Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Retry Logic But In Cron
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Retry Logic But In Cron Post 303046120 by jgt on Friday 24th of April 2020 10:58:49 AM
Old 04-24-2020
In the following, the index file is placed in the requests directory, and the image file in the temp directory. The index files can have different extensions to indicate grouping or priority.
The pid file is used to prevent subsequent invocations of the cron job from running.
You can periodically examine the contents of the temp and request directories for entries that older than some specified time.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
cd /u/email
BATCH=$1
proc=$$
if [ -r /u/email/$BATCH.pid ]
then
    echo "Previous batch  still running" $(cat $BATCH.pid)
    exit
fi
echo $proc >/u/email/$BATCH.pid
list=$(ls requests|grep $BATCH)
if [ "$list" != "" ]
    then
    for request in $list
    do
    #do processing here          
    #if successful 
        mv requests/$request done
        mv temp/$request* done
    #else
       #echo "This one failed"
       #fi
    done
fi
rm /u/email/$BATCH.pid
echo finished at $(date)

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retry upon FTP failure

I am using the following code in a C Shell script to transfer files to a remote server: ftp -n logxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx.com <<DO_FTP1 quote user $user_name quote pass $password ascii put $js_file_name bin put $FinalZipFile quit DO_FTP1 This code works great except on those rare occasions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If then else - Retry operation

I need to read a file line by line, then depending on the contents of each line, type in a code that will get written to an array. The problem I have is when I ask the user to confirm the input code, if it is wrong, how do i Return to ask again? Any thing I try increments the file to the next... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcpoole
6 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)