Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove file isn't working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove file isn't working Post 303046029 by mustfirst on Wednesday 22nd of April 2020 03:24:35 AM
Old 04-22-2020
@peasant
Many thanks for your reply.

The OS is debian-linux-gnu

It looks like using atime is not the best choice and ctime is the ideal switch as the files in the folder won't be written once it is created.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

grep -r isn't working

Hi, I was trying to use this particular option of grep grep -r 'Search_pattern' * This command should ideally search all the occurrences of Search_pattern recursively within a directory & print it on shell prompt. But this command is not doing what is expected. It just displays nothin! ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which Sendmail version ? and why -d isn't working

Hi, I am trying to figure out which version I am running of sendmail, but I am buffed. This is what I get sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null sendmail: illegal option -- d Telneting to my host: ~]$ telnet localhost 25 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saariko
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why isn't this working? tsch-doit file

#! /usr/tsch foreach f (`cat contacts.list`) awk '{printf ($2 in a) ? ","$5 : (NR>1) ? RS $2 FS $5 : $2 FS $5; a} END{print e}' $f > $f_inter.map end My file: cat contacts.list is just a list of files. I get this error: doit_contacts2intermap.sh: Command not found. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lost
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

a very basic sed one-liner...that isn't working :-(

Greetings all. :) I would like to use sed to join all non-blank lines together in a particular file. I was thinking I could do this by simply replacing the terminating, new-line character on every line which is not blank, but I must be missing something in my sed line: $ sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteveB-in-LV
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk isn't working

awk 'BEGIN{print '1.2449'**0.5}' awk: line 1: syntax error at or near * can someone help me troubleshoot the above command? i'm trying to do the square root of 1.2449. this command works on Red Hat, but for some reasonn isn't working on kubuntu (latest version). shell is bash. i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab - runninf a java script just isn't quite working...

hi gurus. I have a little script that runs java from a certain directory. This script runs fine when run manually but when I try to schedule it, it fails to find the script. little_script.sh.. /<directory of java>/java -classpath... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCarter
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String == isn't working in [[-test

Hi. I'm new to this forum, my English perhaps is not so good, but here is my question: In bash you can use ] for tests, and how I understand it the variable names should be expanded automatically. So this should give "yes": xx=hello $ ] && echo yes || echo no no # not giving "yes" These two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

export of a variable isn't working

Hi I want export input data ... echo "month: " read m export m=$m also export m is not working ? the month-variable should be exportet for the use in other scripts, but it is not working like this. What i'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance! IMPe (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod working in sudo run script but chown isn't

My git user has permission in sudoers to run a wrapper script to move files into my webroot. Everything is working fine except for the chown line. After the script has run, the files ar still root:root instead of apache:apache. Scratching my head...:confused: #!/bin/sh echo echo "****... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Syslog daemon isn't working

Hi All, I've tried starting syslogd on our hp-ux 11.31 server. However, it is not getting started nor it is updating the syslog file. There is no space issue also. However, the mail.log file is approx 2GB, can that be of any issue. Please find the details below: # /sbin/init.d/syslogd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
2 Replies
AUTOTRASH(1)						      General Commands Manual						      AUTOTRASH(1)

NAME
autotrash -- program to automatically purge old files from the FreeDesktop.org trash SYNOPSIS
autotrash [-d purge_n_days_old] autotrash [--delete number_of_megabytes_to_purge] autotrash [--keep-free number_of_megabytes_to_free] DESCRIPTION
autotrash is a program that looks in a FreeDesktop.org Trash folder for information on it's contents and then purges a part of the trash depending on the options. The most common option is -d, which will purge files that have been in the trash for more then a given number of days. The option --delete will remove at least the given number of megabytes from the trash, removing the oldest trash first. Using --keep-free will make sure at least the given number of megabytes of free space is available, by automatically setting --delete to the right value. For example, to keep at least a 1GB of free space, removing files from the trash if needed, use autotrash --keep-free 1024 . OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). -h --help Show a summary of options. -d DAYS --days DAYS Purge files older than DAYS number of days. -T PATH --trash-path PATH Use the given path as the location of the Trash directory, instead of the default: ~/.local/share/Trash . --max-free M Only purge files if there is less than M megabytes of free space left at the trash location. As an example, if you set this to 1024, then autotrash will only start to work if there is less than 1GB of free space in the trash. Till that time, autotrash will just exit normally without scanning the Trash directory. If unsure, try running autotrash with --dry-run and --verbose to see the effect. --delete M Purge at least M megabytes, deleting oldest trash addition first. It uses trash entries, NOT individual files. This means that if your oldest trashed item is a 1GB directory, and you request at least 10MB to be removed (M=10), autotrash will remove 1GB. If unsure, try running autotrash with both --dry-run and --stat to see the effect. --min-free M --keep-free M Make sure there is a minimum of M megabytes of free space. If there is less free space, set --delete to the difference between M and the amount of free space. If unsure, try running autotrash with --dry-run and --verbose to see the effect. -D REGEX --delete-first REGEX Purge any file which matches REGEX first, regardless of it's time-stamp. REGEX must be a valid regular expression. If this option is used multiple times, the files matching the first regular expression are deleted first, then the second etc. Example, delete any *.avi files first, then by age: --delete-first '.*.avi' -v --verbose Output information on what is happening and why. -q --quiet Only output warnings. --check Report .trashinfo files that point to a non-existing file. This will only happen with a broken Trashcan. It is left up to the user to actually do something with this information. These files will be removed as soon as the mentioned file would be removed by autotrash. --dry-run Only list what would be done, but actually do nothing. --stat Show the number, and total size of files involved. -V --version Show the version of program. EXAMPLES
Examples of program use. autotrash -d 30 Purge any file that has been in the trash for more then 30 days. autotrash --max-free 1024 -d 30 Only purge files from the trash if there is less than 1GB of space left on the trash filesystem. If so, only trash files that are older than 30 days. autotrash --min-free 2048 Purge files from trash, oldest first, till there is at least 2GB of space on the trash filesystem. There is no restriction on how old trashed files are. autotrash --min-free 2048 -D '.*.bak' -D '.*.avi' Purge files from trash till there is at least 2GB of space on the trash filesystem. If we need to remove files, make sure we remove *.bak files first, then all *.avi files and after that the oldest to the newest. There is no restriction on how old trashed files can get. Please note that '.*.bak' and '.*.avi' are regular expressions and not glob patterns. Given that they are regular expressions, using -D '.*.(png|gif|jpg|jpeg)' will match images with any of the given extensions. autotrash --max-free 4000 --min-free 2048 -d 30 Start reading the trash if there is less than 4000MB of free space, then start keeping an eye on. At that point, remove files older than 30 days and if there is less than 2GB of free space after that remove even newer files. @hourly /usr/bin/autotrash --max-free 4000 --min-free 2048 -d 30 Experienced users should consider adding autotrash as a crontab entry, using crontab -e and adding the line above. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by A. Bram Neijt bram@neijt.nl for the Debian system (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. AUTOTRASH(1)