Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Advise to print lines before and after patterh match and checking and removing duplicate files Post 303046170 by RudiC on Sunday 26th of April 2020 09:38:36 AM
Old 04-26-2020
Looks like /usr/xpg4/bin/grep works as expected; why not try /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, then?

For your other problem:
Remove the .log entry from filesdone upfront, with e.g. sed. Or do so with a "command substitution" when presenting filesdone to grep.

Should I have misunderstood, and you want .log to be excluded from processing: depending on what the shell version you deploy offers, you may want to give extended pattern matching a try. man bash:
Quote:
If the extglob shell option is enabled using the shopt builtin, several extended pattern matching operators are recognized.
Something like $DIR_PATH/alert_${sid}!(.log) might be successful.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicate lines ignore case

hi, I have the following input in file: abc ab a AB b c a C B When I use uniq -u file,the out put file is: abc ab AB c v B C (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellsd
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicate lines from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove duplicate lines from a file. For example the contents of example.txt is: this is a test 2342 this is a test 34343 this is a test 43434 and i want to remove the "this is a test" lines only and end up with the numbers in the file, that is, end up with: 2342... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicate blank lines

Hi, how to remove the blank lines from the file only If we have more than one blank line. thanks rameez (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameezrajas
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the duplicate lines in a file

Hi, I need to concatenate three files in to one destination file.In this if some duplicate data occurs it should be deleted. eg: file1: ----- data1 value1 data2 value2 data3 value3 file2: ----- data1 value1 data4 value4 data5 value5 file3: ----- data1 value1 data4 value4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from string (not duplicate lines)

please help me in getting following: Input Desired output x="foo" foo x="foo foo" foo x="foo foo" foo x="foo abc foo" foo abc x="foo foo1 foo2" foo foo1 foo2 I need to remove duplicated from string.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicate Lines per Section

Hello, I am in need of removing duplicate lines from within a file per section. File: ABC1 012345 header ABC2 7890-000 ABC3 012345 Header Table ABC4 ABC5 593.0000 587.4800 ABC5 593.5000 587.6580 <= dup need to remove ABC5 593.5000 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicate lines while maintaing coherence with second file

So I have two files. The first file, file1.txt, has lines of numbers separated by commas. file1.txt 10,2,30,50 22,6,3,15,16,100 73,55 78,40,33,30,11 73,55 99,82,85 22,6,3,15,16,100 The second file, file2.txt, has sentences. file2.txt "the cat is fat" "I like eggs" "fish live in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrunknarwhal
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a block of duplicate lines from a file

Hi all, I have a file with the data 1 abc 2 123 3 ; 4 rao 5 bell 6 ; 7 call 8 abc 9 123 10 ; 11 rao 12 bell 13 ; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a set of Duplicate lines from a file

Hi, How do i remove a set of duplicate lines from a file. My file contains the lines: abc def ghi abc def ghi jkl mno pqr jkl mno (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raosr020
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Advise on how to print range of lines above and below a number?

Hi, I have attached an output file which is some kind of database file mapping. It is basically like an allocation mapping of a tablespace and its datafile/s. The output is generated by the SQL script that I found from 401 Authorization Required Excerpts of the file are as below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
basename(1)							   User Commands						       basename(1)

NAME
basename, dirname - deliver portions of path names SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/basename string [suffix] /usr/xpg4/bin/basename string [suffix] dirname string DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending in / and the suffix (if present in string) from string, and prints the result on the stan- dard output. It is normally used inside substitution marks (``) within shell procedures. /usr/bin The suffix is a pattern defined on the expr(1) manual page. /usr/xpg4/bin The suffix is a string with no special significance attached to any of the characters it contains. The dirname utility delivers all but the last level of the path name in string. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Setting environment variables The following example, invoked with the argument /home/sms/personal/mail sets the environment variable NAME to the file named mail and the environment variable MYMAILPATH to the string /home/sms/personal: example% NAME=`basename $HOME/personal/mail` example% MYMAILPATH=`dirname $HOME/personal/mail` Example 2: Compiling a file and moving the output This shell procedure, invoked with the argument /usr/src/bin/cat.c, compiles the named file and moves the output to cat in the current directory: example% cc $1 example% mv a.out `basename $1 .c` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of basename and dirname: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
expr(1), basename(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 18 Mar 1997 basename(1)