Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Using variables to copy files with increasing numerical names. Post 303044900 by Jovec on Sunday 8th of March 2020 10:04:10 AM
Old 03-08-2020
Using variables to copy files with increasing numerical names.

Hello, I have been learning Linux shell commands for about 4 months now. I am trying to write a simple shell script, but I have encountered an issue I do not understand the cause of.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

first=1
last=10

cp path/to/files/{$first..$last}.dat ./

When I run my script I get an error.
[user@x dir]$ ./myscript.sh
cp: cannot stat `path/to/file/{1..2}.dat': No such file or directory
[user@x dir]$

However when I run it without variables.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

cp path/to/files/{1..10}.dat ./

Running script without variables.
[user@x dir]$ ./myscript.sh

It copies the ten *.dat files from the path/to/files to the directory of myscript.sh. How can I get the script working with variables? Thanks in advance for any help given.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy files with invalid names

Hi all, I have to copy a directory to another location. While doing so with the cp command I got some errors due to invalid filenames of some files. For example, some files have a colon in their names, which is throwing error. These files are not copied to the destination. How to copy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fermisoft
1 Replies

2. Programming

Adding files of numerical data

Hi I was hoping that maybe someone could help me with a small piece of C code. I have a number of files, which are all of similar layout ie. three lines of text and 5-6 columns of numerical data. I need to add each of the elements of the second column in one file to their counterparts in the second... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boucho
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files by numerical value

Hi everyone, I would love to have a script that does the following: I have one file that looks like that: ATOM 1 BB SER 1 1 -31.958 -25.125 -11.061 1.00 0.00 ATOM 3 BB GLY 1 2 -32.079 -26.085 -14.466 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4 BB VAL 1 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s-layer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name?

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
31 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding File Names Ending In 3 Random Numerical Characters

Hi, I have a series of files (upwards of 500) the filename format is as follows CC10-1234P1999.WGS84.p190 each of this files is in a directory named for the file but excluding the extension. Now the last three numeric characters, in this case 999, can be anything from 001 to 999, I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roche.j.mike
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files according to the numerical value

Hi, I have a large number of files which are named as follows. VF_50, VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_500. When I do an 'ls' it arranges the files in the following way VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_50, VF_500. Is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting particular files with a numerical suffix

Hello I have a directory with a list of files which have a particular numerical suffix. E.g filename_0 filename_1 filename_18500 filename_10000 I want to delete all files from this directory which have a filename which have a numerical suffix greater than 10540. So any files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamal_p_99
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create files with two or more variables in its names?

Hi all, Iam writing a perl script to create many files with variables in their name. i am able to do it, if iam using only one variable. But with two variables the file names are NOT getting generated in the way i want. plz help me out. 1. open(SHW,">divw_unsigned_50_50_$k.reset") or die... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
4 Replies
Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm)

NAME
Plack::App::CGIBin - cgi-bin replacement for Plack servers SYNOPSIS
use Plack::App::CGIBin; use Plack::Builder; my $app = Plack::App::CGIBin->new(root => "/path/to/cgi-bin")->to_app; builder { mount "/cgi-bin" => $app; }; # Or from the command line plackup -MPlack::App::CGIBin -e 'Plack::App::CGIBin->new(root => "/path/to/cgi-bin")->to_app' DESCRIPTION
Plack::App::CGIBin allows you to load CGI scripts from a directory and convert them into a PSGI application. This would give you the extreme easiness when you have bunch of old CGI scripts that is loaded using cgi-bin of Apache web server. HOW IT WORKS
This application checks if a given file path is a perl script and if so, uses CGI::Compile to compile a CGI script into a sub (like ModPerl::Registry) and then run it as a persistent application using CGI::Emulate::PSGI. If the given file is not a perl script, it executes the script just like a normal CGI script with fork & exec. This is like a normal web server mode and no performance benefit is achieved. The default mechanism to determine if a given file is a Perl script is as follows: o Check if the filename ends with ".pl". If yes, it is a Perl script. o Open the file and see if the shebang (first line of the file) contains the word "perl" (like "#!/usr/bin/perl"). If yes, it is a Perl script. You can customize this behavior by passing "exec_cb" callback, which takes a file path to its first argument. For example, if your perl-based CGI script uses lots of global variables and such and are not ready to run on a persistent environment, you can do: my $app = Plack::App::CGIBin->new( root => "/path/to/cgi-bin", exec_cb => sub { 1 }, )->to_app; to always force the execute option for any files. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa SEE ALSO
Plack::App::File CGI::Emulate::PSGI CGI::Compile Plack::App::WrapCGI See also Plack::App::WrapCGI if you compile one CGI script into a PSGI application without serving CGI scripts from a directory, to remove overhead of filesystem lookups, etc. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-02 Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm)