Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Convert floating to integer in ksh Post 303046025 by Neo on Tuesday 21st of April 2020 11:44:05 PM
Old 04-22-2020
Maybe try something basic like this in ksh?

Code:
a=3333.5678
b=$((rint(a)))
echo "a is $a"
echo "b is $b"

Code:
$ ksh test_rint.ksh 
a is 3333.5678
b is 3334

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert from an integer to a string

i want to convert from an integer to a string..in unix...i am writing a C program with embedded SQL... I remeber using itoa...but for some reason it doesnt work......i cant find it in the manual..... Maybe that is the wrong command..... but i have checked Dev Studio.....and it doest exist in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojomonkeyhelper
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace floating-point by integer in awk

Hi, I am trying to write a script to extract multiple sets of data from a chemistry output file. The problem section is in the following format... Geometry "geometry" -> "geometry" 1 Pd 46.0000 -0.19290971 0.00535260 0.02297606 2 P ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smadonald1
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if input is an integer or a floating point?

Hiii I actually intent to check the integer or floating point number input by user i.e. 23, 100, 55.25, 12.50 ..etc. However, when someone input strings or alpha character, my program has to show invalid input.!! Is there any Unix shell script syntax can help me to check ? Thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating point to integer in variable length lines

Hi ! I'm looking for a way to transform certain floating point numbers in a one-line, variable length file to integers. I can do this in a crude way with sed : sed -e 's/0\.\(\):/\1:/g' -e 's/0\.0\(\):/\1:/g' -e 's/1\.000:/100:/g' myfile ... but this doesn't handle the rounding correctly. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a floating number in ksh

Hi ! How to increment a varibale in ksh. #!/bin/ksh set -x RELEASE_NUM=5.2.103 VAL=0.0.1 RELEASE_NUM=`echo $RELEASE_NUM + $VAL | bc` echo $RELEASE_NUM The above code is throwing this error. + RELEASE_NUM=5.2.103 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to Integer

Hi fellows!! i'm doing something which is not working out for me properly which i don't understand why nowdate=`date +%s` echo $nowdate now the problem how to convert a date which is stored in a variable mydate="22/Oct/2011" mydate=`date -d '$mydate' +%s` it gives error... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_newbie
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare floating variables , integer value expected?

I am running some commands and I am trying to get an output into a variable. I am having problem when I try to put that value in while loop, it says integer value expected. What's the best way to accomplish this remaining=$(symclone -sid XXX -f Clone_test query | grep MB | awk '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] need to convert decimal to integer

Using below command awk 'NR==FNR{A=$1;next} {sum+=($2*A)}END{OFMT="%20f";print int(sum)}' Market.txt Product.txt answer:351770174.00000 how to convert this to 351770174. when i try with below command i am getting different result. awk 'NR==FNR{A=$1;next}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing integer columns to floating decimal columns

I have a document that has 7 columns. eg. $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 string string string string integer integer integer The 6th and 7th columns are a mix of integers and floating decimals (with 4 decimal places). I need to convert the last 2 columns so that all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadm
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert floating point to a number

Hello Guys, I have a floating point number 1.14475E+15 I want to convert this number in to full number (Integer or Big integer). I tried couple of functions it did not work. When I use INT=${FLOAT/.*} I am getting value as 1. I don't want a truncated value #!/bin/bash #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
9 Replies
shell_builtins(1)                                                                                                                shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)