Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Trouble with setting permissions and such Post 303045125 by vbe on Thursday 12th of March 2020 09:49:51 AM
Old 03-12-2020
Quote:
Set permissions on /etc/group to allow root read and write access, and allow everyone else read access only.
What you did is give read permission to all except those in the group as the one set to this file...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting permissions

I've been told I need to set the permissions for everything in the htdocs folder to 777, but how do I go about doing this? Thanks:o (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
9 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Permissions trouble with WebDav

Hello! I need some advice about using WebDav in Mac OS 10.5 My problem is that I mount a WebDav folder in the hard drive pointing to a webdav directory service running under apache (it's Alfresco, if you know it) but the permissions of this directory, when mounted, are only for the user who... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: osksp
0 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

SVN user permissions trouble

I am trying to add a user to my SVN server that can only access one of about a dozen repositories I have set up. Here are the files that I think need changed and what I have set them to. No matter what I try with these files I am unable to see the results I am after. In the end I want this new... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: benn600
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Trouble setting up a static IP on NetGear DGN1000

I have been trying to setup a static ip, however everytime I do so my internet disconnects and won't connect untill I switch back to dynamic. My router is a NetGear DGN1000 and I'm using it wired. Could anyone help? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomigosh
0 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Trouble setting up Java classpath

Saw an error while setting up an application called i2phex: # ./run.sh java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to initialize phex.net.repres.i2p.I2PPresentationManager at phex.common.ManagerController.initializeManagers(ManagerController.java:78) at phex.Main.main(Main.java:161)After... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Israel213
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble Setting Up Sun Ultra 10 - Displaying Garbage

Hello there, I am new to this forum as well as to the UNIX world. Recently graduated with a degree in Computing and just started learning UNIX & bought 3 Sun Ultra 10 Servers. I was trying to set the Servers up so I can use them; the Servers don't have a VGA card. My laptop, which I would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhan2u
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble setting up flag ( getopt) for my script

do case $option in d ) CHEC=true;; # more option processing can go here \? ) echo "Unknown option: -$OPTARG" : ) echo "Missing option argument for -$OPTARG";; * ) echo "Unimplimented option: -$OPTARG";; esac done shift $(($OPTIND - 1)) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: upenmishra
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble setting up a shared folder

I'm trying to set up a folder in my home directory that will be shared with another user but for some reason it is not working this is what I've done, I have tried two different ways using ACL's and chown/chgrp etc I set up a group called say: sharedgroup and added both my user (john) and fred... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14952john
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with setting a variable with vastool

Hi I have this command that when put on the command line it returns the output the way I want it. /opt/quest/bin/vastool list -a groups | grep testdev_li | grep dev | awk -F"" 'NF>2{print $2}' | cut -c2- | tr '\n' '|' The output of this is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
2 Replies
ACCESS(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 ACCESS(2)

NAME
access -- check access permissions of a file or pathname LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int access(const char *path, int mode); DESCRIPTION
The access() function checks the accessibility of the file named by path for the access permissions indicated by mode. The value of mode is the bitwise inclusive OR of the access permissions to be checked (R_OK for read permission, W_OK for write permission and X_OK for exe- cute/search permission) or the existence test, F_OK. All components of the pathname path are checked for access permissions (including F_OK). The real user ID is used in place of the effective user ID and the real group access list (including the real group ID) are used in place of the effective ID for verifying permission. If a process has super-user privileges and indicates success for R_OK or W_OK, the file may not actually have read or write permission bits set. If a process has super-user privileges and indicates success for X_OK, at least one of the user, group, or other execute bits is set. (However, the file may still not be executable. See execve(2).) RETURN VALUES
If path cannot be found or if any of the desired access modes would not be granted, then a -1 value is returned; otherwise a 0 value is returned. ERRORS
Access to the file is denied if: [EACCES] Permission bits of the file mode do not permit the requested access, or search permission is denied on a component of the path prefix. The owner of a file has permission checked with respect to the ``owner'' read, write, and execute mode bits, members of the file's group other than the owner have permission checked with respect to the ``group'' mode bits, and all others have permissions checked with respect to the ``other'' mode bits. [EFAULT] path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [EROFS] Write access is requested for a file on a read-only file system. [ETXTBSY] Write access is requested for a pure procedure (shared text) file presently being executed. SEE ALSO
chmod(2), execve(2), stat(2), secure_path(3) STANDARDS
The access() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
The access() system call is a potential security hole due to race conditions. It should never be used. Set-user-ID and set-group-ID appli- cations should restore the effective user or group ID, and perform actions directly rather than use access() to simulate access checks for the real user or group ID. The access() system call may however have some value in providing clues to users as to whether certain operations make sense for a particular filesystem object. Arguably it also allows a cheaper file existence test than stat(2). BSD
May 3, 2010 BSD