Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Can't solve failed dependencies while installing a package. Post 303045693 by Neo on Thursday 9th of April 2020 04:22:02 AM
Old 04-09-2020
Maybe this is helpful:

AIX Open Source Packages | FAQs / FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

From the ref above:

Quote:
A solution to the RPM dependency hell problem

I guess everybody who has installed a couple of RPM packages using rpm itself and not the help with a tool like yum ran into the following issue:

You have downloaded and want to install RPM aaa.rpm.

aaa.rpm has dependency on bbb.rpm and ccc.rpm.
bbb.rpm has dependency on ddd.rpm and ccc.rpm on eee.rpm and fff.rpm.
etc.

So you end up circling through all your RPM files and downloading all prerequisite RPM files just to install aaa.rpm. This can become quite annoying and time-consuming for packages with lots of dependencies. This is actually where a tool like yum is helping you a lot because it does all the steps outlined above for you. Unfortunately, I have so far found no way of compiling and providing YUM for AIX that could be done in a compatible manner (to the IBM provided RPM) as AIX still uses the old V3.0.5 version of RPM while all RPM-based Linux distributions have switched to RPM V4.X a long time ago. Also all recent YUM versions require at least a RPM version >= 4.4.

My solution approach to this problem

Basically what you want is a complete and self-contained list of dependencies for the RPM file aaa.rpm.
You download all the RPM packages on this list (make sure that you have downloaded them all into a separate directory which was empty before).
After downloading all the RPM packages on the list you can just install the RPM file aaa.rpm as easy as
rpm -Uvh *.rpm

This approach mimics kind of the AIX NIM behavior of a software bundle (the list here) and a lpp_source (the separate directory containing all required RPM files).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Failed dependencies of rpm / how does RPM check for ?

Hey, I've a problem installing a package. rpm -ivh brings the errors: libjvm.so is needed by libverify.so is needed by But I have installed the Java SDK like requested and the files are on the disk. But I have no idea how to find out, why rpm cann't find them. I have also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mod
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Installing font package

Hi All, Where do I find/download this font package 'FONT_FAMILY_SANS_SERIF-FONT_STYLE_NORMAL-14' and how to install it ? When I run an osi utility (ftamtool) it shows me this error: ##FTAM Tool : XView ERROR XView warning: Impossible de charger le jeu de caractères 'FONT_FAMILY_SANS_SERI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

problem with Dependencies package !

Dear Friends , I am using RHEL 5 server . In Linux when I am going to install 'mod_ssl' rpm then I got the following error : # rpm -ivh mod_ssl-2.2.3-6.el5.i386.rpm --aid --force warning: mod_ssl-2.2.3-6.el5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186 error: Failed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem while installing WAS ND package

Hi everyone, Hope u doing good. I am trying to installl WebSphere Application Server(WAS) ND package, i got problem at initial level I hope, the problem is with Mozilla browzer. Can anyone trobleshoot the problem An error occurred while starting the launchpad for a WebSphere Application ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarfraz
0 Replies

5. BSD

Installing MySQL package

Hey all I'm having a little trouble installing a MySQL database. This is what I tried... export PKG_PATH=ftp://mirror.planetunix.net/pub/OpenBSD/4.9/packages/`machine -a` pkg_add -v mysql-server mysql-client and this is what I get Unknown element: @rcscript /etc/rc.d/mysqld in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: desreguard
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Failed dependencies loop forever

Hello All, I was trying to install one rpm and it failed due to missing dependencies, when I try to look at the dependencies and try to install them it is asking for 100+ dependencies, did any one ever face this problem? how can we fix this? rpm -ivh /var/tmp/erlang-R15B-02.1.el6.x86_64.rpm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
0 Replies

7. Linux

Failed dependencies

Hi all, i'm trying to upgrade pandorafms to the new version 4.0.3-130118, actually i have installed on my machine the version 3.0.0-8.1.el5, the error i'm getting when trying to update its the following rpm -Uvh pandorafms_agent_unix-4.0.3-130118.noarch.rpm error: Failed dependencies: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charli1
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

RPM failed dependencies

I'm trying to package the latest Oracle JDK (1.7.0_51) into an RPM. Packaging works fine but when i try to install via rpm -Uvh xxx.rpm, i get the following: #sudo rpm -ivh Sun_JDK7-1.7.0-51.x86_64.rpm error: Failed dependencies: libavcodec.so.52()(64bit) is needed by Sun_JDK7-1.7.0-51.x86_64... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asc123321
3 Replies

9. Linux

Installing perl5.14 failed

Hi, While installing perl5.14 on my Linux box its failing with c compiler issue. below is the error message. Use which C compiler? ./trygcc: line 10: cc: command not found Uh-oh, the C compiler 'cc' doesn't seem to be working. ./trygcc: line 25: gcc: command not found ./checkcc:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
11 Replies

10. HP-UX

Installing package

Hi, I need to use the tool "meminfo" in the server, however am not able to as it says the package is not found. I am also not able to find the package in the "HPUX Porting and Archive center". Please guide on how to install this package? Thanks, Aigini (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
yumdownloader(1)														  yumdownloader(1)

NAME
yumdownloader - download RPM packages from Yum repositories SYNOPSIS
yumdownloader [options] package1 [package2...] DESCRIPTION
yumdownloader is a program for downloading RPMs from Yum repositories. GENERAL OPTIONS
-h, --help Help; display a help message and then quit. --destdir DIR Specify a destination directory for the download. Defaults to the current directory. --urls Instead of downloading RPMs, list the URLs that would be downloaded. --resolve When downloading RPMs, resolve dependencies and also download the required packages. --source Instead of downloading the binary RPMs, download the source RPMs. --archlist=ARCH1[,ARCH2...] Limit the query to packages of given architecture(s). Valid values are all architectures known to rpm/yum such as 'i386' and 'src' for source RPMS. Note that repoquery will now change yum's "arch" to the first value in the archlist. So "--archlist=i386,i686" will change yum's canonical arch to i386, but allow packages of i386 and i686. ADDITIONAL OPTIONS
Yumdownloader inherits all other options from yum. See the yum(8) man page for more information EXAMPLES
Download the kernel RPM to /var/tmp: yumdownloader --destdir /var/tmp kernel List the URL for the kernel and kernel-smp RPMs: yumdownloader --urls kernel kernel-smp FILES
As yumdownloader uses YUM libraries for retrieving all the information, it relies on YUM configuration for its default values like which repositories to use. Consult YUM documentation for details: /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum/repos.d/ /var/cache/yum/ SEE ALSO
yum.conf (5) http://yum.baseurl.org/ AUTHORS
See the Authors file included with this program. BUGS
There are of course no bugs, but should you find any, you should first consult the FAQ section on http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/Faq and if unsuccessful in finding a resolution contact the mailing list: yum-devel@lists.baseurl.org. To file a bug use http://bugzilla.redhat.com for Fedora/RHEL/Centos related bugs and http://yum.baseurl.org/report for all other bugs. Gijs Hollestelle 28 November 2005 yumdownloader(1)