Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development Header in mobile version UNIX.com Post 303044893 by Neo on Saturday 7th of March 2020 10:41:01 PM
Old 03-07-2020
After thinking about this.....

To be honest, I am inclined to stop development and updates on the current code base and migrate the forums to discourse.

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_(software)

Code:
Discourse is an open source Internet forum and mailing list management software application founded in 2013 by Jeff Atwood, Robin Ward, and Sam Saffron.[2] Discourse received funding from First Round Capital and Greylock Partners.[3] The application is written with Ember.js”¯[4] and Ruby on Rails.[5] PostgreSQL serves as its back-end database management system.

From a usability perspective, Discourse breaks with existing forum software by including features recently popularized by large social networks, such as infinite scrolling, live updates, expanding links, and drag and drop attachments.[6] However, the stated goals of the project are social rather than technical, to improve online discussion quality through improved forum software.

The source code is distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2. Therefore Discourse can be self-hosted by anyone. Alternatively, hosting service can be bought from the company of the founders. As of October 2017, more than 700 businesses or instances have chosen this option.[7] On May 2017, co-founder Jeff Atwood said in an interview that the company is generating approximately 120,000 dollars per month at that time.[8] With the money the company pays salary for its full-time employees who maintain the software and develop new features which benefits those who are self-hosting the open source software, too. This is an example of an open source software business model where a company sells professional services to willing customers.

I think it is about time to "retire" the legacy vB site, in a controlled way.

See / continue:

Under Consideration: Migrate the Forums to Discourse

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Migrate unix version 8 to version 9

i have a program writing in PRO C which currently running in unix version 8 tie with oracle 8i, but in the future company gonna migrate this OS to version 9. Anything i have to prepare for my PRO C program to run in unix version 9? or anything would that impact my program couldn't run well? what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile App for UNIX.com?

Do we have a mobile app for unix.com? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile Friendly Version of UNIX.COM

Hello, I have noticed some problems with Google complaining our site is not "https://search.google.com/www.usearch-console/mobile-friendly" using only Tapatalk. So, after a lot of work, I have re-enabled our legacy mobile style and make some improvements and Google has declared us "mobile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Prototyping New Responsive Mobile UNIX.COM

I'm working on updates to the mobile phone view, and it's going to look much better I think. Here are some current prototypes: Prototype Mobile Home Page: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums214-picture690.jpg Prototype Mobile Search Page: ... (43 Replies)
43 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

New UNIX.COM Mobile Site Icons

Having given up for the time being with a very difficult game engine project to virtualizing cyberspace, am working on the forums again. Just updated a few icons on the mobile site. Explanations in the picture captions: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums214-picture855.jpeg ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
SERIES60-REMOTE(1)						   User Commands						SERIES60-REMOTE(1)

NAME
series60-remote - S60 mobile phone management application DESCRIPTION
usage: series60-remote [Qt-options] [options] series60-remote, manage your Series60 mobile phone Options: -v, --verbose Print verbose information - normally routine progress messages will be displayed -d, --debug Print lots of ugly debugging information -s, --sqldebug Print all executed SQL queries -l, --long Use a long format -h, --help Show help about options -a, --author Show author information -V, --version Show version information -L, --license Show license information Qt Options: -display <displayname> Use the X-server display 'displayname' -session <sessionId> Restore the application for the given 'sessionId' -cmap Causes the application to install a private color map on an 8-bit display -ncols <count> Limits the number of colors allocated in the color cube on an 8-bit display, if the application is using the QApplication::ManyColor color specification -nograb tells Qt to never grab the mouse or the keyboard -dograb running under a debugger can cause an implicit -nograb, use -dograb to override -sync switches to synchronous mode for debugging -fn, -font <fontname> defines the application font -bg, -background <color> sets the default background color and an application palette (light and dark shades are calculated) -fg, -foreground <color> sets the default foreground color -btn, -button <color> sets the default button color -name <name> sets the application name -title <title> sets the application title (caption) -visual TrueColor forces the application to use a TrueColor visual on an 8-bit display -inputstyle <inputstyle> sets XIM (X Input Method) input style. Possible values are onthespot, overthespot, offthespot and root -im <XIM server> set XIM server -noxim disable XIM -reverse mirrors the whole layout of widgets -stylesheet <file.qss> applies the Qt stylesheet to the application widgets AUTHOR
series60-remote was written by Lukas Hetzenecker <LuHe@gmx.at> This manual page was written by Michal Cihar <nijel@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). series60-remote 0.3.93 July 2010 SERIES60-REMOTE(1)