Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to use cat grep and cut together? Post 303044555 by RudiC on Wednesday 26th of February 2020 09:54:31 AM
Old 02-26-2020
Not sure what either file's contents is. For the original file, try

Code:
awk  '! /^Host/ {split ($1, T1, "\."); split ($NF, T2, "\."); print T1[1], T2[1]}' nameserver2.txt

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat and grep not working

I am trying to cat a file and then grep that file for a number. I can do it fine on other files but this particular file will not do anything. I tried running it on an older file from the same device but it is just not working. The file is nothing more than a flat file on a unix box. Here is just a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jphess
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat, grep and tee to a local file

Hi, This is what I am trying to do. 1) connect to 3 remote servers from my local machine serverA serverB serverC 2) read error file from each server cat /var/lib/mysql/mydb.err 3) grep for lines displaying "yesterday" date grep "`date +%y%m%d' '-d\"1 day ago\"`" 4) Append those lines to a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat or cut to delimit csv?

Hi, Im a pretty large noob to linux/perl etc and im trying to use mysql slurp to take a delimited file and import it into mysql using stdin (in the hope its faster) mysqlslurp - slurp <STDIN> into a MySQL table - search.cpan.org Christopher Brown / MySQL-Slurp - search.cpan.org Using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtony
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat /etc/passwd and grep -v on /etc/shells

Hi All, I'd like to do this cat /etc/passwd and grep -v on the /etc/shells list I'd like to find all shell that doesn't exist on the /etc/passwd. Is there an easy way without doing a egrep -v "/bin/sh|/bin/bash................"? How do I use a file /etc/shells as my list for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat -n and grep

I am not sure if using cat -n is the most efficient way to split a file into multiple files, one file per line in the source file. I thought using cat -n would make it easy to process the file because it produces an output that numbers each line that I could then grep for with the regex "^ *$i".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or cat using sed

Is there a way using grep or cat a file to create a new file based on whether the first 9 positions of each record is less than 399999999? This is a fixed file format. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ski
3 Replies

7. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and cat combined

Hello, i need to search one word (snp1) from many files and copy the content of the columns of this word in new file. example: file 1: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.01 snp2 2 2 0.05 . . file 2: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.06 snp2 2 2 0.3 output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopsy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace cat and grep with <

Hello someone told me to use OS=`awk '{print int($3)}' < /etc/redhat-release` instead of OS=cat /etc/redhat-release | `awk '{print int($3)}'` any idea for the reason ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or cat The Whole Directory PROBLEMS :(

Hi Guys This is my first post so I am not sure how things go here. I'm sorry if I'm breaking the rule or something. Feel free to correct me about that :) So as I was saying... I'd been trying to grep this folder containing 900,000 txt files but seems no luck. I get either "No such file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)