Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell Script for "Password Management" Post 303046174 by newbie_01 on Monday 27th of April 2020 01:33:26 AM
Old 04-27-2020
Hi

Thinking about it, I guess what am looking for is like an encrypted text database of some sort or an encrypted note taking app but one that I can run as a shell script, not one that I need to install or download and run make on 'coz am not the UNIX SysAdmin.

At the moment, I can make do with creating several text files, openssl encrypt it with a salt and remove the text file and then openssl decrypt, enter the required code/password and there I can see the 'secret' notes :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script that can give login password for "ssh" without involving STDIN

Hi Folks, I am writing a shell script that can logon to remote machine automatically. But, I am facing one problem. I am using "ssh" command in script and while login into remote machine it asks for passowrd and it stops for STDIN input for password. I want my script to supply password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

3. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Customize "change password" in unix shell

I want to customize the "change password" through unix shell. when a user's password is expired and he/she logs into shell next time he/she will be asked to change his/her password. At this time when the user provides new password instead of unix doing the "password change" action I want to call my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharmanikhilesh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing username and password to a script running inside "expect" script

Hi I'm trying to run a script " abc.sh" which triggers "use.sh" . abc.sh is nothing but a "expect" script which provides username and password automatically to the use.sh script. Please find below the scripts: #abc.sh #!/usr/bin/expect -f exec /root/use.sh expect "*name*" send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baddykam
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
crypt(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  crypt(3)

Name
       crypt, crypt16, setkey, encrypt - DES encryption

Syntax
       char *crypt(key, salt)
       char *key, *salt;

char *crypt16(key, salt)
       char *key, *salt;

void setkey(key)
       char *key;

Description
       The  subroutine is the password encryption routine.  It is based on the NBS Data Encryption Standard, with variations intended to frustrate
       use of hardware implementations of the DES for key search.

The first argument to is normally a user's typed password.  The second is a 2-character string chosen from the set [a-zA-Z0-9./].  The salt
       string  is  used to perturb the DES algorithm in one of 4096 different ways, after which the password is used as the key to encrypt repeat-
       edly a constant string.	The returned value points to the encrypted password, in the same alphabet as the salt.	The first  two	characters
       are the salt itself.

The subroutine is identical to the function except that it will accept a password up to sixteen characters in length. It generates a longer
       encrypted password for use with enhanced security features.

The other entries provide primitive access to the actual DES algorithm.	The argument of is a character array of length 64 containing  only
       the characters with numerical value 0 and 1.  If this string is divided into groups of 8, the low-order bit in each group is ignored, lead-
       ing to a 56-bit key which is set into the machine.

The argument to the entry is likewise a character array of length 64 containing 0s and 1s.  The argument array is modified in  place  to  a
       similar	array  representing the bits of the argument after having been subjected to the DES algorithm using the key set by If edflag is 0,
       the argument is encrypted; if non-zero, it is decrypted.

Restrictions
       The return values from and point to static data areas whose content is overwritten by each call.

Environment
   Default Environment
       In the default environment on systems that do not have the optional encryption software installed the function expects  exactly	one  argu-
       ment,  the data to be encrypted. The edflag argument is not supplied and there is no way to decrypt data.  If the optional encryption soft-
       ware is installed the function behaves as it does in the POSIX environment.  The syntax for the default environment follows:
	    void encrypt(block)
	    char *block;

POSIX Environment
       In the POSIX environment the encrypt function always expects two arguments.  The function will set errno to ENOSYS and return if edflag	is
       non-zero and the optional encryption software is not present.  The syntax for the POSIX environment follows:
	    void encrypt(block, edflag)
	    char *block;
	    int edflag;

In all cases the function will set errno to ENOSYS and return if the optional encryption software is not present.

See Also
       login(1), passwd(1), yppasswd(1yp), getpass(3), auth(5), passwd(5), passwd(5yp)
       ULTRIX Security Guide for Users and Programmers

crypt(3)