Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Should I use a CoW filesystem on my PC if I only wanted snapshot capabilities ? Post 303044632 by Neo on Friday 28th of February 2020 09:22:40 AM
Old 02-28-2020
No.

I do not recommend those file systems.

Your are better off running ext4, a RAID configuration (I run RAID1, but do not depend on it), and doing regular backups on your data based on your risk management model (this is the most critical).

Nothing beats a strong filesystem and a very well thought out backup and recovery plan.

That is my view. YMMV

On the desktop, I run macOS and have a similar strategy. I make full backups often, based on the activity on the system. The more activity and files (and the nature of the files) created, the more frequent the backups.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Capabilities?

We are looking into buying a new software, billing software that is, and want to know if you can run that on the same UNIX server as another major software? Is there a limit to the different types of software Unix can run, or is it like windows where you can install as many as you like? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

p570 Capabilities

Hi there. I've been tasked with making a new design for our Unix systems :eek: Now the question I have is; How many LPARs can a p570 hold WITHOUT using a VIO Server. Many Thanks Kees (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Adding capabilities to an RPM

Hi. I downloaded a package that could only be installed on RHEL5, and not 4 or 3, so I got the source in order to compile it on RHEL 3 so hopefully it will work on all versions. So I have the source for a working package, but when I build it in RHEL 3 and then try to install it in RHEL 5, it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boaz
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Wanted: Geographically distributed filesystem solution

I'm looking for a means to ensure that servers in the two or three datacenters, connected in a ring via IP through two ISPs, can distribute load and/or replicate data among at least two SAN-class disk devices. I want to evaluate several solutions, and I'm open to solutions ranging from free,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot use filesystem while sending a snapshot

I've got a Solaris 11 Express installed on my machine. I have created a raidz2 zpool named shares and a simple one-disc zpool named backup. I have made a script that would send a daily snapshot of shares to backup. I use these commands zfs snapshot shares@DDMMRRRRHHMM zfs send -i shares@....... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RychnD
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use of Capabilities

I wonder if anyone could assist with some problems I'm having with Linux Capabilities and their use when using the commands "nice" and "schedtool". I run a couple of PCs, one is an elderly AMD Sempron 2800+ (32-bit, 2GHz clock and 3GB memory) that is used as a family multimedia system running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeGM
3 Replies

7. Linux

Broadcom under Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)

So I'm having a problem getting a Broadcom BCM4312 wireless controller to work under the broadcom-wl module $uname Linux 3.8.11-200.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 1 19:44:27 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux lspci -v 05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skrynesaver
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux capabilities discussion

Hi I'm trying to compile my linux kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y. any idea what this thing does ?? Also another question , If I compile the kernel that I'm currently using , what'll happen ? ~cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Anybody want to talk about Dirty Cow?

Hi All, How worried is everyone about the Dirty Cow Linux exploit? Has anybody experienced attacks yet? From the research I've done it seems that the exploit is "reliable" (that is it works nearly every time on vulverable systems) which is not good news. We all believe that Unix/Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
3 Replies
FS_SNAPSHOT_CREATE(2)					      BSD System Calls Manual					     FS_SNAPSHOT_CREATE(2)

NAME
fs_snasphot_create -- create read only snapshot of a mounted filesystem SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/attr.h> #include <sys/snapshot.h> int fs_snapshot_create(int dirfd, const char * name, uint32_t flags); int fs_snapshot_delete(int dirfd, const char * name, uint32_t flags); int fs_snapshot_list(int dirfd, struct attrlist * name, void * attrbuf, size_t bufsize, uint32_t flags); int fs_snapshot_rename(int dirfd, const char * old, const char * new, uint32_t flags); int fs_snapshot_mount(int dirfd, const char * dir, const char * snapshot, uint32_t flags); int fs_snapshot_revert(int dirfd, const char * name, uint32_t flags); DESCRIPTION
The fs_snapshot_create() function, for supported Filesystems, causes a snapshot of the Filesystem to be created. A snapshot is a read only copy of the filesystem frozen at a point in time. The Filesystem is identified by the dirfd parameter which should be a file descriptor associated with the root directory of the filesystem for which the snapshot is to be created. name can be any valid name for a component name (except . and ..). The fs_snapshot_delete() function causes the named snapshot name to be deleted and the fs_snapshot_rename() function causes the named snapshot old to be renamed to the name new. Available snapshots along with their attributes can be listed by calling fs_snapshot_list() which is to be used in exactly the same way as getattrlistbulk(2). The flags parameter specifies the options that can be passed. No options are currently defined. Snapshots may be useful for backing up the Filesystem and to restore the Filesystem to a previous state. Snapshots are expected to consume no additional storage on creation but might consume additional storage as the active Filesystem is modified. Similarly deletion of files on the active filesystem may not result in the storage being available if the snapshot contains the file. Additionally, the underlying Filesys- tem may impose a limit on the number of snapshots that can be taken. For supporting Filesystems, a snapshot may be used as a source for a mount. This can be done by the fs_snapshot_mount() function. The snapshot will be mounted read only. When a snapshot is mounted, it cannot be deleted but it can be renamed. To revert the filesystem to a previous snapshot, the fs_snapshot_revert() can be used. It should be noted that reverting a filesystem to a snapshot is a destructive operation and causes all changes made to the filesystem (including snapshots cre- ated after the snapshot being reverted to) to be lost. All snapshot functions require superuser privileges and also require an additional entitlement. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fs_snapshot_create() , fs_snapshot_delete() and fs_snapshot_rename() returns 0. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. fs_snapshot_list() returns the number of entries successfully read. A return value of 0 indicates there are no more entries. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. Return values are the same as getattrlistbulk(2). COMPATIBILITY
Not all volumes support snapshots. A volume can be tested for snapshot support by using getattrlist(2) to get the volume capabilities attribute ATTR_VOL_CAPABILITIES, and then testing the VOL_CAP_INT_SNAPSHOT flag. ERRORS
The fs_snapshot_create() , fs_snapshot_delete() , fs_snapshot_rename() and fs_snapshot_list() function will fail if: [EACCES] Read permissions are denied for the caller on the filesystem [ENOTSUP] The underlying filesystem does not support this call. [EINVAL] The value of the flags parameter is invalid. [ENOSPC] There is no free space remaining on the file system containing the file. [ENOSPC] The limit for the maximum number of snapshots for a filesystem has been reached. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. [EPERM] The calling process does not have appropriate privileges. [EROFS] The requested operation requires modifications in a read-only file system. [ENAMETOOLONG] The length of a component of a pathname is longer than {NAME_MAX}. [EBADF] dirfd is not a valid file descriptor. [ENOTDIR] dirfd is a file descriptor associated with a non-directory file. In addition, the fs_snapshot_create() or fs_snapshot_rename() functions may fail with the following errors [EEXIST] The The named snapshot to be created already exists or the new name already exists for the snapshot being renamed. fs_snapshot_create() or fs_snapshot_rename() functions may fail with the following errors [ENOENT] The named snapshot does not exist. fs_snapshot_delete() function may fail with [EBUSY] The named snapshot is currently mounted. SEE ALSO
getattrlist(2), getattrlistbulk(2) HISTORY
The fs_snapshot_create() , fs_snapshot_delete() , fs_snapshot_delete() and fs_snapshot_list() function calls appeared in macOS version 10.13 Darwin July 4th, 2017 Darwin