Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create array with arguments passed to the script Post 303045731 by RudiC on Saturday 11th of April 2020 06:29:42 AM
Old 04-11-2020
It doesn't work that way. First, you need to use a "command substitution" for the seq command. Then, $X will be expanded to 1 .. $#, NOT to the values of the respective positional parameters. There are other ways:

Code:
for X in $(seq 1 $#)
  do    arr[X]=$1
        shift
  done

or

Code:
arr=($@)

which will assign elements starting from 0, or, less favoured, using the deprecated (and dangerous) eval,

Code:
for X in $(seq 1 $#)
  do     eval arr[X]=\$$X
  done

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

count no of arguments passed to a function

hi i have a function abc { //from this function i am passing args to antoher function like def a b c j k l } now i want to count the no of args coming to def() function and iterate over those values is there any way to do this one please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to SQL file passed in shell script?

Hi, I am using SYBASE database. in my script i am connecting to DB via using isql. isql -U${S_USER} -S${S_SERV} -D${S_DB} -P${S_PWD} -b0 -w3000 -h0 -s"|" -i${MYDIR}/ABC.sql -oXYZ.txt << FINSQL i am taking a ABC.sql file to use the queries written in it and storing the output in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if passed arguments is users

i want to check passed arguments one by one and if it is user print home director of that user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: testman84
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

how can i know what arguments are passed to a pre install rpm script?

hi, i have an rpm, and i am looking at the presinstall script. i can see it takes in an argument, but what i do not know is how this argument is passed to the script? is there something that calls the preinstall script? i thought the preinstall script was the first thing executed. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Function not called when no arguments is passed

Hi Guys, I am trying to pass arguments to the script i am wrinting. When no argument is passed or wrong argument is passed, the script needs to output the way it needs to be called and exit. Currently, when no arguments is passed, it is not getting exited but goes on assuming those... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store all the passed arguments in an array and display the array

Hi I want to write a script which store all the parameters passed to the script into an array. Once it is stored I want scan through the array and and delete those files for last month present inside the directory. The files in directory is appneded with YYYY_MM_DD. I want to know how can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
3 Replies

7. Programming

create a spool file based on values passed from korn shell to sql script

this is my issue. 4 parameters are passed from korn shell to sql script. parameter_1= varchar2 datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_2= number datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_3= number datatype or no value entered my user. parameter_4= number datatype or no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting columns passed as arguments to the script

Hi all, I am trying to delete columns in a file using a script. The columns that need to be deleted are passed as arguments to the script. The script should look like this > delete_columns.sh <file_name.txt> <column_numbers_to_be_deleted> The contents of the file_name.txt will be like ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VNR
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can multiple arguments be passed to shell script?

My requirement is that I want to pass similar argument to a shell script and process it in the script. Something like below: myScript.sh -c COMPONENT1 -c COMPONENT2 -a APPNote: -c option can be specified multiple times and -a is optional parameter I know this can be achieved using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajdeep_paul
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create runtime variables based on the number of parameters passed in the script

Hi All, I have a script which intends to create as many variables at runtime, as the number of parameters passed to it. The script needs to save these parameter values in the variables created and print them abc.sh ---------- export Numbr_Parms=$# export a=1 while do export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)