Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Update on vB3 Migration to Discourse - Issues and Status of BBCode Transformations Post 303045772 by Neo on Sunday 12th of April 2020 11:31:49 PM
Old 04-13-2020
Another update:

We continue to make progress in the complex mess of migration the bbcode from the old forum to the new ones:
  • @Scrutinzer wrote some nice code which strips all bbcode from our old code tags (like color, fonts, etc) because these will not work in markdown in the new forums.
  • After more testing, it became clear also that old bbcode tags like color, which look good in one theme, look terrible in other themes. So, I have decided to strip out the vast majority of these legacy bbcode tags in the migration everwhere (COLOR, SIZE, FONT, etc). This insures that themes in the new forums are not constrained by low value color, fonts and size types of bbcode.
  • In addition, inline code tags need an extra space before and after when the migrate to MD because often users do not put spaces and this causes markdown (MD) errors.

On the system admin side:
  • I found out that Docker on MacOS does not support unix sockets being shared outside the docker container. I found this out after spending two days trying to set up a new test configuration which decouples the Discourse app in the container with external ports. However, it works fine on Linux. This means that I will migrate all Discourse apps (staging and production) from a single standalone docker container to a two container solution, where the postgres db data is in one container and the web app is an other container.
  • In addition, the web app container will no longer expose TCP/IP web sockets directly but will only expose a unix socket. This means we can decouple the web app from the web server; and so, for example, we can completely rebuild the app in a new docker web container, and expose a different unix socket.
  • On nginx, this means we can just switch between docker instances with a simple symbolic link change outside the container. This is very powerful. I have tested it and it works flawlessly.
  • On apache2, reverse proxy symbolic links to unix sockets in the docker container do not work (will not connect); only direct links to the unix socket works in the proxy pass configuration to a shared docker unix socket, so this requires an apache server restart.
  • nginx does not require a restart because the symlink works.
  • Yesterday, I got both apache2 and nginx working in reverse proxy mode to a unix socket; but ran into some minor issues with SSL; which is the next layer of testing I need to do. It worked flawlessly on http but I ran into some small issues on https (SSL).
  • Also, in quick testing, I found that ngnix was about five percent faster than apache2, but that was on two different servers with very different configurations and traffic, so this comparison is not (yet) relevant nor valid

So where are we now?
  • Still testing various preprocessing code routines against the DB, looking for anomalies. We are not hoping for 100% perfect, but we do want to keep all the code and solutions in tact for sure (sans color, font size, fonts, etc).
  • Soon, I will work on getting SSL to work on the "two container with web server reversed proxy to an exposed docker unix socket" (TTWSRPEDUS, LOL) solution on a staging server.

That's it for now.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script migration issues

Hi All, We will be doing a Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 migration migration, just wanted to know if there are any known / common issues arise from this migration from Shell script point of view. I tried searching this site but mostly post are related to SA's question and jumpstart, etc. If there's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindcgi
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Migration - Compiler Issues.

All, We are migrating an application from HP-UX B.11.00 to HP-UX B.11.31 and both of them have the same informix version - 7.25se. However the compilers are different on both servers. HP-UX B.11.00 - has B3913DB C.03.33 HP aC++ Compiler (S800) HP-UX B.11.31 - has PHSS_40631 1.0 HP C/aC++... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: helper
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to track table status delete/update/insert status in DB2 V10 z/os?

Dear Team I am using DB2 v10 z/os database . Need expert guidance to figure out best way to track table activities ( Ex Delete, Insert,Update ) Scenario We have a table which is critical and many developer/testing team access on daily basis . We had instance where some deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Status of Migration of Moderation Systems

First a bit of history .... A number of years ago one of our admins built a number of plugin systems for moderation, including (1) a voting system, (2) a "user feelings" system and (3) a confidential posting system. During this time, I was busy on other projects, not very active in the forums,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

VBulletin 3.8 to Discourse on Docker Migration Test Take Two

OK. Like we all do, we learn a lot from tests, test migrations, and so forth. Today, I started from scratch on test migration 2, armed with a lot more knowledge, The main differences are as follows: Installed discourse plugin ruby-bbcode-to-md before starting the install Modified... (30 Replies)
30 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

VBulletin 3.8 to Discourse on Docker Migration Test Take Four

Test Build 4 on New Server, with changes identified in discourse test builds 2 and 3, primarily: Insuring ruby-bbcode-to-markdown is enabled. Removing line breaks from ICODE to markdown in migration script. Added vbpostid to posts in discourse to setup migrating vb "thanks" to discourse... (28 Replies)
28 Replies