Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Using variables to copy files with increasing numerical names. Post 303044900 by Jovec on Sunday 8th of March 2020 10:04:10 AM
Old 03-08-2020
Using variables to copy files with increasing numerical names.

Hello, I have been learning Linux shell commands for about 4 months now. I am trying to write a simple shell script, but I have encountered an issue I do not understand the cause of.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

first=1
last=10

cp path/to/files/{$first..$last}.dat ./

When I run my script I get an error.
[user@x dir]$ ./myscript.sh
cp: cannot stat `path/to/file/{1..2}.dat': No such file or directory
[user@x dir]$

However when I run it without variables.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

cp path/to/files/{1..10}.dat ./

Running script without variables.
[user@x dir]$ ./myscript.sh

It copies the ten *.dat files from the path/to/files to the directory of myscript.sh. How can I get the script working with variables? Thanks in advance for any help given.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy files with invalid names

Hi all, I have to copy a directory to another location. While doing so with the cp command I got some errors due to invalid filenames of some files. For example, some files have a colon in their names, which is throwing error. These files are not copied to the destination. How to copy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fermisoft
1 Replies

2. Programming

Adding files of numerical data

Hi I was hoping that maybe someone could help me with a small piece of C code. I have a number of files, which are all of similar layout ie. three lines of text and 5-6 columns of numerical data. I need to add each of the elements of the second column in one file to their counterparts in the second... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boucho
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files by numerical value

Hi everyone, I would love to have a script that does the following: I have one file that looks like that: ATOM 1 BB SER 1 1 -31.958 -25.125 -11.061 1.00 0.00 ATOM 3 BB GLY 1 2 -32.079 -26.085 -14.466 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4 BB VAL 1 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s-layer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name?

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
31 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding File Names Ending In 3 Random Numerical Characters

Hi, I have a series of files (upwards of 500) the filename format is as follows CC10-1234P1999.WGS84.p190 each of this files is in a directory named for the file but excluding the extension. Now the last three numeric characters, in this case 999, can be anything from 001 to 999, I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roche.j.mike
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files according to the numerical value

Hi, I have a large number of files which are named as follows. VF_50, VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_500. When I do an 'ls' it arranges the files in the following way VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_50, VF_500. Is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting particular files with a numerical suffix

Hello I have a directory with a list of files which have a particular numerical suffix. E.g filename_0 filename_1 filename_18500 filename_10000 I want to delete all files from this directory which have a filename which have a numerical suffix greater than 10540. So any files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamal_p_99
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create files with two or more variables in its names?

Hi all, Iam writing a perl script to create many files with variables in their name. i am able to do it, if iam using only one variable. But with two variables the file names are NOT getting generated in the way i want. plz help me out. 1. open(SHW,">divw_unsigned_50_50_$k.reset") or die... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
4 Replies
newgrp(1)						      General Commands Manual							 newgrp(1)

NAME
newgrp - switch to a new group SYNOPSIS
[group] DESCRIPTION
The command changes your group ID without changing your user ID and replaces your current shell with a new one. If you specify group, the change is successful if group exists and either your user ID is a member of the new group, or group has a pass- word and you can supply it from the terminal. If you omit group, changes to the group specified in your entry in the password file, Whether the group is changed successfully or not, or the new group is the same as the old one or not, proceeds to replace your current shell with the one specified in the shell field of your password file entry. If that field is empty, uses the POSIX shell, (see sh- posix(1)). If you specify (hyphen) as the first argument, the new shell starts up as if you had just logged in. If you omit the new shell starts up as if you had invoked it as a subshell. You remain logged in and the current directory is unchanged, but calculations of access permissions to files are performed with respect to the new real and effective group IDs. Exported variables retain their values and are passed to the new shell. All unexported variables are deleted, but the new shell may reset them to default values. Since the current process is replaced when the new shell is started, exiting from the new shell has the same effect as exiting from the shell in which was executed. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Characters from the 7-bit USASCII code set are supported in group names (see ascii(5)). DIAGNOSTICS
The command issues the following error messages: Your user ID does not qualify as a group member. The group name does not exist in If a password is required, it must come from a terminal. Standard input is not a terminal file, causing the new shell to fail. EXAMPLES
To change from your current group to group without executing the login routines: To change from your current group to group and execute the login routines: WARNINGS
There is no convenient way to enter a password into The use of group passwords is not recommended because, by their very nature, they encourage poor security practices. Group passwords may be eliminated in future HP-UX releases. If the specified group to has multiple inconsistent entries (i.e. the group id or/and password are different) in the group database, will consider the group id and password of the first matched group entry as the correct group id and password for the group. FILES
System group file System password file SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), login(1), sh-posix(1), group(4), passwd(4), environ(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
newgrp(1)