Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Update on vB3 Migration to Discourse - Issues and Status of BBCode Transformations Post 303045571 by Neo on Wednesday 1st of April 2020 11:14:35 PM
Old 04-02-2020
Today, armed with a new migration script vbulletin_neo7.rb I will start a migration from scratch on the staging server for the purposes of getting raw preprocessed posts from the postgres DB and uploading them to the community site; but first I will do this on the staging site, as follow:
  • Start a new migration from scratch using vbulletin_neo7.rb. This will take a few days.
  • Test some problematic posts and see if they migrated correctly ( tested this yesterday on a small scale, and it looked fine), if so:
  • Dump the raw posts from the postgres DB created above, along with the mapping table between the vb posts and the discourse posts.
  • Restore the staging server with the current community snapshot.
  • Move the raw from the new migration to the restored staging server DB.
  • Test.

Yesterday, I tested the migration script vbulletin_neo7.rb and it worked OK

@Scrutinizer is also working on some other bbcode migration enhancements which we will apply when he is ready to test (he has a full time job and family demands so no hurry or worry).

I want to create a new baseline without the broken ruby-bbcode-to-md plugin which our new vbulletin_neo7.rb script and new custom bbcode plugin, neo-discourse-bbcode which has a solid new ICODE bbcode tag working.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script migration issues

Hi All, We will be doing a Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 migration migration, just wanted to know if there are any known / common issues arise from this migration from Shell script point of view. I tried searching this site but mostly post are related to SA's question and jumpstart, etc. If there's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindcgi
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Migration - Compiler Issues.

All, We are migrating an application from HP-UX B.11.00 to HP-UX B.11.31 and both of them have the same informix version - 7.25se. However the compilers are different on both servers. HP-UX B.11.00 - has B3913DB C.03.33 HP aC++ Compiler (S800) HP-UX B.11.31 - has PHSS_40631 1.0 HP C/aC++... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: helper
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to track table status delete/update/insert status in DB2 V10 z/os?

Dear Team I am using DB2 v10 z/os database . Need expert guidance to figure out best way to track table activities ( Ex Delete, Insert,Update ) Scenario We have a table which is critical and many developer/testing team access on daily basis . We had instance where some deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Status of Migration of Moderation Systems

First a bit of history .... A number of years ago one of our admins built a number of plugin systems for moderation, including (1) a voting system, (2) a "user feelings" system and (3) a confidential posting system. During this time, I was busy on other projects, not very active in the forums,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

VBulletin 3.8 to Discourse on Docker Migration Test Take Two

OK. Like we all do, we learn a lot from tests, test migrations, and so forth. Today, I started from scratch on test migration 2, armed with a lot more knowledge, The main differences are as follows: Installed discourse plugin ruby-bbcode-to-md before starting the install Modified... (30 Replies)
30 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

VBulletin 3.8 to Discourse on Docker Migration Test Take Four

Test Build 4 on New Server, with changes identified in discourse test builds 2 and 3, primarily: Insuring ruby-bbcode-to-markdown is enabled. Removing line breaks from ICODE to markdown in migration script. Added vbpostid to posts in discourse to setup migrating vb "thanks" to discourse... (28 Replies)
28 Replies