Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Without the aid of the escape mechanism, how to put a raw string into a variable? Post 303045752 by RudiC on Sunday 12th of April 2020 05:52:15 AM
Old 04-12-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecracker

STRING=' !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~'

Your STRING assignment ends with the second single quote after the & :
Code:
STRING=' !"#$%&'

and thus the following ( is not recognized by the shell:
Quote:
./rawstring.sh: 33: ./rawstring.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Quote:
# The line below does not even get executed!
echo "${STRING}"
Of course not - it is part of the single quoted literal string started with the very last character two lines above.

I'm afraid you won't escape escaping in some way. Try e.g. using this mechanism man bash:
Quote:
Quoting:
Words of the form $'string' are treated specially. The word expands to string, with backslash-escaped characters replaced as specified by the ANSI C standard. Backslash escape sequences, if present, are decoded as follows: ...

Code:
STRING=$' !"#$%&\47()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~'

Last edited by RudiC; 04-12-2020 at 07:01 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put raw data to column data

Dear all, I want below data to make it in column format.so i will see the data like this cdrID teleServiceCode chargedPartyNumber ... ... ... ... "egmailcom0w10ggzx00" 'sMS (5)' "716323770" "m17ifi5z30w0z6o7200" 'sMS (5)' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove escape characters from string

Hello all, I have a string var which contains formatting characters at the end, it is a string with EScape sequences at the end of it. How can I remove them so that I only keep the 'real' text? I tried : var1=${var1%%\033[0m} does not seem to do the job .... Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
2 Replies

3. Programming

how to use hex escape char with string in C?

I want it to ouput "abcd", but it dosen't. 1 #include<stdio.h> 2 int main() 3 { 4 printf("a\x62cd"); 5 } 6 gcc alarm.c -o alarm alarm.c: In function 'main': alarm.c:4:9: warning: hex escape sequence out of range It seems that the complier joint "cd" as part of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk not escape my bash variable

I tried to parse data from switch configuration files vlan 1727 name SQ5506-15 by port tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 untagged ethe 1/13 ! vlan 2105 name SQ5620-7007(BR2) by port tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 untagged ethe 1/17 ! interface ethernet 1/13 port-name SQ5506-15.nic0 rate-limit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: winggundamth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store a escape character in a Variable.?

How to store escape character in the variable. Var=abc,def,ghi,jkl echo ${Var} | sed -e "s/,/|\\\\./g;s/^/\\\\./g" \.abc|\.def|\.ghi|\.hjk Var1=`echo ${Var} | sed -e "s/,/|\\\./g;s/^/\\\./g"` Actual: ------- echo $Var1 .abc|.def|.ghi|.jkl Expected: --------- echo $Var1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

String has * as the field delimiter and I need echo/awk to escape it, how?

Hi, I am trying to read an Oracle listener log file line by line and need to separate the lines into several fields. The field delimiter for the line happens to be an asterisk. I have the script below to start with but when running it, the echo command is globbing it to include other... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape colon sign from variable in shell?

Hello, Below script works fine when I manually enter required information for each file. When it comes to shell in auto mode, it gives various errors. I am under ubuntu 14.04 / trusty. manual_run.sh: #!/bin/bash /usr/bin/ffmpeg -start_at_zero -copyts -i nicki.mp4 -c:v mpeg2video \ -b:v 500k... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape characters in a variable

Debian 9 64x - LXDE How can i disable escape sequences in a variable? #!/bin/bash #mainscript . "./links.bash" echo "$red_start This text should be red $color_end"#!/bin/bash #links.bash #colors red_start="\eOutput that i get: \e Output expected: This text should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
5 Replies