Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Move several files into specific directories with a loop Post 303044744 by RudiC on Tuesday 3rd of March 2020 02:16:10 AM
Old 03-03-2020
How is that "without much success" expressed? Error messages / warnings? Unexpected results? Explain...

A decent, detailed, consistent, complete specification pays off as you might get better replies, and sooner.

Your code sample wouldn't find any of the files in your data sample. Your variable assignments will give error messages.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing for specific directories, and using the output to move files

Hello, this is probably another really simple tasks for most of you gurus, however I am trying to make a script which takes an input, greps a specific file for that input, prints back to screen the results (which are directory names) and then be able to use the directory names to move files.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with command to Move files by X number to seperate directories

Hello, I need help finding a script that will allow me to move files from one directory to another directory 10k files at a time. I have a directory that has 100 K files in it. I need to have those 100k files broken apart to separate directories each with 10k files in them. Here is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geo_Bean
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Batch file to move video files and retain sub-directories

I have just purchased my first ever Apple computer - and am therefore new to UNIX also. I would like to create a simple "batch file" (apologies if this is the wrong terminology) to do the following: When I plug my camera into the MAC it automatically downloads photos and videos into a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm0mss
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move multipe files to corresponding directories

Hi, In a parent directory there are several files in the form IDENTIFIER1x IDENTIFIER1.yyy IDENTIFIER1_Z, etc IDENTIFIER2x IDENTIFIER2.yyy IDENTIFIER2_Z, etc IDENTIFIER3x IDENTIFIER3.yyy, IDENTIFIER3_Z, etcIn the same parent directory there are corresponding directories named... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirospap
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need BASH Script Help to Move Files While Creating Directories

I've got this script to loop through all folders and move files that are more than 2 years old. I'm using the install command because it creates the necessary directories on the destination path and then I remove the source. I'd like to change the script to use the mv command since it is much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: consultant
4 Replies
cupstestppd(1)							    Apple Inc.							    cupstestppd(1)

NAME
cupstestppd - test conformance of ppd files SYNOPSIS
cupstestppd [ -I category ] [ -R rootdir ] [ -W category ] [ -q ] [-r] [ -v[v] ] filename.ppd[.gz] [ ... filenameN.ppd[.gz] ] cupstestppd [ -R rootdir ] [ -W category ] [ -q ] [-r] [ -v[v] ] - DESCRIPTION
cupstestppd tests the conformance of PPD files to the Adobe PostScript Printer Description file format specification version 4.3. It can also be used to list the supported options and available fonts in a PPD file. The results of testing and any other output are sent to the standard output. The first form of cupstestppd tests one or more PPD files on the command-line. The second form tests the PPD file provided on the standard input. OPTIONS
cupstestppd supports the following options: -I filename Ignores all PCFileName warnings. -I filters Ignores all filter errors. -I profiles Ignores all profile errors. -R rootdir Specifies an alternate root directory for the filter, pre-filter, and other support file checks. -W constraints Report all UIConstraint errors as warnings. -W defaults Except for size-related options, report all default option errors as warnings. -W filters Report all filter errors as warnings. -W profiles Report all profile errors as warnings. -W sizes Report all media size errors as warnings. -W translations Report all translation errors as warnings. -W all Report all of the previous errors as warnings. -W none Report all of the previous errors as errors. -q Specifies that no information should be displayed. -r Relaxes the PPD conformance requirements so that common whitespace, control character, and formatting problems are not treated as hard errors. -v Specifies that detailed conformance testing results should be displayed rather than the concise PASS/FAIL/ERROR status. -vv Specifies that all information in the PPD file should be displayed in addition to the detailed conformance testing results. The -q, -v, and -vv options are mutually exclusive. EXIT STATUS
cupstestppd returns zero on success and non-zero on error. The error codes are as follows: 1 Bad command-line arguments or missing PPD filename. 2 Unable to open or read PPD file. 3 The PPD file contains format errors that cannot be skipped. 4 The PPD file does not conform to the Adobe PPD specification. EXAMPLES
The following command will test all PPD files under the current directory and print the names of each file that does not conform: find . -name *.ppd ! -exec cupstestppd -q '{}' ; -print The next command tests all PPD files under the current directory and print detailed conformance testing results for the files that do not conform: find . -name *.ppd ! -exec cupstestppd -q '{}' ; -exec cupstestppd -v '{}' ; SEE ALSO
lpadmin(8), http://localhost:631/help Adobe PostScript Printer Description File Format Specification, Version 4.3. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 19 November 2009 CUPS cupstestppd(1)