Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Extremely low throughput between AIX 7.2 and RHEL Maipo Post 303044537 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 25th of February 2020 03:47:57 PM
Old 02-25-2020
I wonder why the shown MTU is 1460 while the standard is 1500.
But if your LAN switch/router works better with 1460 then try to set it on the other box, too.

I remember a similar issue (severe packet loss), where all Linux systems had the standard MTU 1500. The LAN guy changed the MTU on the LAN switch (or router?), and that fixed it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Gigabit Link throughput

As a rule of thumb in doing calculations, what figure would you use in Mbytes/sec? I know the answer varies grealty on the topolgy of the network but I wonde what newteok engineers use a rough rule of thumb? Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debd
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to improve throughput?

I have a 10Gbps network link connecting two machines A and B. I want to transfer 20GB data from A to B using TCP. With default setting, I can use 50% bandwidth. How to improve the throughput? Is there any way to make throughput as close to 10Gbps as possible? thanks~ :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewust
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SOLARIS vs AIX vs RHEL

Hi I'm wondering what are the differences between SOLARIS, AIX and RHEL ? I would like to know in which operating system is best for what kind of implementation ? Why some companies use Solaris instead of e.g. AIX and etc. ? thx for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

4. AIX

Migrating RHEL 5 UNIX users to AIX

Hi, I'm able to migrate UNIX users/groups from Solaris to AIX (with same password using 13-char encrypted password from shadow file) but no luck with RHEL 5 to AIX. I see encrypted password in RHEL 5 is bit lengthier than 13-char. Is there any way to convert encrypted password such that same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddyr
1 Replies

5. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

High RAM usage, extremely low swapping

Hi team I have three physical servers running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 with the following memory conditions: # cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i mem MemTotal: 8062888 kB MemFree: 184540 kB Shmem: 516 kB and the following swap conditions: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help understanding differences between AIX and RHEL

I have started a new job which requires AIX admin skills, which I have, and RHEL skills. Does anyone have a cheat sheet that if I know how to solve the problem in AIX how would I do that in RHEL? I was an IBM pre-sales technical trying to keep sales guys honest - not possible. Any other links to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpenceSnyder
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX to RHEL migration - awk treating 0e[0-9]+ as 0 instead of string issue

Greetings Experts, We are migrating from AIX to RHEL Linux. I have created a script to verify and report the NULLs and SPACEs in the key columns and duplicates on key combination of "|" delimited set of big files. Following is the code that was successfully running in AIX. awk -F "|" 'BEGIN {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
5 Replies

9. AIX

Question about shared filesystem btw AIX and RHEL

We found out that the Spectrum Scale (GPFS) doesnt support mix nodes (AIX and RHEL) on direct attached storage. Is there any other options besides NFS for mix O/S? Trying to avoid network type of shared filesystem which might end up high traffic on IO because we do run backup jobs on those... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiasu
0 Replies
TRACEPATH(8)						 System Manager's Manual: iputils					      TRACEPATH(8)

NAME
tracepath, tracepath6 - traces path to a network host discovering MTU along this path SYNOPSIS
tracepath destination [ port] DESCRIPTION
It traces path to destination discovering MTU along this path. It uses UDP port port or some random port. It is similar to traceroute, only does not not require superuser privileges and has no fancy options. tracepath6 is good replacement for traceroute6 and classic example of application of Linux error queues. The situation with tracepath is worse, because commercial IP routers do not return enough information in icmp error messages. Probably, it will change, when they will be updated. For now it uses Van Jacobson's trick, sweeping a range of UDP ports to maintain trace history. OUTPUT
root@mops:~ # tracepath6 3ffe:2400:0:109::2 1?: [LOCALHOST] pmtu 1500 1: dust.inr.ac.ru 0.411ms 2: dust.inr.ac.ru asymm 1 0.390ms pmtu 1480 2: 3ffe:2400:0:109::2 463.514ms reached Resume: pmtu 1480 hops 2 back 2 The first column shows TTL of the probe, followed by colon. Usually value of TTL is obtained from reply from network, but sometimes reply does not contain necessary information and we have to guess it. In this case the number is followed by ?. The second column shows the network hop, which replied to the probe. It is either address of router or word [LOCALHOST], if the probe was not sent to the network. The rest of line shows miscellaneous information about path to the correspinding hetwork hop. As rule it contains value of RTT. Addition- ally, it can show Path MTU, when it changes. If the path is asymmetric or the probe finishes before it reach prescribed hop, difference between number of hops in forward and backward direction is shown folloing keyword async. This information is not reliable. F.e. the third line shows asymmetry of 1, it is because the first probe with TTL of 2 was rejected at the first hop due to Path MTU Discovery. Te last line summarizes information about all the path to the destination, it shows detected Path MTU, amount of hops to the destination and our guess about amount of hops from the destination to us, which can be different when the path is asymmetric. SEE ALSO
traceroute(8), traceroute6(8), ping(8). AUTHOR
tracepath was written by Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>. SECURITY
No security issues. This lapidary deserves to be elaborated. tracepath is not a privileged program, unlike traceroute, ping and other beasts of this kind. tracepath may be executed by everyone who has some access to network, enough to send UDP datagrams to investigated destination using given port. AVAILABILITY
tracepath is part of iputils package and the latest versions are available in source form from anonymous ftp ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-rout- ing/iputils-current.tar.gz. iputils-020927 27 September 2002 TRACEPATH(8)