Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Should I use a CoW filesystem on my PC if I only wanted snapshot capabilities ? Post 303044655 by Neo on Friday 28th of February 2020 10:22:04 PM
Old 02-28-2020
Thanks drl,

Honestly, I have tried a similar approach on macOS, but even with a 12-core machine with 64 GB of memory on my desktop, all flavors of VMs slow the machine down to an intolerable degree. After all, running in a VM, by definition, is slower than running "on bare metal".

My guess is that your desktop VM configuration on Linux runs a lot better, since you are a bit fan.

Because I prefer the fastest speed possible (we are talking desktop operations) I find that using the built in macOS time machine to keep data based up works great; so in this configuration, I keep my machine running the fastest possible (running "bare metal" not in a VM) and at the same time my data is always backed up an external disk.

Maybe we mac users are lucky because time machine works so well and is very easy to use for users of all skill levels?

From the big wiki in the sky:

Quote:
Time Machine creates incremental backups of files that can be restored at a later date.[1] It allows the user to restore the whole system or specific files from the Recovery HD or the macOS Install DVD. It works within Mail, iWork, iLife, and several other compatible programs, making it possible to restore individual objects (e.g. emails, photos, contacts, calendar events) without leaving the application. According to an Apple support statement:

“Time Machine is a backup utility, not an archival utility, it is not intended as offline storage. Time Machine captures the most recent state of your data on your disk. As snapshots age, they are prioritized progressively lower compared to your more recent ones.”¯[2]

For backups to a network drive, Time Machine allows the user to back up Mac computers over the network, and supports backing up to certain network attached storage devices or servers, depending on the version of Time Machine. Earlier versions worked with a wide variety of NAS servers, but later versions require the server to support a recent version of Apple's Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), and Time Machine no longer works with servers using earlier versions of the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol[3] typical for Windows servers. Some of the legacy support can be re-enabled by using hand-tuned configuration options, accessed through the Terminal. Apple's Time Capsule acts as a network storage device specifically for Time Machine backups, allowing both wired and wireless backups to the Time Capsule's internal hard drive. Time Machine may also be used with any external or internal volume.

Time Machine saves hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything older than a month until the volume runs out of space. At that point, Time Machine deletes the oldest weekly backup.
REF: Time Machine (macOS - Wikipedia)

As I mentioned before, on my Linux servers in production, I run ext4 on all of them using RAID1 and make incremental and full backups of all mission critical data on a daily basis. Of course, remote servers are different compared desktops; and so that is why I prefer macOS and time machine on the desktop.

Naturally, everyone has different setups and preferences, so it is great to see people sharing their ideas openly and open-mindedly.

I do not recommend the filesystems the OP suggested (ZFS or btrfs) on Linux and as mentioned, and prefer a different backup strategy (but then again, I don't user Linux on the desktop, as mentioned, but If I used Linux on the desktop instead of macOS, I would still use ext4. This file system (ext) has served me well over the many years and I cannot recall a single problem related to the ext filesystem 27 years of Linux experience. I like "reliable" and "proven" in a filesystem... even if it is not the "most fancy SOTA out there.).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Capabilities?

We are looking into buying a new software, billing software that is, and want to know if you can run that on the same UNIX server as another major software? Is there a limit to the different types of software Unix can run, or is it like windows where you can install as many as you like? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

p570 Capabilities

Hi there. I've been tasked with making a new design for our Unix systems :eek: Now the question I have is; How many LPARs can a p570 hold WITHOUT using a VIO Server. Many Thanks Kees (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Adding capabilities to an RPM

Hi. I downloaded a package that could only be installed on RHEL5, and not 4 or 3, so I got the source in order to compile it on RHEL 3 so hopefully it will work on all versions. So I have the source for a working package, but when I build it in RHEL 3 and then try to install it in RHEL 5, it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boaz
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Wanted: Geographically distributed filesystem solution

I'm looking for a means to ensure that servers in the two or three datacenters, connected in a ring via IP through two ISPs, can distribute load and/or replicate data among at least two SAN-class disk devices. I want to evaluate several solutions, and I'm open to solutions ranging from free,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot use filesystem while sending a snapshot

I've got a Solaris 11 Express installed on my machine. I have created a raidz2 zpool named shares and a simple one-disc zpool named backup. I have made a script that would send a daily snapshot of shares to backup. I use these commands zfs snapshot shares@DDMMRRRRHHMM zfs send -i shares@....... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RychnD
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use of Capabilities

I wonder if anyone could assist with some problems I'm having with Linux Capabilities and their use when using the commands "nice" and "schedtool". I run a couple of PCs, one is an elderly AMD Sempron 2800+ (32-bit, 2GHz clock and 3GB memory) that is used as a family multimedia system running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeGM
3 Replies

7. Linux

Broadcom under Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)

So I'm having a problem getting a Broadcom BCM4312 wireless controller to work under the broadcom-wl module $uname Linux 3.8.11-200.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 1 19:44:27 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux lspci -v 05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skrynesaver
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux capabilities discussion

Hi I'm trying to compile my linux kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y. any idea what this thing does ?? Also another question , If I compile the kernel that I'm currently using , what'll happen ? ~cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Anybody want to talk about Dirty Cow?

Hi All, How worried is everyone about the Dirty Cow Linux exploit? Has anybody experienced attacks yet? From the research I've done it seems that the exploit is "reliable" (that is it works nearly every time on vulverable systems) which is not good news. We all believe that Unix/Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
3 Replies