Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to force multicast packet to go via different interface? Post 303044535 by solaris_1977 on Tuesday 25th of February 2020 01:15:10 PM
Old 02-25-2020
I found the issue, it was tricky.

Multicast packets are going through admin interface because it is managed by /lib/svc/method/net-svc configuration. One of its parameter says
Code:
if [ "$_INIT_NET_STRATEGY" = "dhcp" ]; then 
        mcastif=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Yiaddr` || mcastif=$_INIT_UTS_NODENAME 
else 
        mcastif=$_INIT_UTS_NODENAME 
fi

It says multicast should go via NODENAME. That means, whatever is hostname and uname -n returns. By default hostname is set to admin interface. Two changes I made :

-Changed hostname and zonename in /etc/hosts, so at zonemanager level, it look to pubic IP
-In zonecfg, I moved up the public interface, so it goes FIRST in zone description file.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to solaris_1977 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Joining multicast group on IPADDR_ANY - which interface?

Hello all, I have the following question: if you join a multicast group (with setsockopt() and IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP) and specify INADDR_ANY as network interface to join on, the kernel is supposed to choose which interface to use (if there are multiple network interfaces, of course). Does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexI
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Double question: Apache mod_proxy and force connection over specific interface

Double question here ... Running on Debian Etch and Apache 2.0 1) Using mod_proxy and/or mod_proxy_http in apache 2.0. The basics of using mod_proxy are pretty simple so long as you're using a static config. I'm trying to figure out how to do it dynamically - that is, allow the entry of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Halfwalker
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Reboot, System is Frozen at setting interface for multicast HELP

I'm not an advanced user by any strech, that being said here is my problem: I ran "reboot" on a sun blade 2500 When loading up it runs through the usual routine, checking disks, filesystems and then it locks up after the following message: ***** starting rpc services: rpcbind... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eyukins
6 Replies

4. Solaris

How to force the LAN interface running on 10M

Hi all, I would like to force the LAN card to use 10MB instead of 100MB in UNIX enviroment, please help. thanks! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Felixkoo
3 Replies

5. Solaris

how to force e1000g0 interface in solaris 10

Hi all, I encounter some problem with my e1000g interface running on sol 10. I can't permanently change the auto-nego to disable, if i use ndd commands, it will only stay until the next reboot. But i can't change the link speed either is set to /etc/init.d/nddconfig or using ndd commands. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mailbox80
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to determine network interface that will be used to send a packet for an IP

Hello, I'm writing to you because I encountered the following problem. My program displayes all network interfaces that are available in the system, but I would like to add a functionality in which a user can enter a destination address IP (ex. the IP address of the Google search engine) and will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foxrafi
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Packet loss on ce interface.

Hi, I am using the ce interface on my Solaris 9 server and there is significant packet loss when transmitting large packets. Does anyone have a fix for this? ----10.1.0.0 PING Statistics---- 51 packets transmitted, 42 packets received, 17% packet loss round-trip (ms) min/avg/max =... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
12 Replies

8. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Packet going out of wrong interface due to OS automatically added cache route with lower metric

RHEL 7.0, IPV6 Scenario: I have routed specific network using network scripts. 1. "ip -6 route show" shows that route has been added. ( with metric 1024) 2. Ping of the specific IP through that route is successful. 3. Now after few days, for some reason, we see that cache route appears for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msr1981
3 Replies
smcroute(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       smcroute(8)

NAME
SMCRoute - Static Multicast Router (-Interface) - Version 0.95 SYNOPSIS
smcroute < options > < commands > options -d - start daemon -v - verbose output -D - enable debug logging commands - common -h - print help -k - kill daemon commands - multicast routing related -a <InputIntf> <OriginIpAdr> <McGroupAdr> <OutputIntf> [<OutputIntf>] ... - add route -r <InputIntf> <OriginIpAdr> <McGroupAdr> - remove route commands - multicast signaling related -j <InputIntf> <McGroupAdr> - join MC group -l <InputIntf> <McGroupAdr> - leave MC group DESCRIPTION
SMCRoute is a command line tool to manipulate the multicast routes of the Linux kernel. It supports both IPv4 and IPv6 multicast routing. SMCRoute can be used as an alternative to dynamic multicast routers like 'mrouted' in situations where static multicast routes should be maintained and/or no proper IGMP or MLD signaling exists. Generally multicast routes exists in the kernel only as long as smcroute or another multicast routing daemon is running. Only one multicast routing daemon can be active at a time, so it's impossible to run smcroute and e.g. 'mrouted' at the same time. The -d option smcroute is used to start the smcroute daemon. Otherwise, smcroute searches for an already running smcroute daemon and passes the commands to it. The -k option will terminate a running daemon. Multicast routes can be added with the -a command and removed with the -r command. A multicast route is defined by an input interface (<IntputIntf>), a unicast IP origin address (<OriginIpAdr>), a multicast group (<McGroupAdr>) and a list of output interfaces (<OutputIntf> ...). The origin and multicast group addresses must both be IPv4 addresses or IPv6 addresses. If IPv4 addresses are specified then SMCRoute will operate on the IPv4 multicast routes. If IPv6 addresses are specified then SMCRoute will operate on the IPv6 multicast routes. The output interfaces must not be given with the -r as the first three parameter are sufficient to identify the route to remove. The intention of SMCRoute is to help in situation where dynamic multicast routing does not work properly, but dynamic multicast routing is in nearly all cases the preferred solution. SMCRoute supports dynamic multicast routing with the multicast group 'join' -j and 'leave' -l commands. For both commands the input interface on which the multicast sessions should be received (<InputIntf>) and the multicast group address <McGroupAdr> must be given. The <McGroupAdr> may be an IPv4 or IPv6 address. Superuser rights are necessary to start the smcroute daemon or to communicate with the daemon. OPTIONS
-d Starts the smcroute daemon before any of the optional following commands are executed. -v Gives verbose output in some error situations (don't expect too much, check syslog instead). -D Gives additional debug messages in normal use (don't expect too much, see syslog instead). COMMANDS
-a <InputIntf> <OriginIpAdr> <McGroupAdr> <OutputIntf> [<OutputIntf>] ... The command is passed to the daemon that adds the given multicast route to the kernel's routing table. <InputIntf> can be any net- work interface as listed by 'ifconfig' or 'ip link list' (incl. tunnel interfaces), but not the loopback interface. <OriginIpAdr> is the source IP address of the multicast packets that will be routed by this entry. It is a unicast IPv4 or IPv6 address and not a multicast IP address. <McGroupAdr> is the IPv4 or IPv6 address of the multicast group that will be forwarded. <OutputIntf> [<Out- putIntf>] ... is a list of one or more network interfaces to which the multicast packets will be forwarded. The same rules for the selection of output interfaces applies as for the input interface. Warning, by using multiple output interfaces (traffic multiplication), using the input interface also as output interface (direct loop) or constructing some other forms of indirect loop you can flood you network. -r <InputIntf> <OriginIpAdr> <McGroupAdr> The command is passed to the daemon that removes a multicast route previously added with the -a command. The parameters are identi- cal except to the omitted list of <OutputIntf>. -j <InputIntf> <McGroupAdr> The command is passed to the daemon that passes it to the kernel. The kernel then tries to join the multicast group <McGroupAdr> on interface <InputIntf> by starting IGMP (or MLD if <McGroupAdr> is an IPv6 address) signaling on <InputIntf>. This signaling may be received by routers connected to <InputIntf>'s network that support IGMP/MLD multicast signaling and then hopfuly start forwarding of the requested multicast session to <InputIntf>'s network. With this command smcroute allows the integration of nodes that needs static multicast routing into dynamic multicast routing net- works. -l <InputIntf> <McGroupAdr> The command is passed via the daemon to the kernel that initiate a 'leave' for a previously 'joined' multicast group. LIMITS
The current version compiles and runs fine with the Linux kernel version 2.4. The known limits are: Multicast routes: more then 200 Multicast group membership: max. 20 FILES
/proc/net/ip_mr_cache - contains the active IPv4 multicast routes /proc/net/ip_mr_vif - contains the IPv4 'virtual' interfaces used by the active multicast routing daemon /proc/net/ip6_mr_cache - contains the active IPv6 multicast routes /proc/net/ip6_mr_vif - contains the IPv6 'virtual' interfaces used by the active multicast routing daemon /var/run/smcroute - IPC socket created by the smcroute daemon SEE ALSO
mrouted BUGS
The English wording of this man page. AUTHORS
smcroute was originally written by Carsten Schill <carsten@cschill.de>, support for IPv6 was added by Todd Hayton <todd.hayton@gmail.com>, support for FreeBSD was added by Micha Lenk <micha@debian.org>. The source code is now maintained by Todd Hayton <todd.hayton@gmail.com>, Micha Lenk <micha@debian.org> and Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org>. The current version is available at: http://alioth.debian.org/projects/smcroute TIPS
A lot of extra information is sent under the daemon facility and the debug priority to the syslog daemon. August 08, 2011 smcroute(8)