Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Difference between bash and bourne shell scripts in UNIX Post 303045867 by vgersh99 on Thursday 16th of April 2020 10:51:21 AM
Old 04-16-2020
#!/bin/bash should make the script interpreted by bash IF you call/execute the script by its name: myScriptName.sh
(unless you call/execute the script by something similar to: sh myScriptName.sh)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNix Bourne Shell

i require a utility that identifies all users currently logged into the system. It should create a file called logfile which contains a list of usernames together with a count of how many login sessions they are currently running, for example coc9io : 1 hbh8jd : 3 dg7hy : 1 root : 4 it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter112
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference in Shell Scripts

Hi, Is anyone can help me to find out the difference in Shell Scripts between HP and Sun. Thanks in advance, Vijay R (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rv_kumar
3 Replies

3. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to log if the program contains both bourne-shell & pearl scripts

I have a program (say, MyProgram) written in Bourne-shell script, but at some point it calls another script written in pearl, as illustrated below: #!/bin/sh ..... case $x in 1) ConfigSystem1 ( b-shell script) 2) ConfigSystem2 ( pl) 3) ConfigSystem3 (b-shell) .... Then I create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
0 Replies

5. Solaris

difference in calling shell scripts

Hi I am getting some errors when i am running the shell script using the following syntax: >abc.sh but the same script works fine with the following syntax: >sh abc.sh wats the difference in both....please help thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpit_narula
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see.

for (( i=1; i<=3; i++ )); do for (( j=1; j<=3; j++ )); do for (( k=1; k<=3; k++ )); do echo $i$j$k done done done Will the above code work on a BOURNE shell? As far as my understanding is, if I am writing the above code in a file..say lol.sh and then running it through the terminal using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between kshell and bash shell scripts Example cited

Hi All, I need some urgent help regarding some info. I have a cluster of servers for which I have two scripts for management. control.sh is a bash script meant for restarting/stopping the servers. manger.ksh is a kshell script. It is a master script to manage restarting/stoppping and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Understanding the difference between individual BASH login scripts

Hello... and thanks in advance for reading this or offering me any assistance I'm trying to understand specific differences between the various login scripts... I understand the differences between interactive vs non-interactive and login vs non-login shells... and that's not where my question... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
4 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)