Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: False positive grep?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting False positive grep? Post 303045948 by sea on Sunday 19th of April 2020 03:33:38 AM
Old 04-19-2020
Good morning MIG Smilie

Yes, I'm always getting confused whether to use /dev/null or /dev/zero, because most of the *nix flavors I use, have both.

Code:
if [[ ${#NUM} -ge 0 ]] &2>/dev/null

Yes, this might be unususal, but it helps to avoid parsing errors -> well the visual breakup <- when 'catching' arrow keys (NOT specificly).

Are you refering to the other '^[[' line just above - which is commented out, or to the '[a-zA-Z]' grep to be changed to ~=?
But basicly, neither of those lines are 'now' executed, because it's 'all' left out anyway - to my understanding - the only reason it's still there, is because I just had it rewritten it compared to the initial post (before sleeping).
Code:
			else
				# It's not a number, catch other cases
				continue
			# Actualy, all checks below are (can be) left out....

Or am I missing a point of yours?
Thank you.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

bin\false

We have requirments to not allow a userid login abilities but allow users to 'su' to it. In solaris I normally set the shell in /etc/passwd to bin/false. THis does not work on Linux, any suggestions would help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bryanthomas
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

false use of sed???

i want to delete every newline and every line which starts with "RECORD......." in a file. FILE: Record 61391 in base BROCKHAUS (Timestamp: 2008-04-09 11:38:38) UNTERTITEL : Gräfin (seit 1707 Reichsgräfin) von, * Schwerin 4. 2. 1686, + Berlin 21. 10. 1744; wurde Record 61392 in base BROCKHAUS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trek
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is it always false?

Hi, I'm new to UNIX and am trying to learn shell scripting in order to work on an interface that I inherited when a co-worker left. I need to be able to check to see whether a file exists to determine whether the FTP has taken place, but in testing, the if statement always evaluates as false,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JeffR
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

False Condition

Hi All, I am using the below Script to enter a line in the File: #!/bin/ksh # To delete the last line if it contains the pattern Redirect permanent / Virgin Atlantic Airways - Popup echo "Enter the URL that should point to the particular microsite" read url # To delete the last line if it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

false tcp connection

Why this happens? How to solve this? $netstat -na |grep 9325 tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:9325 127.0.0.1:9325 ESTABLISHED When a client socket repeatedly tries to connect to an inactive(no server socket is listening on this port) local port,connect succeeds. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnbach
1 Replies

6. AIX

Gid=0 and 7 + admin=FALSE

Checking configuration access files for an AIX server, left me wondering about this :confused:: If a user is added to system group, it gets gid=0 with some security risks because it gets some root kind of file access level. Is this insecure condition kept if the user has admin variable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkiddo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tail with positive offset

I have read the below from the book bash cookbook.Tail +1 filenames is similar to cat filename I have tried the same in Ubuntu 11.10 with bash. 4.0 . I have received error for the Same. May I know in which system that will work fine ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

False alerts

Hi I have written a script to send email alerts when load of my linux server reaches max point I keep getting false emails thought the load is normal , looks like same email is generated again and again - called from cron tab checked if the tempfile is present , no it is not , cleaned... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
22 Replies
MEM(4)                                                       Linux Programmer's Manual                                                      MEM(4)

NAME
mem, kmem, port - system memory, kernel memory and system ports DESCRIPTION
/dev/mem is a character device file that is an image of the main memory of the computer. It may be used, for example, to examine (and even patch) the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. References to nonexistent locations cause errors to be returned. Examining and patching is likely to lead to unexpected results when read-only or write-only bits are present. Since Linux 2.6.26, and depending on the architecture, the CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM kernel configuration option limits the areas which can be accessed through this file. For example: on x86, RAM access is not allowed but accessing memory-mapped PCI regions is. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/mem c 1 1 chown root:kmem /dev/mem The file /dev/kmem is the same as /dev/mem, except that the kernel virtual memory rather than physical memory is accessed. Since Linux 2.6.26, this file is available only if the CONFIG_DEVKMEM kernel configuration option is enabled. It is typically created by: mknod -m 640 /dev/kmem c 1 2 chown root:kmem /dev/kmem /dev/port is similar to /dev/mem, but the I/O ports are accessed. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/port c 1 4 chown root:kmem /dev/port FILES
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/port SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), ioperm(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-01-02 MEM(4)