Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echo displays strange output when '?' is used Post 303046010 by RudiC on Tuesday 21st of April 2020 02:28:09 PM
Old 04-21-2020
I bet you have a P , a T , and a V file in your working directory, as ? is a "special pattern character" that "matches any single character" (cf man bash).
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange output from grep

Hi, I am getting different output for grep depending which directory I am in. The following is a transcript of my session, I am using egrep but have also used grep -E. The directory names have been changed for security: $pwd /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 $echo 000000 |egrep -v $echo $? 1 $cd ..... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
10 Replies

2. AIX

who -r displays no output

Hello. I have an AIX machine at 6100-00. We had some strange activity since filling up /tmp. One symptom is that who -r displays no output. It doesn't hang just no output is displayed. We are going to boot the machine, but prior to that I'd like to dig a bit to see what may be causing the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maficdan
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file that contains output from a command, and then displays itself

hey, I'm trying to create the command that will create a file named user.txt that contains the output of the command cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd, and displays itself afterwards. I don't know how to bridge cat > user.txt with cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd, or how display it afterwards. Any help would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange output

I had a similar script in solaris and it had no problem. I wrote this one in freeBSD and it gave me strange output. Can anyone please tell me why? thanks a lot #!/bin/sh #This is a shell script that checks file system capacity mounted on /home directory #If file system is over 90% capacity,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k2k
1 Replies

5. Solaris

solaris 10 strange df output

hi, in solaris 10 SUN SPARC V245 server the following df -h output is showing . can i reuse the following disk space by deleting them /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 20G 5.2G 14G 27% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani.madiraju
2 Replies

6. Solaris

ls -l displays output with an error

when i use ls command it works normal but when i using additional parameter with ls like ls -l , ls -a... it shows a error followed by the output. # ls -l ./hgfs: Operation not applicable total 12861 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 1 21:12 1 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange output with du

Can someone please explain why I get two outputs with the du command? The first one gave me one. I also didn't ask for the second directory so why did it give that directory? $ du -h "/media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist" 775M /media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist $ du -h "/media/Part... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange /etc/passwd output

Can someone please explain this to me? auser:x:500:500:Anne User:/home/auser:/bin/sh buser:x:501:501:Bob User:/home/buser:/bin/bash I'm used to it looking like this. What is the difference between the first name and second name? In the first case I had to use the first name to change my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo's strange output

Hi, Kindly help me to understand the behavior or logic of the below shell command $ echo $!# echo $echo $ $ $ echo !$# echo $# 0 I am using GNU bash, version 3.2.25(1)-release (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Output Displays Multiple Text

Hello there, I'm using a read-while loop to preserve the word Failed within a text file. For example, if the word Failed exist twice in a single text file, my STDOUT should re-direct to a new text file and display Failed twice. My output is attached to this thread. I would like output to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SysAdminRialto
4 Replies
fnmatch(3C)															       fnmatch(3C)

NAME
fnmatch() - match filename patterns SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
performs pattern matching as described in regexp(5) under By default, the rule qualifications for filename expansion do not apply; i.e., periods (dots) and slashes are matched as ordinary characters. This default behavior can be modified by using the flags described below. The flag argument modifies the interpretation of pattern and string. If which is defined in is set in flag, a slash character in string must be explicitly matched by a slash in pattern; it cannot be matched by either the asterisk or question mark special characters or by a bracket expression. If is set in flag, a leading period must be explicitly matched. It will not be matched by a bracket expression, question mark or asterisk. By default, a period is leading if it is the first character in string. If is set in flag, a period is leading if it is the first charac- ter in string or immediately follows a slash. If is not set in flag, a backslash character in pattern followed by any other character matches that second character in string. In par- ticular, matches a backslash in string. If is set, a backslash character is treated as an ordinary character. If flag is zero, the slash character and the period are treated as regular characters. If flag has any other value, the result is unde- fined. RETURN VALUE
If string matches the pattern specified by pattern, returns zero. Otherwise, returns non-zero. EXAMPLE
The following excerpt uses to check each file in a directory against the pattern pattern = "*.c"; while(dp = readdir(dirp)){ if((fnmatch(pattern, dp->d_name,0)) == 0){ /* do processing for match */ ... } } AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3C), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fnmatch(3C)