Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Rm -rf unable to kill pid on AIX Post 303045480 by Neo on Friday 27th of March 2020 03:35:40 AM
Old 03-27-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohtashims
Any other solution apart from a reboot as this is production server?
If you search the forums, this question has been asked many times over the past 10 years.

The answer is always the same:
  1. The way to clear issue this is to reboot.
  2. There is no reason to worry about these zombie processes as they do not consume resources (memory, CPU).

Please use the search function here. It works great.
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass pid to kill using script

Hi there, i wonder if anyone can help is there any way that i can write a script that will kill all current ftp processes, for example if ps -ef | grep ftp produces 3 active proceses, then I would like to somehow extract the PID for each one and pass that to kill -9 has anybody done this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

KILL without PID

Hellow Experts i have one problem. i run one script in backgroun. and i want to kill that script with only script name..... so what's the solution.. for your info my script name is "testscript" n it contains "sleep 100" thanks.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckypower
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

When kill [pid] does not work...

Hi, On my Linux machine, using Bash, I sometimes run into a situation where doing the following does not seem to work at all. kermit@fastbox ~ $ ps -A | grep firefox-bin 5375 ? 00:06:57 firefox-bin <defunct> 5624 ? 00:00:00 firefox-bin kermit@fastbox ~ $ kill 5624... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kermit
7 Replies

5. AIX

kill -3 <PID> ... where the output file goes?

Hi all, I am generating the coredump of my JBoss, and by default it puts it in to a particular directory. i.e. JBOSS_HOME/. I would like this output file to be created, lets say in /tmp/dump/. I tried the following: kill -3 9404940>/tmp/dump/out.txt But it created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroon_a
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Kill process with dynamic PID?

Hello, I have problem with killing red5 process running on linux server. As this process is continuously changing its PID so it can't be killed with "kill -9 PID" command. First I used following command to list RED5 process ps aux | grep red5 which showed me root 5832 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Kill process with dynamic PID?

Hello, I have problem with killing red5 process running on linux server. As this process is continuously changing its PID so it can't be killed with "kill -9 PID" command. First I used following command to list RED5 process ps aux | grep red5 which showed me root 5832 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a PID using script

Hi, I wrote a script to kill a process id. I am able to kill the PID only if I enter the root password in the middle of the execution because I did not run as root i.e after i run the script from the terminal, instead of killing directly, it is killing only after entering the pass when it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumarme_1
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill PID with one liner

Hello Friends, I've been trying to write a one line which checks java processes and filter them for a user (testuser) and then check process arguments with PARGS command and then check if there is certain patterns exists in pargs output then kill the process. I have tried the following so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

10. AIX

Kill pid

I created a program to kill long running pid processes. I am getting the following error message: -f command cannot be found. I also want to count the number of pids that are killed and append the results to a text file. I am new to shell script programming. 1.The first part of code... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
10 Replies
LAST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   LAST(1)

NAME
last - indicate last logins of users and teletypes SYNOPSIS
last [ -f filename ] [ -N ] [ name ... ] [ tty ... ] DESCRIPTION
Last will look back in the wtmp file which records all logins and logouts for information about a user, a teletype or any group of users and teletypes. Arguments specify names of users or teletypes of interest. Names of teletypes may be given fully or abbreviated. For example `last 0' is the same as `last tty0'. If multiple arguments are given, the information which applies to any of the arguments is printed. For example `last root console' would list all of "root's" sessions as well as all sessions on the console terminal. Last will print the sessions of the specified users and teletypes, most recent first, indicating the times at which the session began, the duration of the session, and the teletype which the session took place on. If the session is still continuing or was cut short by a reboot, last so indicates. The pseudo-user reboot logs in at reboots of the system, thus last reboot will give an indication of mean time between reboot. Last with no arguments prints a record of all logins and logouts, in reverse order. The -f filename option allows the user to examine an alternate wtmp file. The -N option limits the report to N lines. If last is interrupted, it indicates how far the search has progressed in wtmp. If interrupted with a quit signal (generated by a con- trol-) last indicates how far the search has progressed so far, and the search continues. FILES
/usr/adm/wtmp login data base /usr/adm/shutdownlog which records shutdowns and reasons for same SEE ALSO
wtmp(5), ac(8), lastcomm(1) AUTHOR
Howard Katseff 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 LAST(1)