Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Trouble with setting permissions and such Post 303045144 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 12th of March 2020 02:40:30 PM
Old 03-12-2020
604 permission means
r+w for owner, nothing for group, w for others!
This is very unsafe: others may alter the file!
Check with "ls -l filename".

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting permissions

I've been told I need to set the permissions for everything in the htdocs folder to 777, but how do I go about doing this? Thanks:o (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
9 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Permissions trouble with WebDav

Hello! I need some advice about using WebDav in Mac OS 10.5 My problem is that I mount a WebDav folder in the hard drive pointing to a webdav directory service running under apache (it's Alfresco, if you know it) but the permissions of this directory, when mounted, are only for the user who... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: osksp
0 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

SVN user permissions trouble

I am trying to add a user to my SVN server that can only access one of about a dozen repositories I have set up. Here are the files that I think need changed and what I have set them to. No matter what I try with these files I am unable to see the results I am after. In the end I want this new... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: benn600
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Trouble setting up a static IP on NetGear DGN1000

I have been trying to setup a static ip, however everytime I do so my internet disconnects and won't connect untill I switch back to dynamic. My router is a NetGear DGN1000 and I'm using it wired. Could anyone help? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomigosh
0 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Trouble setting up Java classpath

Saw an error while setting up an application called i2phex: # ./run.sh java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to initialize phex.net.repres.i2p.I2PPresentationManager at phex.common.ManagerController.initializeManagers(ManagerController.java:78) at phex.Main.main(Main.java:161)After... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Israel213
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble Setting Up Sun Ultra 10 - Displaying Garbage

Hello there, I am new to this forum as well as to the UNIX world. Recently graduated with a degree in Computing and just started learning UNIX & bought 3 Sun Ultra 10 Servers. I was trying to set the Servers up so I can use them; the Servers don't have a VGA card. My laptop, which I would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhan2u
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble setting up flag ( getopt) for my script

do case $option in d ) CHEC=true;; # more option processing can go here \? ) echo "Unknown option: -$OPTARG" : ) echo "Missing option argument for -$OPTARG";; * ) echo "Unimplimented option: -$OPTARG";; esac done shift $(($OPTIND - 1)) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: upenmishra
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble setting up a shared folder

I'm trying to set up a folder in my home directory that will be shared with another user but for some reason it is not working this is what I've done, I have tried two different ways using ACL's and chown/chgrp etc I set up a group called say: sharedgroup and added both my user (john) and fred... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14952john
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with setting a variable with vastool

Hi I have this command that when put on the command line it returns the output the way I want it. /opt/quest/bin/vastool list -a groups | grep testdev_li | grep dev | awk -F"" 'NF>2{print $2}' | cut -c2- | tr '\n' '|' The output of this is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
2 Replies
getacl(1)						      General Commands Manual							 getacl(1)

NAME
getacl - list access control lists (ACLs) for files (JFS File Systems only) SYNOPSIS
file... DESCRIPTION
For each argument that is a regular file, special file, or named pipe, displays the owner, group, and the Access Control List (ACL). For each directory argument, displays the owner, group, and the ACL and/or the default ACL. Only directories contain default ACLs. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the file will be displayed. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists, will be displayed. With options not specified, the filename, owner, group, and both the ACL, and the default ACL, if it exists, will be displayed. This command may be executed on a file system that does not support ACLs. It will report the ACL consisting of only the owning user, own- ing group, class and other entries, based on the permission bits. When multiple files are specified on the command line, a blank line will separate the ACL for each file. Options The command recognizes the following options: Displays the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the specified file. Displays the the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists. Operands The command recognizes the following operand: file The file or directory from which retrieves the access control information. ACL Format The format of an ACL is: The first three lines show the filename, the file owner, and the file owning group. Note that when only the option is specified, and the file has no default ACL, only these three lines will be displayed. The entry without a user ID indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owner of the file. One or more additional entries indi- cate the permissions that will be granted to the specified users. The entry without a group identifier indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owning group of the file. One or more additional entries indicate the permissions that will be granted to the specified groups. The entry indicates the permissions that will be granted to others. The entries and may only exist for directories, and indicate the default user, group, and other entries that will be added to a file cre- ated within the directory. The uid is a login name, or a user ID if there is no entry for the uid in the system's password file; gid is a group name, or a group ID if there is no entry for the gid in the system's group file; and perm is a three character string composed of the letters representing the separate discretionary access rights: (read), (write), (execute/search), or the placeholder character The perm will be displayed in the following order: If a permission is not granted by an ACL entry, the placeholder character will appear. The ACL entries will be displayed in the order in which they will be evaluated when an access check is performed. The default ACL entries that may exist on a directory have no effect on access checks. The file owner permission bits represent the access that the owning user ACL entry has. The file group class permission bits represent the most access that any additional user entry, additional group entry, or the owning group entry may grant. The file other permission bits represent the access that the other ACL entry has. If a user invokes the command and changes the file group class permission bits, the access granted by the additional ACL entries may be restricted. In order to indicate that the file group class permission bits restrict an ACL entry, will display, after each affected entry, text in the form , where perm will show only the permissions actually granted. EXAMPLES
Given file with an ACL six entries long, the command would print: Given file with an ACL six entries long, after the command was issued, the command would print: Given directory with an ACL containing default entries, the command would print: Given directory the command would print: NOTICES
The output from will be in the correct format for input to the command. If the output from is redirected to a file, the file may be used as input to In this way, a user may easily assign one file's ACL to another file. FILES
for user IDs for group IDs SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ls(1), setacl(1). acl(2), aclsort(3C). getacl(1)