 defines legal "7bit" data: "7bit data" refers to data that is all represented as relatively short lines with 998 octets or less between CRLF line separation sequences [RFC-821]. No octets with decimal values greater than 127 are allowed and neither are NULs (octets with decimal value 0). CR (decimal value 13) and LF (decimal value 10) octets only occur as part of CRLF line separation sequences. Legal 8bit data RFC-2045 Section 2.8 defines legal "8bit" data: "8bit data" refers to data that is all represented as relatively short lines with 998 octets or less between CRLF line separation sequences [RFC-821]), but octets with decimal values greater than 127 may be used. As with "7bit data" CR and LF octets only occur as part of CRLF line separation sequences and no NULs are allowed. How decoding is done The decoder does a line-by-line pass-through from input to output, leaving the data unchanged except that an end-of-line sequence of CRLF is converted to a newline " ". Given the line-oriented nature of 7bit and 8bit, this seems relatively sensible. How encoding is done The encoder does a line-by-line pass-through from input to output, and simply attempts to detect violations of the "7bit"/"8bit" domain. The default action is to warn once per encoding if violations are detected; the warnings may be silenced with the QUIET configuration of MIME::Tools. SEE ALSO
MIME::Decoder AUTHOR
Eryq (eryq@zeegee.com), ZeeGee Software Inc (http://www.zeegee.com). All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2008-06-30 MIME::Decoder::NBit(3)