Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Custom exit message according to flag Post 303045136 by da1 on Thursday 12th of March 2020 12:39:24 PM
Old 03-12-2020
Custom exit message according to flag

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a script that uses curl's to check internet connectivity with and without a proxy being specified.
Basically what I'd like to achieve is having the script output fail or success according to the "method" used (direct or via proxy).

A very ugly way of doing it:
Code:
 # "curl_args" contains "-x $2" and gets set if $2 exists
curl ${curl_args} "$1" &> /dev/null

if [ $? == 0 ]; then
   if [ "$#" == 1 ]; then
      printf "OK - able to connect to $1\n"
      exit 0
   elif [ "$#" == 2 ]; then
      printf "OK - able to connect to $1 from $2\n"
      exit 0
   fi
else
   if [ "$#" == 1 ]; then
      printf "CRITICAL - unable to connect to $1\n"
      exit 1
   elif [ "$#" == 2 ]; then
      printf "CRITICAL - unable to connect to $1 from $2\n"
      exit 1
   fi

The script expects 2x arguments. The first one is the URL and the second one is the proxy address.

Whats a more dynamic way of writing that ugly if statement?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant get the right exit message

#!/bin/ksh application task run command //returns 0 if successful if ; then echo "Ran Fine" else echo "Didnt run" fi When I run the script, here is the output Status code = 0 ksh: [0: not found. Job didnt run any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
4 Replies

3. Programming

How to limit max no of message in a posix message queue

Hii can anyone pls tell how to limit the max no of message in a posix message queue. I have made changes in proc/sys/fs/mqueue/msg_max But still whenever i try to read the value of max. message in the queue using attr.mq_curmsgs (where struct mq_attr attr) its giving the default value as 10.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

4. AIX

du flag -x

Hi, I would like to know if there's any option to use with the du command so that I can list only the files/directories on the current filesystem... I usually use du -gs *But I'd like to see only the directories in the filesystem I am on, and not the mount point directory of other fss... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Casey
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing all lines before a specific string and a custom message 2 lines after

Hello all, I need to print all the lines before a specific string and print a custom message 2 lines after that. So far I have managed to print everything up the string, inclusively, but I can't figure out how to print the 2 lines after that and the custom message. My code thus far is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SEinT
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'h' flag in du

Hey, all! Why is the "human readable" flag changing the behavior of du? And while I'm at it, can you make du only look at files, not directories. I often find myself wanting to find the largest file(s) in a dir or vol. Using 'find' itself, it seems you have to at least be able to guess the size of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the difference between exit 1 & exit 7

Hi In one of the script I am seeing some thing like exit 7,exit 1,exit 2,exit 3,exit 9,exit6.What is the difference between all of this exit.Can anyone help here please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get the id with specify flag

.... means multi line ddd,bug fgdrg dfdfsdfdfsd fsdfdfdfd fdfdsfdsfsd ....... flag2 ...... aaa,bug sfsfsfsfs dfdfsdfdfsd fsdfdfdfd fdfdsfdsfsd ...... flag1 ...... ddd,bug fgdrg dfdfsdfdfsd (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to supress error message with custom text

After a bash function is run the below file is produced: out_name.txt tab-delimeted Input Errors and warnings AccNo Genesymbol Variant Reference Sequence Start Descr. Coding DNA Descr. Protein Descr. GeneSymbol Coding DNA Descr. GeneSymbol Protein Descr. Genomic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

Insmod custom module fails with message : disagrees about version of symbol ...

Hello : I want to make a netfilter conntrack module for myself. So I copy all the source code about netfilter conntrack from kernel source tree to my external directory. It can be insmod after compiled. Then I add some members to the struct nf_conn, and it 's compiled successfully. However, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 915086731
1 Replies
PPPOE-CONNECT(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  PPPOE-CONNECT(8)

NAME
pppoe-connect - Shell script to manage a PPPoE link SYNOPSIS
pppoe-connect [config_file] pppoe-connect interface user [config_file] DESCRIPTION
pppoe-connect is a shell script which manages a PPPoE connection using the Roaring Penguin user-space PPPoE client. If you omit con- fig_file, the default file /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf is used. If you supply interface and user, then they override the Ethernet interface and user-name settings in the configuration file. Note that normally, you should not invoke pppoe-connect directly. Instead, use pppoe-start to bring up the PPPoE connection. pppoe-connect first reads a configuration file. It then brings up a PPPoE connection. If the connection ever drops, a message is logged to syslog, and pppoe-connect re-establishes the connection. In addition, each time the connection is dropped or cannot be established, pppoe-connect executes the script /etc/ppp/pppoe-lost if it exists and is executable. The shell script pppoe-stop causes pppoe-connect to break out of its loop, bring the connection down, and exit. TECHNICAL DETAILS
pppoe-connect uses the following shell variables from the configuration file: ETH The Ethernet interface connected to the DSL modem (for example, eth0). USER The PPPoE user-id (for example, b1xxnxnx@sympatico.ca). PIDFILE A file in which to write the process-ID of the pppoe-connect process (for example, /var/run/pppoe.pid). Two additional files ($PID- FILE.pppd and $PIDFILE.pppoe) hold the process-ID's of the pppd and pppoe processes, respectively. By using different configuration files with different PIDFILE settings, you can manage multiple PPPoE connections. Just specify the con- figuration file as an argument to pppoe-start and pppoe-stop. AUTHOR
pppoe-connect was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe(8), pppoe-start(8), pppoe-stop(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), pppoe-setup(8), pppoe-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe-server(8), pppoe- relay(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 21 February 2000 PPPOE-CONNECT(8)