Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to force multicast packet to go via different interface? Post 303044535 by solaris_1977 on Tuesday 25th of February 2020 01:15:10 PM
Old 02-25-2020
I found the issue, it was tricky.

Multicast packets are going through admin interface because it is managed by /lib/svc/method/net-svc configuration. One of its parameter says
Code:
if [ "$_INIT_NET_STRATEGY" = "dhcp" ]; then 
        mcastif=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Yiaddr` || mcastif=$_INIT_UTS_NODENAME 
else 
        mcastif=$_INIT_UTS_NODENAME 
fi

It says multicast should go via NODENAME. That means, whatever is hostname and uname -n returns. By default hostname is set to admin interface. Two changes I made :

-Changed hostname and zonename in /etc/hosts, so at zonemanager level, it look to pubic IP
-In zonecfg, I moved up the public interface, so it goes FIRST in zone description file.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to solaris_1977 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Joining multicast group on IPADDR_ANY - which interface?

Hello all, I have the following question: if you join a multicast group (with setsockopt() and IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP) and specify INADDR_ANY as network interface to join on, the kernel is supposed to choose which interface to use (if there are multiple network interfaces, of course). Does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexI
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Double question: Apache mod_proxy and force connection over specific interface

Double question here ... Running on Debian Etch and Apache 2.0 1) Using mod_proxy and/or mod_proxy_http in apache 2.0. The basics of using mod_proxy are pretty simple so long as you're using a static config. I'm trying to figure out how to do it dynamically - that is, allow the entry of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Halfwalker
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Reboot, System is Frozen at setting interface for multicast HELP

I'm not an advanced user by any strech, that being said here is my problem: I ran "reboot" on a sun blade 2500 When loading up it runs through the usual routine, checking disks, filesystems and then it locks up after the following message: ***** starting rpc services: rpcbind... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eyukins
6 Replies

4. Solaris

How to force the LAN interface running on 10M

Hi all, I would like to force the LAN card to use 10MB instead of 100MB in UNIX enviroment, please help. thanks! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Felixkoo
3 Replies

5. Solaris

how to force e1000g0 interface in solaris 10

Hi all, I encounter some problem with my e1000g interface running on sol 10. I can't permanently change the auto-nego to disable, if i use ndd commands, it will only stay until the next reboot. But i can't change the link speed either is set to /etc/init.d/nddconfig or using ndd commands. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mailbox80
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to determine network interface that will be used to send a packet for an IP

Hello, I'm writing to you because I encountered the following problem. My program displayes all network interfaces that are available in the system, but I would like to add a functionality in which a user can enter a destination address IP (ex. the IP address of the Google search engine) and will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foxrafi
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Packet loss on ce interface.

Hi, I am using the ce interface on my Solaris 9 server and there is significant packet loss when transmitting large packets. Does anyone have a fix for this? ----10.1.0.0 PING Statistics---- 51 packets transmitted, 42 packets received, 17% packet loss round-trip (ms) min/avg/max =... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
12 Replies

8. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Packet going out of wrong interface due to OS automatically added cache route with lower metric

RHEL 7.0, IPV6 Scenario: I have routed specific network using network scripts. 1. "ip -6 route show" shows that route has been added. ( with metric 1024) 2. Ping of the specific IP through that route is successful. 3. Now after few days, for some reason, we see that cache route appears for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msr1981
3 Replies
IFMCSTAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       IFMCSTAT(8)

NAME
ifmcstat -- dump multicast group management statistics per interface SYNOPSIS
ifmcstat [-i interface] [-f address-family] [-v] [-K] [-M core] [-N system] DESCRIPTION
The ifmcstat command dumps multicast group information from the kernel. The following options are supported: -i interface specifies the interface to be displayed. -f address-family specifies the address family to be displayed; inet, inet6 and link are supported. -v specifies that link-layer memberships should be printed; they are suppressed by default. It may not be specified for -f link. Source lists for each group will also be printed. If specified twice, and kvm(3) is in use, the control plane timers for each interface and the source list counters for each group will also be printed. The following options are only available if ifmcstat has been built with support for kvm(3): -K attempts to use kvm(3) to retrieve the multicast group information. -M core extracts values associated with the name list from the specified core, instead of the default /dev/kmem. -N system extracts the name list from the specified kernel instead of the default, which is the kernel image the system has booted from. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
ifmcstat will always print the embedded scope IDs of IPv6 multicast group memberships. This is because memberships are always scoped to an interface. When run with the -v option, ifmcstat may print multicast MAC addresses twice if they are referenced by a layer 3 protocol. When run with kvm(3) support, the names of all interfaces configured in the system will be printed in the first column of output, even if no multicast group memberships are present on those interfaces. The output may also be slightly different, as the kernel data structures are being traversed with minimal post-processing of the output. When built without kvm(3) support, the information displayed by ifmcstat is more limited. This support is recommended for debugging pur- poses. It requires super-user privilege if used to inspect a running kernel. SEE ALSO
netstat(1), getifaddrs(3), getifmaddrs(3), kvm(3) BSD
May 27, 2009 BSD