Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to periodically monitor a process's memory usage Post 303045318 by james101 on Monday 16th of March 2020 03:29:49 PM
Old 03-16-2020
thanks for the advice it worked now after some tests I have come to write this code
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo python3 main.py &
sleep 5
pidlist=$(pidof python3 main.py)
echo "$pidlist"
read FIRST __ <<< "$pidlist"
echo "$FIRST"
mem=$(ps -p "$FIRST" -o %mem)
echo "$mem"
set -- $mem
memory="$2"
while true;
do
  sleep 2
  echo "$memory"
  if (( $(echo "${memory} > 20.0" | bc) )); then
    echo "killing process"
    sudo kill "$FIRST"
    break
  fi
  sleep 2
done

I can correctly take the right pid of the process I would like to kill, but the sudo kill "$ FIRST" command does not seem to work and upon exiting the script, typing htop on the console, the process is still alive.
Also if I type sudo kill #pid directly on the console this command works and kills the process

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory usage of a process

hi all, i want to write a script that checks the memory usage of processes and send a mail with the name of the process witch is using more then 300mb RAM. dose anybody have a sample script or an idea how i can make it ? PROCCESSES="snmpd sendmail" for myVar in $PROCCESSES do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
7 Replies

3. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitor Memory of a process

Hi, I need to monitor the memory usage of a particular process continuously. As of now I am using the following command: ps -fu <user name> -o pid,comm,vsz | grep <process_name> | grep -v grep The output of this command gives me what i need except i want the output to keep getting updated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: archana485
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How often should I monitor the CPU and memory usage ?

Hi all, When you monitor the CPU and memory usage, how often do you do it ? Do it too often or too rarely will both cause the problem. So does anyone have hand-on experience ? And for my case, the requirement says that when CPU usage is above X% or memory usage is above Y%, I should reject... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
5 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to monitor a process memory utilization?

hi frnds, I want to monitor a particular process very closly on how much memory it is taking. i tried with TOP and PRSTAT commands that is not giving what exactly i need. In my application, there is a memory leak happening, i want to know when it is occuering, means which transcation is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory Usage Monitor on Linux/SunOS Servers

ok, so i'm trying to write a shell script (not perl) that monitors memory usage on a server. but i'm confused as to what fields exactly determines that yes, memory is low on a particular server. it sounds simple enough, but it really isn't. what do I look for in the field below? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What to monitor for memory usage?

hi guys I am having a doubt about memory monitoring on linux system what I should be monitoring? memory usage? o swap usage? I am using some monitoring tools but I am confused to what monitor for alerting for example this case looks the memory usage is very high and it's like that all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for logging cpu and memory usage of a Linux process

I am looking for a way to log and graphically display cpu and RAM usage of linux processes over time. Since I couldn't find a simple tool to so (I tried zabbix and munin but installation failed) I started writing a shell script to do so The script file parses the output of top command through... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy_dufresne
2 Replies
DH_PYTHON3(1)							   User Commands						     DH_PYTHON3(1)

NAME
dh_python3 - calculates Python 3 dependencies, adds maintainer scripts to byte compile files, etc. SYNOPSIS
dh_python3 -p PACKAGE [-V [X.Y][-][A.B]] DIR_OR_FILE [-X REGEXPR] OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit --no-guessing-deps disable guessing dependencies --no-dbg-cleaning do not remove any files from debug packages --skip-private don't check private directories -v, --verbose turn verbose mode on -i, --indep act on architecture independent packages -a, --arch act on architecture dependent packages -q, --quiet be quiet -p PACKAGE, --package=PACKAGE act on the package named PACKAGE -N NO_PACKAGE, --no-package=NO_PACKAGE do not act on the specified package -V VRANGE specify list of supported Python versions. See py3compile(1) for examples -X REGEXPR, --exclude=REGEXPR exclude items that match given REGEXPR. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. --compile-all compile all files from given private directory in postinst/rtupdate not just the ones provided by the package (i.e. do not pass the --package parameter to py3compile/py3clean) --depends=DEPENDS translate given requirements into Debian dependencies and add them to ${python:Depends}. Use it for missing items in requires.txt. --recommends=RECOMMENDS translate given requirements into Debian dependencies and add them to ${python:Recommends} --suggests=SUGGESTS translate given requirements into Debian dependencies and add them to ${python:Suggests} SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/python3-doc/README.PyDist (python3-doc package) dh_python3 3.0~beta2 September 2010 DH_PYTHON3(1)