Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Difference between bash and bourne shell scripts in UNIX Post 303045866 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 16th of April 2020 10:28:08 AM
Old 04-16-2020
The #!/bin/bash is supported on all Unix, if present.
Test it with /bin/bash --version

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNix Bourne Shell

i require a utility that identifies all users currently logged into the system. It should create a file called logfile which contains a list of usernames together with a count of how many login sessions they are currently running, for example coc9io : 1 hbh8jd : 3 dg7hy : 1 root : 4 it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter112
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference in Shell Scripts

Hi, Is anyone can help me to find out the difference in Shell Scripts between HP and Sun. Thanks in advance, Vijay R (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rv_kumar
3 Replies

3. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to log if the program contains both bourne-shell & pearl scripts

I have a program (say, MyProgram) written in Bourne-shell script, but at some point it calls another script written in pearl, as illustrated below: #!/bin/sh ..... case $x in 1) ConfigSystem1 ( b-shell script) 2) ConfigSystem2 ( pl) 3) ConfigSystem3 (b-shell) .... Then I create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
0 Replies

5. Solaris

difference in calling shell scripts

Hi I am getting some errors when i am running the shell script using the following syntax: >abc.sh but the same script works fine with the following syntax: >sh abc.sh wats the difference in both....please help thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpit_narula
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see.

for (( i=1; i<=3; i++ )); do for (( j=1; j<=3; j++ )); do for (( k=1; k<=3; k++ )); do echo $i$j$k done done done Will the above code work on a BOURNE shell? As far as my understanding is, if I am writing the above code in a file..say lol.sh and then running it through the terminal using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between kshell and bash shell scripts Example cited

Hi All, I need some urgent help regarding some info. I have a cluster of servers for which I have two scripts for management. control.sh is a bash script meant for restarting/stopping the servers. manger.ksh is a kshell script. It is a master script to manage restarting/stoppping and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Understanding the difference between individual BASH login scripts

Hello... and thanks in advance for reading this or offering me any assistance I'm trying to understand specific differences between the various login scripts... I understand the differences between interactive vs non-interactive and login vs non-login shells... and that's not where my question... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
4 Replies
gst-complete-0.8(1)						   User Commands					       gst-complete-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-complete-0.8, gst-complete - perform bash completion for gst-launch command lines SYNOPSIS
complete -Cgst-complete-0.8 gst-launch gst-complete [--gst-list-mm] [--gst-mm=string] [--print] DESCRIPTION
gst-complete-0.8 enables bash to provide context-sensitive tab completion for gst-launch command lines. See gst-launch(1) for the syntax of gst-launch command lines. You must have a version of bash that supports programmable completion. Such versions of bash provide the complete built-in command. gst-complete is a wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X. For example, if both gst-complete-0.7 and gst- complete-0.8 are installed on your system, gst-complete runs gst-complete-0.8. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-complete-0.8 and gst-complete: --help Display detailed usage message. You can also use -? to specify this option. The following options are supported by gst-complete only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating the Registry of Available Plugins by Running gst-compprep Run the following command in your .bash_profile or other appropriate place: example% complete -C gst-complete-0.8 gst-launch Example 2: Running the Wrapper Script and Displaying the Command Name example% gst-complete --print /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.8 FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.Executable for bash completion for gst-launch /usr/bin/gst-complete Wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-launch-ext(1), gst-md5sum(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst- typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-complete-0.8(1)