Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newbie question about syntax
Operating Systems SCO Newbie question about syntax Post 303046066 by margaretduddy on Wednesday 22nd of April 2020 04:22:47 PM
Old 04-22-2020
Newbie question about syntax

Apologies for asking a dumb question - I am a total newbie and have a question about reading documentation.

In the man page for the command ps2pdf the synopsis is:

Code:
ps2pdf  [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-]   
ps2pdf12  [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] 
ps2pdf13  [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-]

I don't understand the details of {input.[e]ps|-}
Specifically what does the "e" represent?

TIA for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

hi im thinking of getting unix but i have no idea where to start I know that its an OS similar to linux but what hardware does in run on? i've heard of solaris but im not quit sure what it is thankxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninja
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Question...

Okay, I succesfully installed Redhat Linux 7.2 on my comp. I got some Linux drivers for my network card off the manufacturers site, but said driver is just some C source code. Does anybody have any idea what I do with it? Sorry for being vague... any help is greatly appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flopper
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Question

Hi, I have a file, that is delimited by :: and the purpose of this file is none of your business. ;) There are about 65000 lines in this file, and there are lines that I would like to remove. About 45000 of them. Is there some sort of commands that I can run, to remove word(s) from this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3gh05t
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question

Hello, I have text file while looks this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 and if I want to parse it and make new file which would like this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 How can I do this in korn shell script Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyush_23
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very new newbie question

sorry if im not asking inthe right spot but, how do you turn the beeping off every time you hit a key onthe keyboard. I tried the click -n but it told me it didnt recognize click any help would be greatly appreciated ( the beeping is not going over well in the surrounding cubicles) thank you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Split100
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

newbie question

hey all, I have repeatedly seen scripts containing the following syntax, grep "hello" $myfile >> $log 2>&1 can anyone explain exactly what "2>&1" mean? THANK YOU (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question?

What is the best way to learn UNIX on the web, with out buying books? any link would be much help. Thank you in advance, L (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsoria1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

10. Programming

Newbie Question.. -> error: syntax error before ';' token

Hello, the following is generating a error at the line "tmprintf(&tmBundle, _TMC("{0}"),Prompt);"... a bit lost as I am diving into this debug... Thank you in advance... int H_YesNo(TMCHAR *Prompt, int DefVal) { TMCHAR YesNo = '\0'; tmprintf(&tmBundle, _TMC("{0}"),Prompt); while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reelflytime
3 Replies
PS2PDF(1)							    Ghostscript 							 PS2PDF(1)

NAME
ps2pdf - Convert PostScript to PDF using ghostscript ps2pdf12 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.2 (Acrobat 3-and-later compatible) using ghostscript ps2pdf13 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4-and-later compatible) using ghostscript SYNOPSIS
ps2pdf [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf12 [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf13 [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] DESCRIPTION
The ps2pdf scripts are work-alikes for nearly all the functionality (but not the user interface) of Adobe's Acrobat(TM) Distiller(TM) prod- uct: they convert PostScript files to Portable Document Format (PDF) files. If the output filename is not specified, the output is placed is a file of the same name with a '.pdf' extension. Either the input filename or the output filename can be '-' to request reading from stdin or writing to stdout, respectively, when used as a filter. The three scripts differ as follows: - ps2pdf12 will always produce PDF 1.2 output (Acrobat 3-and-later compatible). - ps2pdf13 will always produce PDF 1.3 output (Acrobat 4-and-later compatible). - ps2pdf per se currently produces PDF 1.4 output. However, this may change in the future. If you care about the compatibility level of the output, use ps2pdf12 or ps2pdf13, or use the -dCompatibility=1.x switch in the command line. There are some limitations in ps2pdf's conversion. See the HTML documentation for more information. A large number of Adobe Distiller(TM) parameters which can be used to control the conversion are also documented there, including instructions for generating PDF/X and PDF/A documents. OPTIONS
The ps2pdf scripts use the same options as gs(1). EXAMPLES
Converting a figure.ps to figure.pdf: ps2pdf figure.ps A conversion with more specifics: ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress figure.ps proof.pdf Converting as part of a pipe: make_report.pl -t ps | ps2pdf -dCompatibility=1.3 - - | lpr SEE ALSO
gs(1), ps2pdfwr(1), Ps2pdf.htm in the Ghostscript documentation BUGS
See http://bugs.ghostscript.com/ and the Usenet news group comp.lang.postscript. VERSION
This document was last revised for Ghostscript version 8.70. AUTHOR
Artifex Software, Inc. are the primary maintainers of Ghostscript. This manpage by George Ferguson. 8.70 31 July 2009 PS2PDF(1)