Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX: Executing command using variable Post 303044940 by vgersh99 on Monday 9th of March 2020 10:44:34 AM
Old 03-09-2020
or better yet /tmp/a.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
while IFS=, read f1 f2 junk
do
   eval "$f2"
done < /tmp/a.txt

Code:
$ /tmp/a.sh
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
C:/cygwin64     236G   98G  139G  42% /

OR (without the eval):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
while IFS=, read f1 f2 junk
do
   echo "$f2"
done < /tmp/a.txt | bash

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing UNIX command from java on NT

Hi - I am totally new to UNIX so please bear with me... I run a java program on Win NT server to do file ftp to UNIX server. I log in, cd, create ftp file on UNIX and quit from my java progam - all works well. Now I want to execute a script on UNIX. At the UNIX 'console'/'shell' (!?) you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CJ Walt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking every variable and executing the command

Hi, I am trying to export some 50 tables and i want to write a loop and execute the script for every table. I did for one table and its running. Can any one help me for setting a loop and running the script for all the tables thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srichunduru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing *.bat file on windows from Unix box via ftp command

I have created get_list.bat file containing following line: dir /B /O-d >file_list.txt I am executing ftp command from Unix box and transferring get_list.bat file to windows server. In my next ftp command I am trying to execute this test.bat file by entering this line: get_list or by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alx
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a unix command

Hi, I need to execute the following unix command through my java code - zip -e When i execute this command from the command prompt, i am prompted for a password in the following manner - Enter password: Verify password: Is it possible to provide the password inthe first command itself... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob23
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix script for repeating a command with a variable

Hi need urgent help , for creating unix script . To collect system name,This is command i want to execute n (integer) no. of times for for a differnt IP addresses .IP is variable in every execution. Other string & collecter name is constant . snmpGet %IP% sysName.0 -c <string> -S <datacollecter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: langdatyagi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable - unix command

I want to just run this command from a bash script and put it in variable. date '+%M' gives the minutes in solaris. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke unix variable in SED command

Hi, I am trying tio invoke unix variable in a sed command like below, but it seems to be failing.. a=1 sed -n '$a,$p' file.txt ### Failing but a=1 sed -n '1,$p' files.txt ### Works fine Please help me to fix this... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjayraghavan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a variable that strores a unix command string

Hi: I have a touble with executing a variable that stores a unix command string. The following would be excuted fine: command='ls -l' `echo $command` However, the following gives me an error: command='(uuencode file1 file1; uuencode file2 file2) | mailx email_id' `echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagewise
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error executing sqlcmd command through UNIX

Hi All, I am trying to execute a set of sql statements in sql server 2008 using the sqlcmd command in unix and passing the query in the "input" parameter. It is giving me an error "incorrect syntax near 2014". The below statement is giving an error : declare date_val datetime, ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul Raj
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find IP of user machine executing a particular UNIX command?

Hello, Our applications are deployed in SunOS 5.10 servers. All the team members use a same username/pwd to login to the box. Very often we face issue were we could see that weblogic server instance are KILLED and we are not able to trace who executed kill command. All team members use PUTTY to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santtarius
2 Replies
standards(5)							File Formats Manual						      standards(5)

NAME
standards - UNIX standards behavior on HP-UX DESCRIPTION
HP-UX conforms to various UNIX standards. In some cases, these standards conflict. This manpage describes the methods that programmers and users must follow to have an application conform and execute according to a particular UNIX standard. UNIX Standard Conformant Programmer Environment The following table lists feature test macros and environment variables that must be defined while compiling an application. Both a fea- ture test macro and an environment variable must be defined while compiling the application so that the application conforms and executes according to a particular UNIX standard. Otherwise, the behavior is undefined. Standard Feature Test Macros to be Environment variable defined during compilation to be set UNIX 95 _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 UNIX95 or UNIX_STD=95 or UNIX_STD=1995 UNIX 2003 _XOPEN_SOURCE=600 UNIX_STD=2003 The compiler uses the feature test macros to obtain the appropriate namespace from the header files. The compiler uses the environment variable to link in an appropriate object file to the executable. Using the environment variable customizes libc to match UNIX standards for various functions. If an application has already been compiled for default HP-UX behavior or for one particular standard, and needs to change to a particular UNIX standard behavior, recompile the application as specified in the above table. For an HP-UX command to conform to a particular UNIX standard behavior, the application has to set the corresponding environment variable as specified in the above table before executing that command. UNIX Standard Conformant User Environment To enable a particular UNIX standard conformant user environment, set the corresponding environment variable as defined in the above table. EXAMPLES
The following examples shows an application example. To have the system be conformant to UNIX2003 behavior, set the environment variable to and define the feature test macro before compilation. The following example changes the command to have UNIX95 behavior by setting one of the environment variables to or to before executing that command. There are three ways of setting the environment variable for UNIX95: or or SEE ALSO
cc(1), stdsyms(5). standards(5)