Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Creating values based on position Post 303044982 by wisecracker on Tuesday 10th of March 2020 06:30:46 AM
Old 03-10-2020
The usual questions:

Which OS are you using?
What are your preferred tools/utilities/shells/languages?

And most of all what have you tried?
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spliting the line based on position.

i want to split a big line based on the position. example : I have a single line which has 2300 characters. i want to split from 1 character to 300th characters as first line and 301th to 600 as second line and 601th to 900 as third line ...till the end of the string. Can anyone help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get lines with multiple values at a position

Hi, I have a file like below: ABC,1001,DEFG,40000 AVD,2002,FGRG,3000 DBF,2002,HDGD,3454 GDF,4564,GRTR,5656 GDF,4659,GGTD,10002 .... ..... I have to get all the lines which contains 2002 and 4659 at the second position. Please help. The output file will be like: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Relace text based on position

Hi, I have a file with data like below a}hasksd09090}kdkdkd aksdkdkdk787}08ksapodd asl}alks13233}dsjskdkd I need to replace any '}' to 0 if it appears in 10 to 15 postions.If } appears in any other postion I need to leave it. So for the above data , output should be a}hasksd090900kdkdkd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dncs
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pick values from column based on key values by usin AWK

Dear Guyz:) I have 2 different input files like this. I would like to pick the values or letters from the inputfile2 based on inputfile1 keys (A,F,N,X,Z). I have done similar task by using awk but in that case the inputfiles are similar like in inputfile2 (all keys in 1st column and values in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace based on an exact position

Trying to use sed - but having no luck. I have a text file - I want to replace whatever character is in position 106, 157 and 237 w/ the string "xxx". Want this change for all lines w/in that text file. I'm open to using awk or whatever command would be best for replacing characters based... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on position

The file has record length 200. And i have 100 search strings which are ten digits of character from 1 to 10 characters all of them are unique, they need to searched in a file. Please help me to pull the records based on position (say from 1-10). test data 1FAHP2DW0BG115206RASHEED ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
6 Replies

7. Programming

C program - convert values based on the position

Hey! I'm new to C. I need to covert certain values using C. please see the below. I have figured out the logic to do it. Please provide some hints to do this with C Logic: If first position of POS = 0, shift POS to the left one byte. If third position of POS = 0, move spaces to third... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker_me2002
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate a csv files by separating the values from the input file based on position?

Hi All, I need help for doing the following. I have a input file like: aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccbbbbbaaaaaadddddaaaabbbbbbb now I am trying to generate a output csv file where i will have for e.g. 0-3 chars of each line as the first column in the csv, 4-10 chars of the line as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and count unique date values in a file based on position

Hello, I need some sort of way to extract every date contained in a file, and count how many of those dates there are. Here are the specifics: The date format I'm looking for is mm/dd/yyyy I only need to look after line 45 in the file (that's where the data begins) The columns of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronan1219
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies
doctoc_lang_faq(3tcl)						Documentation tools					     doctoc_lang_faq(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
doctoc_lang_faq - doctoc language faq DESCRIPTION
OVERVIEW
WHAT IS THIS DOCUMENT? This document is currently mainly a placeholder, to be filled with commonly asked questions about the doctoc markup language and compan- ions, and their answers. Please report any questions (and, if possible, answers) we should consider for this document in the category doctools of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. EXAMPLES
WHERE DO I FIND DOCTOC EXAMPLES? We have no direct examples of documents written using doctoc markup. However the doctools processor dtplite does generate a table of con- tents when processing a set of documents written in doctools markup. The intermediate file for it uses doctoc markup and is not deleted when generation completes. Such files can therefore serve as examples. dtplite is distributed as part of Tcllib, so to get it you need one of [1] A CVS snapshot of Tcllib. How to retrieve such a snapshot and the tools required for this are described at http://source- forge.net/cvs/?group_id=12883 [2] A Tcllib release archive. They are available at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12883 BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report any such in the category doctools of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either the package and/or the documentation. SEE ALSO
doctoc_lang_cmdref, doctoc_lang_intro, doctoc_lang_syntax KEYWORDS
doctoc commands, doctoc language, doctoc markup, doctoc syntax, examples, faq, markup, semantic markup CATEGORY
Documentation tools COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> doctools 1.0 doctoc_lang_faq(3tcl)