Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Rm -rf unable to kill pid on AIX Post 303045488 by MadeInGermany on Friday 27th of March 2020 01:44:51 PM
Old 03-27-2020
Is
Code:
df /backup/Bckup_180320.tar &

giving a result?
If it hangs hard, then there is some serious trouble. Then do further diagnostics, e.g. check mounts with
Code:
mount | grep /backup

Not responding to kill -1 does not prove that it is a zombie.
It is a zombie when its state (S column) is Z in
Code:
ps -lfp 21758806

Also, most Unixes replace the process args name (CMD column) with the word "defunct".
When it is in D state it is in "device-waiting", not kill-able - but not a zombie.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass pid to kill using script

Hi there, i wonder if anyone can help is there any way that i can write a script that will kill all current ftp processes, for example if ps -ef | grep ftp produces 3 active proceses, then I would like to somehow extract the PID for each one and pass that to kill -9 has anybody done this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

KILL without PID

Hellow Experts i have one problem. i run one script in backgroun. and i want to kill that script with only script name..... so what's the solution.. for your info my script name is "testscript" n it contains "sleep 100" thanks.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckypower
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

When kill [pid] does not work...

Hi, On my Linux machine, using Bash, I sometimes run into a situation where doing the following does not seem to work at all. kermit@fastbox ~ $ ps -A | grep firefox-bin 5375 ? 00:06:57 firefox-bin <defunct> 5624 ? 00:00:00 firefox-bin kermit@fastbox ~ $ kill 5624... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kermit
7 Replies

5. AIX

kill -3 <PID> ... where the output file goes?

Hi all, I am generating the coredump of my JBoss, and by default it puts it in to a particular directory. i.e. JBOSS_HOME/. I would like this output file to be created, lets say in /tmp/dump/. I tried the following: kill -3 9404940>/tmp/dump/out.txt But it created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroon_a
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Kill process with dynamic PID?

Hello, I have problem with killing red5 process running on linux server. As this process is continuously changing its PID so it can't be killed with "kill -9 PID" command. First I used following command to list RED5 process ps aux | grep red5 which showed me root 5832 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Kill process with dynamic PID?

Hello, I have problem with killing red5 process running on linux server. As this process is continuously changing its PID so it can't be killed with "kill -9 PID" command. First I used following command to list RED5 process ps aux | grep red5 which showed me root 5832 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a PID using script

Hi, I wrote a script to kill a process id. I am able to kill the PID only if I enter the root password in the middle of the execution because I did not run as root i.e after i run the script from the terminal, instead of killing directly, it is killing only after entering the pass when it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumarme_1
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill PID with one liner

Hello Friends, I've been trying to write a one line which checks java processes and filter them for a user (testuser) and then check process arguments with PARGS command and then check if there is certain patterns exists in pargs output then kill the process. I have tried the following so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

10. AIX

Kill pid

I created a program to kill long running pid processes. I am getting the following error message: -f command cannot be found. I also want to count the number of pids that are killed and append the results to a text file. I am new to shell script programming. 1.The first part of code... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
10 Replies
KILL(1) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process SYNOPSIS
kill [ -s signal | -p ] [ -a ] [ -- ] pid ... kill -l [ signal ] DESCRIPTION
The command kill sends the specified signal to the specified process or process group. If no signal is specified, the TERM signal is sent. The TERM signal will kill processes which do not catch this signal. For other processes, it may be necessary to use the KILL (9) signal, since this signal cannot be caught. Most modern shells have a builtin kill function, with a usage rather similar to that of the command described here. The `-a' and `-p' options, and the possibility to specify pids by command name is a local extension. OPTIONS
pid... Specify the list of processes that kill should signal. Each pid can be one of five things: n where n is larger than 0. The process with pid n will be signaled. 0 All processes in the current process group are signaled. -1 All processes with pid larger than 1 will be signaled. -n where n is larger than 1. All processes in process group n are signaled. When an argument of the form `-n' is given, and it is meant to denote a process group, either the signal must be specified first, or the argument must be preceded by a `--' option, otherwise it will be taken as the signal to send. commandname All processes invoked using that name will be signaled. -s signal Specify the signal to send. The signal may be given as a signal name or number. -l Print a list of signal names. These are found in /usr/include/linux/signal.h -a Do not restrict the commandname-to-pid conversion to processes with the same uid as the present process. -p Specify that kill should only print the process id (pid) of the named processes, and not send any signals. SEE ALSO
bash(1), tcsh(1), kill(2), sigvec(2), signal(7) AUTHOR
Taken from BSD 4.4. The ability to translate process names to process ids was added by Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu>. Linux Utilities 14 October 1994 KILL(1)